It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:54 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey yall,

As i said, im new and i have some questions.....if you could please help me out??
i have been using a VERY unhealthy amount if oxy. roxcys, and/or LT's for the past 4-5 years. as you know the amount has changed over the years...my first apt with sub doc is friday morning at 9 am.

first of all, i will only have enough to get me through saturday night. my plan is to take last dose of oxy Saturday night around around 7pm. i have to work friday at noon and saturday from 9-7. my concern is will he give me what i need to take my first sub dose on sunday afternoon?? when im in w/d?? or do i need to plan on having some extra to get me through. I CAN NOT BE SICK AT WORK OR CALL IN SICK.
**so, my 1st question is...will sub doc write me a script? he already knows i wont be sick. his secretary told my wife he said it was ok this once?? what do you think??

ok, also....is there any reason to taper if im going to use sub to skip as much of w/d symptoms i can anyway? i mean if i quit sat at 7 then dont take anything else...i will starting getting sick at close to the same time sunday?? whats the point??
**so, my 2nd question is....do i need to taper?

and, i also have a serious habit with xanex...i tried to quit with no luck...is he gonna tell me i have to quit that before he will give me the meds to replace it? im open to some other "anti depressant" to take the place of xanex he if wants me to...
**so, my 3rd question is...will i have to be off xanex before he will/can write me a script for subs??

thanks you so much for everthing you have done for me already. i have read i million things that put my mind at ease!!! so again, thank you!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

[font=Trebuchet]Hi and Welcome to the site!

Every doctor has a different set of rules for his practice, does this doctor let you take your first Suboxone dose at home? I would look into that.What did he tell you about your appointment on Friday? Are you supposed to start the Suboxone at the appointment?
Secondly, in my opinion why would you need to taper off your drug of choice if you are going into treatment? I would say no to tapering, unless you have a specific reason for doing so.
Lastly, again each doctor is different but Xanex is highly addictive and some doctors will prescribe something less dangerous.Benzos and Suboxone can be a very dangerous combo due to respiratory failure.
I would educate yourself on Suboxone treatment as much as possible and get involved in a support system of some kind.Taking Suboxone is not going to be the answer to your situation.It is simply a tool and needs reinforcements to provide positive results in your recovery.Check out the links provided.

SAMHSA Opiod Treatment Info.

Suboxone Home Page

Suboxone Support and Information
[/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:51 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I would take shelwoy's advice as I too have dug myself in a similar hole, minus the Benzo's.

The SAMHSA website is extremely helpful, I haven't been on Suboxone long at all, and don't even know if my doctor will continue it. But I have done extensive research and it is a wonderful tool.

Another website that I found helpful was: TurnToHelp, this website helps track certified physicians and even helps you with a small guideline of great questions to ask your doctor, as this is a very serious matter and could in the end save you.

Benzodiazepines are very dangerous drugs of addiction and with heavy use, and sudden withdrawal could be very dangerous. If you claim to be abusing it for so long and often you must see a doctor before taking it away from your system which I'm sure you understand. It could put you into seizures. Speak with your doctor and be honest, I'm sure if your not in any hospital type treatment and you are paying cash you will be dealt with properly, unlike my situation! Be positive! I wish you luck.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm extremely sorry for the double post I don't know why it happened and I cannot find out how to edit or delete a post. I believe this is the second time I"ve done it, is there any way I can delete a post? again I'm sorry folks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:26 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thank you guys for responding....

i have been trying to taking xanex less and less each day. still at a full bar at night(2mg). with out it its a wild ride. one full of fears and tears and freak outs!! i tried cold turkey. had not read, when i tried to quit, that it was a bad idea....it was not until after i tryed and failed that i read what i was getting myself into!! 40 hours is how long i went. crazy!! now im really concerned about apt. with sub doctor Friday!! what do i do?!?!?

does anyone know of a good choice of medicine to use instead of xanex but that will give me the same type benefits that zanex has. i guess what im asking is....is there an alternative to zanex? is there a anti depression medicine my doc might put me on instead of xanex so i dont have panic attacks, but can still get on suboxone(and not stop breathing)? something i can take while taking suboxone that wont risk my health and my docter will not mind?if not........ is there anything i can take to help with the xanex w/d's? if i cant replace xanex with a different medicine...i will hopefully be able to take less then what i have been taking. and if i had another medicine to take so i didnt freak out??? that would be even better!!

so....my questions tonight are....

1. any ideas for my issues of wanting to start suboxone therapy with a lingering addiction to xanex?? im taking about 2 mg's xanex worth at night usually??

