It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:25 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

*I JUST WANT EVERYONE TO KNOW THIS IS A PERSONAL STORY AND I AM NOT EMBARASSED BUT THIS IS MY FIRST TRUE POST TELLING ALL THESE PEOPLE THIS TYPE OF INFO ON ME*

This is my situation and I don’t know if you are a doctor or not. But maybe you can guide me to the right person to talk to or tell me how to use this site a little better. I know nothing about this site.

I went into a pain management clinic due to my spine having arthritis along with bulging disks and the beginning of bone deterioration. Since there are signs of legitimate problems causing me pain the doctors there prescribed me 60mg of oxycodone a day. I was doing that for about 4 months and then they told me they were going to take me off of the pain meds 1mg a month. I did not want to do it that slow so I stopped going to that dr. as soon as I found a psychiatrist that would treat me in an out-patient detox. I went to him every Saturday for about 7-8 weeks. Week 1 I was on 8mg of suboxone a day, week 2 I was on 6mg of suboxone a day, week 3 I was on 4mg a day, week 4 I was on 3mg, week 5, I was on 2mg, week 6 and 7 I was on 1mg a day.

After that I took oxycodone 3 times and was nervous I was going to take it again due to me being in pain and not prescribed it anymore. I did not want to be on oxycodone anymore. With that said I found a doctor through my psychologist that prescribes suboxone for pain management along with other things. My problem is my back hurts so I obsess over the fact that a perc would take the pain away. The magical thing about suboxone is that it does help with the pain and it does take my mind off of even thinking about the perc which is great. So this new doctor along with the help of my psychiatrist and psychologist I hope that in 6months-1year get off the subs and change the way my mind thinks now.

I just think I came off the suboxone the first time to rid my physical dependence of the oxycodone. I did nothing to prepare myself mentally. So now I am trying to manage my pain and change the way I think mentally. I am also diagnosed with GAD (general anxiety disorder) so I tend to have panic attacks and not handle stress well at all, especially in regards to this situation. Things tend to just snowball into a much bigger problem. I think this forum can help me. I just was wondering what your opinion is and how you think I should use this website.

Thanks for listening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi ze8a59 and welcome to the forum! So you ended up dependent on your pain meds and tried a short detox with suboxone, but are now back on suboxone for a bit longer, is that correct?

I'm glad that the suboxone is helping your pain. You are certainly not alone is trying to break the cycle of using addictive pain meds to treat your chronic pain. I hope your time on suboxone helps you to do that. What are you plans to do that while you're on sub for those 6-12 months? Do you plan on seeing an addiction counselor or an individual therapist, or what else in order to "change the way" you "think"? If you make a plan with small, achievable goals then I think that's the best way to meet those goals in the time frame you've set for yourself.

Good luck to you and again, WELCOME! And thanks for sharing your story with us. :)

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.