It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:49 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Like so many, I started on painkillers due to pain issues. Now, five back surgeries and three spinal fusions later I am ready to quit painkillers but found myself unable to stop the oxycontin I had been taking. Though I wanted the pain to end I dreaded the day it would, for I knew I am dependent if not downright addicted to painkillers. It started so innocently with vicodin, then percocet, duragesic, morphine, methadone and finally oxycontin. The pain clinic I went to wanted to rotate the drugs every couple of months to avoid tolerance. All the while I sought out an answer to the pain and finally found a surgeon with the willingness and skill to address my pain and not just tell me to live with it the rest of my life like the pain clinic did.
Finding suboxone has been a godsend for me in quitting the other drugs. I have been taking 8mg tablets and am now carefully breaking it into sixths. One sixth a day and I'm good. However, I have tried to quit several times and after three or four days I give in. The shakes, sweats, heart palpitations, leg jerks, and feeling like my skin is crawling become more than I can handle.
On this forum I have read a way to taper off by dissolving the pills to control the dosage. Tomorrow I am going for it. I think lowering the dose every two weeks will work.
If anyone has other tapering off suggestions I would love to hear them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome Teacher-
When dealing with pain, it makes things all the more difficult.Pain was why I started using opiates too, but my life was centered around making sure I never went without pills.I could not live that way so I started Suboxone.It has been 2 years and things are great.
Just my opinion, but try sticking with your doses a little longer than two weeks (maybe a month instead?) It is wise to give yourself ample time to adjust to the dose changes.The half life of Buprenorphine plays a huge role in that.
If you need anything, just ask.!