It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: New and struggling
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:05 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have been on Suboxone for 5 years and self tapered from 16mg to .25/twice a day. I jumped off 2mg and by day 4 I was so sick and my legs hurt so bad. I definitely did not want to go back to 2mg so I tried .5mg twice a day for 3 days. I felt the WD, but pushed through. Now, I am on day 6 of .25mg/twice a day and I feel stuck. Im still having diarrhea, sneezing, goosebumps, and the worst of all....sleeplessness...but it's not as bad as the beginning. I feel I am in a daze. I called the doctors office and he suggested going back to 1mg! I'm not doing that. Any suggestions? Is there light at the end of the tunnel? Anyone already went through this? I would really appreciate any suggestions. Some hope this will end soon. Been at it for 3 weeks now. Thanks

Post subject: Re: New and struggling
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Sounds like your doing good to me. Your brain is almost saturated with 2 milligram of buprenorphine in the system. So even if your taking 1mg a day, your going to have nearly 3mg in your system after dosing and will not get below 2mg until ~4-5 hours before the next days dose.

So if your at 0.25mg, your brain is less than half full (~0.85mg), right after you dose. You may have dropped too low at the most critical levels. Other than that, sounds like your doing awesome.

Maybe take a small extra dose, like 1mg, then drop back to your 0.25mg the next day. As long as your brain is slowly getting more free receptors, your making head way.

Jesse

Why do doctors over prescribe Suboxone? - http://irecoverblog.com/uncategorized/2 ... -suboxone/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:29 pm 

Have you considered jumping off now?
No more .25. Or start skiping days.
Or as the last poster suggested draw out the taper with more bupe. Andcat a different pace.

My 2 cents...

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Here is another suggestion I have for you. I never hear anyone else recommend this, but it works wonders for me. I need to write a post about this on my blog.

Anyway, try taking your dose at night when you can't sleep. I take mine in the middle of the night. If I need to be up for 8am, then around 2.30ish is perfect. That's usually the time I start having the bad sleep troubles anyway.s

I can't take it before bed or I won't fall asleep. Since I take small dose like you, I can't take in morning or I won't sleep the next night when there is not enough in my system. It gives me quality sleep that allows me to wake up early and full of rest.

It only works if your taking small doses, otherwise you will sleep all day. I also lay on back, or it will drool out the side my mouth, since I usually fall right back to sleep after dosing. I also swear that I can feel the dose better in my sleep, then awake and doing things.

Jesse
http://irecoverblog.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:29 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Honestly, I am just so ashamed that I even got myself in this position. If you only knew my profession. Knew me. I kept it secret for the entire time. No one knew. I recently told my husband just because there was no way to hide the WD. I thought I would be totally off by now. I tried skipping a day yesterday. It didnt work out too good. I ended up taking .25mg just to sleep and calm down. I even took a Ambien, but I felt groggy and uneasy.
I went running for the first time in years. Ok, run/walk. I was surprised how good I felt. I felt like the old me...for a couple of hours. It's been so long I forgot what normal feels like. I have such a new found respect for addiction. My heart definitely softened. I am also half way done with my second degree. Trying to research and get off Suboxone is extremely challenging. I think I will try to skip tomorrow. I am working and I will be busy. Thank you all for your suggestions. I will try and keep you updated.
Today, .25mg taken this morning. I felt growing pains in my arms, uneasy, goose bumps and sneezing with a giant yawn to wrap it up. Going to run/walk now. FORCING MYSELF!!!
GO ME!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:11 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Honestly I think you will have to endure some withdrawal regardless. However, with the low dose you're on it shouldn't be that bad and not very long. However, you will have to go through withdrawal if you want to discontinue suboxone. As hard as this is to hear that, for me, was the "easy" part. The hardest part is staying clean. I quit taking suboxone 7 months ago and I feel absolutely great. In functional and energetic and happy. However, I've had to start focusing alot more on recovery to stay away from opiates. Just please make sure you are ready to get off and not getting off for another reason (money, pride, etc).. Back to your question though, withdrawal sucks from suboxone, but its doable. Most of us worked and went about our daily lives while detoxing. It wasn't fun but doable, unlike oxy or heroin. If you're ready, you can get through it. Good luck to you

