It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:16 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi everyone
My name is Heather and I am 24 years old, I was born in Calgary Alberta Canada. I have 3 brothers, 2 live in Calgary and 1 in Africa. We moved to Houston TX when I was 13, we lived there for 5 years. Then we moved to Oklahoma when I was 17 and I have lived here for almost 7 years. I have recently moved back in with my parents, who are the most understanding and loving people in the world.
I started using when i was 15 and have only recently tried to quit in the last couple years. The first time my addiction really hit me was in 2009. I was hospitalized for a month, I was septic with MRSA, I also had pneumonia, ecoli poisoning, blood clots in my lungs and my right knee was infected. I have gone to one 7 day detox in 2009 and then one 30 day rehab in 2010, which I did stay clean for almost 5 months after.
This disease has cost me more then money and my health, it also cost me two men that i loved with my whole heart. In 2009 after being in the hospital I ran off with a guy friend that I had known for years. We fell in love right away and after being together everyday for several months he asked me to marry him. I said yes but only 5 days after he asked me he was arrested and is now in prison for a very long time. In 2010 I met an amazing man who really was the one who I was going to spend the rest of my life with. He over dosed just a few weeks age and he died right in front of me. I miss him so much.
After that I knew that I could not be out in my active addiction because I would push it as far as I could. I went to my doctor and she found me a doctor who put me on suboxone. This is not the first time I have used subs but it will be the first time for me to be on it longterm.
I am just tired of the life that drug use gives and i am exhausted with loosing the people that I love. I am ready for a new life and ready to be starting over again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oh My God Heather, what a heartwrenching story. I am so, so sorry for all of your losses. I'm just speechless.

This isn't going to mean much, but I'm a Canadian Citizen too. I've lived here and worked in Kentucky for a good many years now.

At your young age and with all the trauma you have endured, I would encourage you to get on Suboxone and stay on Suboxone for a good while. Suboxone alone is not the answer, though. It takes work, usually with a good counselor. I used an addicition counselor and he helped me tremendously while I was taking Suboxone.

Welcome to the forum and I wish you the very best of luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:18 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for sharing your story with us. I hope you'll accept my deepest sympathies. You've gone through so much in such a short time. I also think suboxone is a really good idea for you and I'm so glad you found it. I think you're smart to stay on it for now. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:41 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

It was nice to read your messages and I thank you both for your kind works and encouragement. It is very helpful to have something that connects me to others going through the same thing.
It was nice of you Romeo to share that your from Canada it cool to know someone else who has had to make the change of moving here.
Thank you both again so much!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah, it was a big change moving from Canada to Kentucky. Talk about culture shock!! I couldn't understand anyone, I'm sure they couldn't understand me either. I remember pulling up to a drive through window at a fast food place when I first moved here, I could not understand a dang thing that lady was saying. I wanted to drive off, but because I was so hungry I just pulled around to the front of the store and went in. I STILL couldn't understand them!! Somehow, through hand gestures I believe, I finally got one of them to understand that I was starving and just wanted some food, any food!! That was some of the best tasting food I've ever had, it should have been seeing how hungry I was.

So, how long have you been on Suboxone. Is it working well for you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:44 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

^^ lol i moved from a big city to kentucky where everyone i met did pills. anyways, i hope everything works out for u. i think that once u get the active addiction under control everything will seem to fall into place. I know that most everyones life collapsed while they were in active addiction, you went through more then alot of people have in terms of medical issues and deaths. I know it is hard to recover from that but recovering from that sober will be alot easier then recovering as an active addict. good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Canadian Girl,

How have you been? Is everything going OK?

I left you a PM. Just wanted to make sure you were doing OK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:24 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey, I am new one here and posting my first post here.. I want to share my experience with you guys to take some unity in the group.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:26 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello Anne and welcome. Have you posted an introduction yet? If you're ready we'd love to hear more of your story. Sharing our experiences with others can really help everyone out. Again welcome - I hope you stick around.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:56 am 
Hi Canadiangirl,

Hope your doing ok? I thought I had got through some rough times, but you have done amazingly well to get through that, and still motivate yourself to start taking control. Are you still on the sub? We have both started sub around the same time (hopefully long term) I hope to follow your progress too as I make my own.

Also Hi Anne,

I'm new here too but have already managed to avoid repeating a big mistake thanks to this site. Hope you find something here too

Homer