It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: New and conflicted
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:46 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello all. I have surfed this site before and just decided to join. I am a man between 40-50 with a great wife of many years, 2 awesome kids and what the "world" would consider a highly successful career. I am here because I started taking PK's for chronic back pain and pretty soon I figured out I really liked how they made me feel and as you surely know I had to take more and more to get that feeling. I can identify also w the good doc who started this story as I too did a lot of other drugs when I was young but thought I was special because I still got straight A's and breezed through college. After my first child was born and I knew something was missing from my life, I met some authentic people who introduced me to Christ and I gave my life to Him at 30. Things were awesome for a good while. No drugs, no desire for them and life was great. Fast forward to more stress and some battles w depression. Started taking Xanax or Valium "as needed" which became a regular thing only I never exceeded the Rx on that. The Opiates are what really got me. Been clean for 6 months and put myself on Suboxone through research and realization I had a problem that had to stop. No major bad events or rock bottom story. I thank God for that....yet I am still an addict. I want to get off the Suboxone and then the Benzos. Will talk more about that in another thread. Nice to meet you all and I look forward to getting to know you. You will find I am very transparent and non judgmental. I love people! God Bless!

Post subject: Re: New and conflicted
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:53 pm 

Welcome, O2bfree! I'm glad you're here!

There are many taper stories here in the Stopping Suboxone section that could be helpful for you to read. There is also a member who created a template for cutting suboxone films and slowly tapering off them. This is the thread where he talks about his cutting guide:

taper-easily-when-you-know-how-cut-your-suboxone-film-t8360.html

And here is a thread about that same member's taper:

made-25mg-jumping-thanksgiving-t9260.html

There are members here who have been through having to taper off benzos too, so you should be able to find information about that.

If you have specific questions feel free to ask. I hope you share more of your story as you go along!

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi there O2bfree!

I just wanted to add my welcome to Amy's.

Parts of your story really stood out to me, especially when you mentioned that you had accepted Christ and were saved, living a "good" life until the drugs came back into the picture. Being a Christian and falling into addiction just adds another layer of guilt that can be hard to get through. I hope you realize that being a Christian doesn't make us immune to falling into sin. It's something we struggle with just as someone else may struggle with over eating, or anger, or pride. These are all the same in the eyes of God...it just so happens that being an addict is something that is looked down on more than the others in the eyes of other "Christians". I hope you have found a good church with members who understand this, and don't judge you differently than others for your mistakes.

I wish you the best of luck with your taper. Check out those posts Amy linked for you and spend some time reading the "stopping suboxone" section. I'm sure it will help you out.

I hope to see you posting again soon!

Q

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:57 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello,

I'm a newbie on here, I saw many similarities in our stories.

Just thought I would say hello to one pain pill survivor to another. I used Subs too. They helped me a great deal in my recovery. There are some great taper methods I've noticed on here too. But mainly I came here for the support of others.

Wish you well,

Dilly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

People have a range of opinions about Suboxone. The most important opinion is your own. Some people take Suboxone for life, and that is fine. Some people want to taper off, and that's fine too.

I try to describe the things we KNOW, vs. what we wish were true. In several large studies, people relapsed pretty quickly when Suboxone was stopped after a year or less. I find that people do the best if they take Suboxone for enough time to truly change-- to get new friends, to lose old contacts, etc. For most of my patients that takes several years.

Whether and how long you take buprenorphine is YOUR business-- nobody else's.