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:18 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I got hooked to Vicoden. It started so innocently. I realized I was in trouble when it ended my marriage. He didnt know it was addiction. He thought I was having an affair. To this day he does not know. I alone decided to get off of Vicoden and I alone decided to stop Suboxone. I'm getting off because I'm sick of it and I pride myself on having a strong mind and will. It's what I am known for.
I went through the worst detox while at work. In my career it was a hard thing to hide. I am financially stable. That is definitely not the reason. I just want to be normal. Since I have been on Suboxone I have not used any narcotics. Ibuprofen is my best friend.
I jumped at 2mg and was so sick I am terrified to go through that again.
I went run/walk today and had a great work out. I felt so good. Normal.
I plan to skip tomorrow. I will be at work. Hopefully, I wont get the poops. I just wish I knew when I would see the light at the the end of the tunnel.
Thank you again

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi DD, as has been suggested, you can either go back up a bit and do a slower taper, or just jump now and get to it.

I jumped at a pretty low dose, around .2 mg/day, and I suffered a lot getting down so low (it was a fairly fast taper, espesh near the end). I think it would have been easier just to jump at a higher dose level, and get it over with. Once I did my jump, I instantly felt a lot better emotionally, and the physical part of the withdrawals were easier than I thought they'd be.

Not a complete walk in the park, but only the first few post-jump days were dicey, and they were still pretty manageable on the whole.

I just hit 5 months since my jump btw, and I'm now totally drug free for the first time in about 15 years. It's pretty amazing.

-- ji

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:28 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I skipped a day. i felt so bad, but I did it. I am on .25 today. I havent taken any narcotics since starting Suboxone. I knew I had a problem. I have not ever tried any other drug so I guess I really can not compare to anything. I think I am pretty strong, and trying to work really does suck.
In case there is someone like me out there....it's do able. It takes time. I read an evidence based research on quitting Suboxone. It is true everyone is different and will detox differently and coming off is extremely difficult. For me, It has been 3 weeks going into the fourth. I am on a B-vitamin and exercising more. Activity really helps. i found leaving my work out clothes, socks, and shoes out wins half the battle. I don't count days anymore. When I am able to get off I will. I am gonna do it slow and steady.
I know I won't ever touch another narcotic. I didnt mention I have Lupus and BELIEVE me when I say it would not be a problem getting it. I just don't want that for myself. I think that is my motivation. I am blessed with a great career, kids, my pets, and my home. I just need to be done with this to get back to my normal.
Go me!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:03 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I slept all night. I actually slept the entire night! I was on for 3 days .5mg. Im gonna skip today. I feel pretty positive. feel pretty good. I can not believe how good I feel this morning. I am assuming this is the pay off from skipping a day. Gonna get Christmas decorations down today. I havent done that in years. Feeling like the old me. slowly coming back. feels good.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:30 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Awesome!!!!!! I'm tapering sub's and can't wait till I'm free !!!!!?? Sub's have made me basically a hermit! Good luck!!!!! I'm so proud of you!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:01 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you. This has been so helpful, watching my progress.
I successfully skipped. took .25. I think I will try .25 tomorrow only. I feel there is a light at the end of the tunnel. It's still far. But at least I see it. gonna do this!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi doey,

I am so proud of you and totally happy for you! I know exactly how you are feeling. I went through a taper almost identical to yours. I got all the way down to .25mg per day. Yes it sucks, but it's not nearly as bad as that jump from 2mg. Yes, I did that too. LOL.

My plan was to start skipping days from .25 and then gently step off. I didn't make it that far. I personally wasn't ready for the jump. I was being forced off by my doctor, and I couldn't make it stick because I WASN'T READY. You are in a totally different situation and I just know that you can do this!

When I found my new doctor I only started back on 2 - 3 mg per day. I didn't want to go all the way back up to 8mg because I had worked so hard to lower my tolerance to what it was. I'm almost ready to start my taper again. Like you, I'm just missing the old me. The one who didn't have to depend on a substance to feel good every day. I sometimes worry about what would happen if I couldn't continue treatment for some reason. I hate the anxiety around it all!