2. what do you guys think that my doc will do when i go Friday to see him. i will not be in w/d. i will still be on xanex. should i just go to see him and get a feel for what he thinks i should do?? then go from there??

on a side note...
3. my wife has been eating 2 10mg lortab a day for a year straight. everyday. she is only a little thing. 105lbs at 5'3". she doesnt want to get like i am...where im at in my addiction. so thankfully, she is learning from my mistakes. before it gets out of hand. however, she is going through some MILD w/d's...she sees them as serious because for her they are. obviously she doesnt need to go on suboxone fulltime.....or should she for a couple of days? would it make sense for her to take a tiny amount for a couple of days till the w/d's are gone?? seems crazy but...the length of time she has been taking it makes me wonder?!? if not, are there any tricks to making her feel better sooner then later? vitamins are the only thing i know of? any ideas?

thanks you all so much for all of your help!!! good luck with your own journey!
Chris

p.s. sorry so long winded. just super scared!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:03 pm 
Hi SlipperySlope! First of all - Congratulations on making the decision to start working on your problem. It sounds like you are really ready to stop the madness! As to you your concerns. I am not a doctor and no expert on Suboxone as I've only been on it myself for a few months. But for what it's worth, here goes :

1) If I were you I'd flush you're last handful of pain meds and let your last dose be 24 hours prior to your appointment time on Friday. (I have even heard several people say they dosed up until as few as 18 hours prior) Take as many as you want (within reason of course) until then. There is absolutely no reason to taper before starting Sub. If you will do this, there will be NO doubt that you can go ahead and start your program at your appointment. There are a lot of doctors (should be ALL in my opinion) that will only let you do your Suboxone induction in their presence. I know that 24 hours without anything will be kind of rough, but you can do it! Your withdrawals shouldn't be too unbearable for that short of a time. And once you get that first dose of Sub at the doctor's office, you'll feel better within an hour or so. I feel it's important to do it this way. It's very unlikely, but just in case you have some bizarre reaction to Sub, you'll be in the doctor's office. I really encourage you to consider this. You are never going to be more ready than you are right now and there is no good time to have withdrawals and it shouldn't be that bad just for 24 hours.

2) You've already tapered some on your Xanax. That is a dangerous med to quit cold turkey and it is not medically advised to do so. Be completely honest with your doc about your use of Xanax. No, they don't want you on benzos and Suboxone together, but you have to stop the Xanax gradually. I was never one to enjoy benzos so it wasn't an issue for me, but my doc told me that he has dealt with several patients on them and it does not have to be a big problem. It certainly shouldn't be a deal breaker in terms of starting Sub. More than likely, he'll put you on a strict tapering schedule and switch you to another medication for your anxiety. There are lots of safer meds that you can try for anxiety. Some meds that we think of typically for depression also are indicated for anxiety disorders. Most of them to take 2-4 weeks to become effective, so don't be discouraged by that. You'll have a little Xanax in the interim time.

3) Not to sound harsh, but your wife is an addict. I realize she's not taking inordinant amounts, but unless she is taking them for a chronic pain condition exactly as prescribed by her physician, she's got a problem and in all liklihood it will continue to grow. Anyone who goes into withdrawals after not having pain meds for 24 hours is at the very least dependent and more than likely addicted. In any event, if she's tried and has been unable to taper and wean herself off of the amount she had been taking, she may very well need to see the Suboxone doctor as well. Depending on all the particulars of her situation, maybe she would be one of the few (statistically) who could use Suboxone strictly for detox, come off of it in a short time and do okay. This would probably be a good time for both of you to get involved in some type of recovery group or therapy and hold each others' hand as you go into recovery together. You both need all the education and support you can get.

As many on this forum have said - Suboxone is not the answer to all of our problems. But I can testify to the fact that it does work and it is a miraculous tool that can open the door for you to work on all the fallout from your addiction and to begin to discover what led you here in the first place.

God bless and good luck on your induction! Glad you posted!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:10 pm 
Quick addendum - I reread your initial post about your concerns regarding your work schedule. I can almost promise you that you will be feeling great when you go to work after your doctor appointment Friday. My first couple of days on Suboxone, I had more energy and felt better than I had in soooo long. So don't worry about that aspect of things. When you go in on Friday, the doctor should give you your initial dose and if you're not feeling better in an hour, you'll get another dose until you are feeling no symptoms of withdrawal whatsoever. Of course, all doctors vary somewhat, but that's usually how it goes. Then when you have to work on Saturday, same thing - you'll have your Suboxone dose on board and will be functioning just fine. I really hope you'll do it this way. I don't want you to run the risk of having to reschedule your induction. Don't let yourself make any excuses for letting this madness go on for another day! Let us know how it goes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:22 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I may have some people who disagree with me here but what ever you plan on doing PLease be totally honest with your doctor about what you are using and the last time you took anything. Ive had past experiences with "telling a white lie" with my doctor and he wasn't able to get me back on track until I come straight out and told him what was really going on. Im sure that you will tell him about the xanax and the opiates that you are using I failed to and got ended up feeling terrible. Good Luck and congrats on taking the first step to getting your life back! Id love to hear how everything goes Friday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:16 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thank you everyone!! i will post Friday when i am done. but i have been informed by someone who i dont know, but i do know he goes to the same doc, that this doc does NOT require me to take my first dose in his office. which is good for me cause i really dont want to be going through "my first dose" while at work. i will go and see him Friday, hopefully get a scrip, and start sunday afternoon around 3ish...if i had to guess.

