It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: New and tapering
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:05 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi I have been on suboxone for 2 years and was decreasing very slow to get off but my insurance has decided that they will not cover suboxone anymore. They said I'm of child bearing age and suboxone causes miscarriages. Either way, it's my time to get off Bc I can't afford it. I have 24 4mg films. I'm currently at 2 mg a day, once a day in the morning. I'm very scared to get off. I'm a mom of 3, work full time in a professional position. So I can't be detoxing at work. Any words of encouragement or experiences detoxing would be great. I can't get any anxiety meds. I have clonodine and hydroxizine. And that doesn't work Bc I have to be alert at work, making decisions and all. Thinking I should just quit take a few days and stay home and detox. Instead of dragging it out and going to work.

Thanks everyone!

Post subject: Re: New and tapering
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:20 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello Karebear,

They generally prescribe Subutex for pregnant women which is considered to be safe.
Your insurance company must know that, but perhaps you can remind them of that
while consulting with your doctor. Others will chime in about tapering as I'd only be
telling you things second and third hand as I'm not yet ready to do that.

If you must taper, it's far better to do so gradually. Sudden drops in daily dose are deeply
unpleasant and even dangerous as cravings return.

Please consider all options.

Wishing you the best,
Godfrey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:03 am 

Godfrey said it perfectly, why on earth would an insurance company say that when plain buprenorphine is used mostly for pregnant women? That's not fair to u at all. Can't u appeal that decision?

It is best to go slow and steady when coming off buprenorphine (again as Godfrey said :)) Since u have 24 4mg strips left, and ur now on 2mg, I think that's enough to do a slow taper. It would be much more comfortable dropping at a tiny dose instead of 2mg. 2mg is still a bit high to jump from. Ppl still have jumped at that dose but you'd be more comfortable tapering lower.

Good luck!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:58 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you for your reply.

I honestly don't want to appeal the decision Bc I think it's just time. Before subs I was on methadone for 5 years, dope for 4 years before that. So I'm done.
At 2 mg I definitely feel the difference. I don't know how I would ever get down to .5 mg a day, I mean at 2 mg I start feeling anxious in the early evening, and I feel sweaty by 10pm. Maybe I have a fast metabolism and I'm just burning through the suboxone.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello again kb:

Of course you can taper off and I can understand the wish to do that. But I also hear ambivalence. You feel
strongly that it's time, but can't imagine how you're going to get there. YOu're already suffering from the sound of it.

So there are as you well know, no free lunches. If you don't want to contest your insurance co's decision,
then you're going to have to taper relatively quickly.. It's not just a matter of days by the way as I think you mentioned.

If you hypothetically were to jump from where you are for example, you're likely letting yourself in for weeks of WD symptoms. You'll likely still be able to work...as the symptoms though prolonged are milder than full agonists...put it won't be pleasant for a while. Varies between individuals. A few weeks likely at least, possibly a couple of months of residual mild symptoms.

Again, I've not done it myself/ I'm just relying on what I read on the forum.

So you have 24 4 mg films. That's enough for less then 2 months if my arithmetic is correct (which it might well not be...at your current dose. It's doable of course, But there's no medication that will eliminate the suffering.

When you say you might want to just take a few days off from work and get it over with, that's just not realistic. It will take longer than that.

I hope I don't sound too discouraging. Others may come along and disagree.

Last edited by godfrey on Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:42 pm 

I definitely understand, if ur ready ur ready and I respect that. I don't however think it's right for an insurance company to stop covering someone for that reason, what if u hadn't been ready? Someone else this will happen to won't be ready and their situation would be totally different. I've heard a lot of things on this forum about insurance, but not covering someone because they're of child bearing age, that sucks. Luckily u say ur eady though.

There's been ppl stop at 2mg, so if u think that's as low as u can go, then at least u have extra if it doesn't work out at that stopping dose. I'm not sure how I'd do on any low dose, because I'm not ready yet. But it is recommended, to lessen the withdrawal, to go slowly and as low as U can.

I just wanted to post again to assure u that I wasn't trying to talk u into appealing, only if u weren't ready to stop yet.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
There's been ppl stop at 2mg, so if u think that's as low as u can go, then at least u have extra if it doesn't work out at that stopping dose.

Yes. Lots of people do. Absolutely.

I don't think I could though, unless it were some sort of do or die situation. I went through hell just for those 30 odd hours of WD before jumping to bupe. Then another 4 days of slowly improving PW. Just the very thought gives me chills.

Yes, bupe WD not as intense. So that's the good news.

I agree with everything you've said Jenn. That insurance decision seems really stupid. Of course they just want to save money. kb doesn't want to contest and that's fine. But just for others who might be reading this down the line you're quite right to bring it up.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:58 pm 

Godfrey I couldn't agree more with u!!

Yeah, how silly of an excuse is child bearing age? For women that's a looong time. So you'd have to be really young or menopausal? I truly feel for the ladies who'd go through that. Of course I have no insurance at all, so I know the struggle of having no financial help... that's not fun either :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:50 pm 

Is it they won't cover the Films any longer? There are other forms of this medication. Including monobupe aka subutex,witch is what they give to women who are expecting a,baby.
So the ins company is just cutting you off period?
There also hasn't been anything written as far as ive read that sub/bupe causes miscarry. Never heard that one before.

Im concerned of your timeline on quiting plus your responsiblies. You can fight though it. And i wish you the best on that!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I too will respect if you want to stop bup. However there is a risk of relapse that comes with that. What is your plan should you find yourself relapsing? You really should think about that as failure to plan is like planning to fail. You can't just say "I don't plan to relapse" as no one does, yet somewhere around 50% either relapse or return to bup or both

Beyond this, what study or information is is your insurance using for this? They can't just make this up and I'm not aware of any study or reports that support their claim. Beyond that, will they cover other products or generics? I'd look into all of this - if not for you now, for the future and for fellow addicts. You should at least be allowed to do a long and slow taper.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Please post or PM me a copy of the denial letter. I wonder if something is being overlooked. Certainly have never run across this before and if it is coming I would like to know what insurance company is thinking they can get away with such nonsense.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:22 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

jennjenn wrote:
Godfrey I couldn't agree more with u!!

Yeah, how silly of an excuse is child bearing age? For women that's a looong time. So you'd have to be really young or menopausal? I truly feel for the ladies who'd go through that. Of course I have no insurance at all, so I know the struggle of having no financial help... that's not fun either :)

right? that denial makes NO sense. how can a woman's reproductive ANYTHING influence suboxone, unless she is pregnant? being of child bearing age is not a valid reason. so what about men? they are descriminating.(sp?)