It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi I am 25 and live in southeast PA. I was looking up some things about treatment and so forth, for my fiance he is 22(will be 23 at the end of the month). And he is addicted to opiates, and i am trying to find him help before he hurts himself. I was wondering what you can tellme about Suboxone, Does any insurance cover it and any tips for helping him. ( I do know about addiction i was hooked to meth for two years and when we got together, 7 years ago, he helped me get clean. now i need to return the favor.) THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:29 am 

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I wouldn't know where to start off telling you everything about suboxone! My suggestion is that you go to the Inductions section of this forum and read a couple big, long, threads. You will learn much more than I could smush into this reply.

There are a couple of things that I would like to say. First, yes, some doctors do accept insurance to cover the office visits and the prescription itself.

The second thing is about your fiance. Is he ready to be in a state of recovery? Or does he still think that he can control his opiate addiction? Because we can give you lots of information and it might not be worth much if he is not ready to embrace recovery.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi & welcome.

One thing about recovery that maybe you know from your own experience, if someone doesn't want help for there own sake, there's not a lot you can do for them. DoeS your fiance want to get well?

-- ji

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

yes and no, hes afraid of being in pain...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You mean your fiancé would want to get help if he can get off opiates without the agony of withdrawal?

Subs are definitely easier than other opiates to get off, at least the ones I've tried (which is many of them). For short-term users apparently it's very easy, but even for long-term people (like me) it was pretty easy, all things considered.

Maybe your fiancé would want to ask some questions on this forum. There's a number of people posting who got off Subs, some of us very recently.

-- ji

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:45 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thanks,ji. but hes not worried about getting off the subs. he is worried that he will be in pain while on the subs(he has nerve issues and cant take gabapentin(think thats how its spelt. and hes afriad of stopping the opiates, and starting the subs, and then being in pain.. I told him i would ask. And in time he will get on here, but he doesnt feel comfortable enough to get on and talk. not just yet, but thank you for the help

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:52 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

What's he taking?? He might be in pain for the first week depending on what he's taking. I can tell you that siboxone Will take away his nerve pain. Or any pain for that matter. Its pretty strong stuff, but it lets the mind get over the addictive behaviors. If he isnt on anything serious, he probably shouldnt start sub.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:05 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well, he started with Roxy's 15 and 30mg. and now he is taking whatever he can get, vicodin's, percs, ms contin, msir, dilauted all kinds and strengths. no he's having problems getting them and he asked me what I can do for him, and i told him i would look into it. And was researching suboxone and i cam across this forum. I talked to him about it and he wants to know more about it and if its gonna help. (we dont have the money to be spending on these things. and he knows but when he cant find a pill, then all is lost. and then he feels bad and says he wants to get better, but he doesnt want to go to rehab( doesnt want to leave me, or his parents- his mom has cancer and dad has heart issues.) and i can understand that i detoxed at home. and i know what cravings are like, i still get them to this day. but he needs more info and feedback before he'll do it.. anyquestions or things you want to know just ask and i will answer the best way i can

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:51 pm 

There are a number of people here who have chronic pain and take suboxone.

When people take suboxone for their chronic pain and addiction they have a different dosing schedule than what is usual. The maximum analgesic effect from suboxone comes from taking part of their daily dose every 6 hours. A typical suboxone patient takes their dose once a day or maybe twice. The helpful thing about suboxone is that the body does not get tolerant of it like with regular opiates. So your fiance will not need to take more and more of it over time.

I'm not sure if you're getting the whole truth from your fiance, although I hope you are. People really have to want to get better to be successful on sub and recovery in general. Addicts are cagey and often just tell you what they think you want to hear. I think that premarital counseling is essential, especially before you have any children! I don't know you or your fiance, so I'm not trying to judge either one of you. Marriage is so hard anyway, though. Don't add to the challenge by not understanding the full extent of your fiance's addiction and whether or not he is ready to be in recovery.

Amy

P.S. I was worried about the possibility of going to rehab as well. The great news is that you can get help right at a suboxone doctor's office! I did not have to disrupt my life to start on sub and neither will your fiance!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:23 pm 

You have gotten some great advice and information so far.
Johnny and Amy really nailed it.
Does he want to enter recovery?
I know thats a tuff question right now.
He is scared. We all were scared to start I think. Its hard to step off and begin.but the rewards are huge.
He seems to have a large habit. Sounds like the one I had 3 years ago.

Getting started means HE has to want to stop this merry go round of hell he is in. Its maddening. I remember.
SSuboxone can help him, as far as his pain, idk..I dont know his pain.
Nobody does but him. So he will have to try out and see. Its gota be better than were he is at now. All that chasing and paying..
Drs take ins. Call around and see.
Dont get discouraged if you here no a few times.
There is a dr finding page on this site and others..

So...whata got to lose, if it doesn't work out he can always go back to full opiates..
Just my 2 cents. If he has more questions bring them...you have come to the right forum. Razor56..

And dont worry now about "gettin off " subs before you even start.....peace

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:55 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey Snm, suboxone can definetly help with pain. I've had chronic pain for over five years and became addicted to pain killers. The problem with oxy and vics is that I always built a tolerance to them and constantly needed more and more as time went on. To be honest those pills never did enough for the pain anyway, they were eventually just keeping me somewhat "normal" or what I thought was normal. Since starting suboxone about 4 moths ago, most of the chronic pain is under control, way better then when I was using pain killers. It took a little time at first to get the sub dose right, and I'd split the doses throughout the day to help with the pain. Once I got a stable dose, I was able to just take the subs once a day and believe me, the chronic pain is almost non existent now. Which I really never thought was possible! Good luck! Hope this helps you!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Amy makes a really good point about honesty, as addicts, we will say whatever we need to in order to protect our habit. Dishonesty is a huge part of the disease of addiction (& honesty is the foundation of recovery).

I have a recovery friend who kept his IV opiate/cocaine addiction hidden from his wife for 3 years, which you can imagine took a lot of lying.

I don't know you or your fiance either, but I do know that non-addicts can get trapped in co-depedency, devoting themselves to helping an addict that doesn't want help. Not saying this is your situation, but I am saying you owe to yourself to go forward with eyes wide open.

Can you see an addiction counsellor/doctor together with your fiance? Can you see one on your own to learn more?

-- ji