i will be telling my doc everything about myself...my story, xanex, and oxy...start getting to the bottom of this!! i havent been to any meetings yet, but i have found a few and plan on attending.

i really am very scared. half of my brain is messing with the rest of my brain and making me wonder IF i even want to quit. i know i do, im just afraid of life without oxy crutch. but with the....
*expense of it
*the breaking the law thing
*risking my job almost daily
*the fact it will never level off to where i only need X amount everyday to be happy with
*the time away from my wife and kids to hussle drugs up
*the thought that my wife checks on me at night to make sure im still breathing
*the idea my little one will have to grow up knowing his daddy died on drugs just like his uncle(my brother...thats another day)
*and so on and so on.........its not worth it. this risk isnt worth the gain. shit man, they hardly even work anymore!! and when they do i have taken enough to kill a small donkey!! but im still scared of life after drugs. not so much the induction...but the after life! just scared.

i think i will go "introduce myself" to everyone finally, in correct place and tell my story...."MY WHOLE STORY", for me and anyone else.

until then...thank you all very much!!
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:50 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I was worried about life after drugs... I didn't think I could live it, and came close many times to not bothering to try...

But I can tell you, that for me it is working, very well. I am happy, I am beginning to know myself, and for the first time in as long as I can remember I can be honest with myself, and others. It gets better, you're in a tough spot now, but it will pass (fairly quickly).

My opinion is "meetings" are great, and those who "look some up and will go sometime" usually don't, or when they do, they don't know what the deal is, so they leave cause its "lame" (see also, different, intimidating, scary, an ACTUAL step to NOT using)...

I would find yourself a small outpatient group once or twice a week (say, tues thurs nights for 2 hours?) and get some PROFESSIONALLY guided therapy. Meetings are good, and they are addicts meeting with addicts, usually led by someone who has been "sober" for some time (though I admit, I have wondered)... most "meetings" are not led by a licensed professional therapist/counselor/doctor...

just my 2 cents. Glad you are making steps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:12 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Just wanted to comment on your question about sub and benzos. I myself have been on sub about 18 months now all the while taking 20mg Prozac for depression, ans 1mg Clonopin for panic attacks. All from my sub doc. No problems here! There are other milder benzos,like Ativan, or Clonopin. I hope you get your questions answered. Good luck to us all!

Post subject: Im scared
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:39 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi I was wondering if im going crazy and really dont need suboxone. I will start by telling you that I was prescribed fentanyl 8 months ago starting at 25 mg every 72 hrs. It was increased to every 48 hrs because I wasnt getting any releif for pain I was having. About 4 - 5 months into it I was always feeling weird and could never put my finger on why. I was just jumpy all the time. My pain was still bad so my pain doctor increased me to 50 mg every 48 hrs. For about 2 months I still felt very weird all the time and still hurt. I started to figure out that I was feeling weird on day 2 after putting on a new patch. I couldnt be still, couldnt sleep, my legs were restless, I felt starnge sensations in my legs and body and it was driving me crazy. I was having really bad mood swings and started to think about suicide. I couldnt quite figure out what I was going through. I finally went to my pain doctor with my wife so maybe she could understand and help me explain to my doctor what was going on. Basically my pain doctor told me that she thought I had a high metabolism rate and went through the fentanyl too quick and was having wd's the second day. My body was just getting to use to fentanyl and she wanted to increase me to 75 every 48 hrs. I freaked out and totally went nuts thinking I had to just keep going up. I told her that I just want off the patches completely. She told me that I had to see another pain doctor and use suboxone to get off the patches. She said I was probally addicted and I had to see a special licenced doctor to get off these patches. I am 44 yrs old and have 4 boys and never in my life used any drugs nor do I drink or smoke. I tried marijuana once in highschool and didnt even like that. So basically I just followed my doctors orders and did what she recommended. She dropped my dose to 37.5 every 48 hrs and gave me a referral to see another doctor to start suboxone. My question is that ive been on 37.5 for 2 weeks now waiting to see the new doctor and on the day I put my 37.5 on im good about 1 hour after its on and then im normal for about 24 hours, then around that time I start feeling bad and watch the clock and can't wait until my 48 hrs coms up. I start pacing, jump in and out of a hot bath 20 times my legs are moving contantly and my body just feel weird. Im not getting bad cramps, worse pain, nausea, but just strange feelings that are driving me insane. Does anyone think maybe I was always going into wd's because my bodies craving a new patch. Im so scared and dont know whats wrong. I have a new appointment on Jan 4 too start on suboxone and im confused. Am I a junkie, did my pain doctor make me a junkie. Im scared and dont take any other medications other than 37.5 fentanyl now and supposed to start on suboxone and then I think there going to ween me off suboxone in 3 months to a year. Do I need to be on that that long. Im so confused and scared. Maybe the wds are just anxiety, but im not sure. Any help from anyone will be appreciated. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Im sorry for the posting here, I got confused on how this works. My apoligies for the post here.