I wish you the best of luck. Please keep us updated on your progress. You will be surprized how nice it is to have someone to share these things with. Especially if you don't have anyone in your "REAL" life to talk to about it. I absolutely love the people here on this forum! We may disagree from time to time about silly things, but everyone here is full of love and support.

Good luck!

Q

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There is a light at the end of the tunnel, and I guarantee it's not a train ;)

Congrats on your taper. Keep posting!

-- ji

doeydoey wrote:
Thank you. This has been so helpful, watching my progress.
I successfully skipped. took .25. I think I will try .25 tomorrow only. I feel there is a light at the end of the tunnel. It's still far. But at least I see it. gonna do this!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:19 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

..try a new challenge by taking 0,25 only once per day, or even 0,35 but as long as it's dosing only once..I feel it's a good way to get unstuck and you will be more clear towards the end of the day (or whenever you take it) so you can get a picture of how it's gonna be once you decide to jump...
I couldn't get myself to jump when dosing 2x a day even at 0,125 bcs I was only thinking about rewarding my brain..once I got to dosing only once a day I started stabilizing and even forgetting about sub by the end of the day..It doesn't hurt to try..stay good

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:58 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Fuser, I did it! I dosed for 2 days .25!! I felt the chills come on, but it didnt happen. My mind wants it so bad, but my heart and soul is stronger. When I started this taper at 2mg the WD was crazy bad. It was bad enough to scare the hell out of me. I kept at it for 6days. Naw. that didnt work. Then .5mg twice a day for a few days. I remember thinking, I would never be able to get down lower. Then I got down to .25mg twice daily. I thought this is gonna suck. I'm scared. The WD were aweful, but tolerable. Nothing like the first time. I was scared to drop lower than .25.
Skipping days sucked too. Doing it alone sucked. hiding it.
Now look! .25/day!!! YEA!!!
Like most, I wanted to know how long will it last. I was on Sub for 5 years. High dose. If I knew then what I knew now. I would of tapered quicker. Going from 16 to 2mg really was not bad.

Im still having problems sleeping. Its been about a month now. BUT I AM FUNCTIONING!!!!!
Right now, Bless those struggling. Give those asking for help, Amen!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:08 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

down to .25. Once a day and skipped a day.
Not nearly as bad as I thought. uneasy feeling. I wish this would just end already

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:57 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey..great step.. Are you stabilized on dosing once per day? My expirience is to first stabilize on taking one dose a day before skipping ..prolonged wd's tend to make us weak and vulnerable..
please keep posting

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:16 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

wish I would of read that advise before i Skipped. Holy crap I just can not believe how sick I got. And I am a tuffie. I dot think i waited long enough. how are u doing?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I find it interesting how some, perhaps many, on doses of 8 mg or more want to or do dose several times a day and never skip a day. Then those on low doses, below 1.0 mg don't want to dose more than once a day or even crazier try to dose every 48 hours. Guys, gals, everyone THIS IS BACKWARDS!!!

It has everything yo do with how sub works. On high doses there is very little to zero benefit dosing more than once every 24 hours - unless taking sub for pain. The most the average person can get out of a dose before the strength dies is about a day and a half - 36 hours. That's about what you can expect. When on 16 mg per day, for example, you'll be at about 8 mg after 36 hours. This is typically plenty and about double the 4 mg threashold most people need. But when you only are taking 0.5 or 0.25 you'll be at half that amout stating on hour 37. Of course you will suffer and feel withdraws.

Now if you are on a fast taper for whatever reason and HAVE to be off sub in a short period of time, this may be required. However for those trying to do a slow taper or maintain at a low dose, twice daily dosing will make a huge difference. It will keep your overall average more consistant

So it's backwards! On high dose, once a day is all you'll ever need and if you are even late dosing by 10 hours you likely won't feel it. Under 2.0 and certainly under 1.0 mg twice daily dosing is really needed. I know dr j along with others have posted about this. Quick torturing yourself guys. Perhaps the last thing you do before your final jump us to try to skip a day but even then I think you are just prolonging and adding to the suffering.

Hope this helps. Good luck!