It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: New Addiction??
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:20 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello my name is Nicole and I am married to a suboxone user and know just about everyone around me does them.

My question is does anyone believe that getting on sub is not another addiction???

Because I see so different. I see that my husband and his sister literally have mad spells and freak totally out over not having one. I see my husband lose his memory a little more everyday. I see his anger everyday. His sex drive is almost gone. His weight, his being able to pee. I see how high he gets when he takes his sub.

You know that medicine has a street value of anywhere between 5 and 25 dollars.

Ppl are switching doc because they are gonna cut them down and they just don't think they can go to one a day.

I know 2 ppl that get a 140 a month and always run out. So for me I see suboxone as a legal high.

For me I think there should be a regimen to it. Only allow so long to be on it. And the medicine needs to be more investigated before just putting ppl on it. And here in southeast Missouri they don't have a plan to treat the addiction.

I know for some it saved their life and I believe that with all my heart. I don't feel like it should be a life long process.

For me I want my husband off of it. And my best friend needs to be off. Because neither one of them can hardly go a day and just about Lose their minds.

I hope I haven't offended anyone. It was not my intention.

I'm gonna be thinking real hard of a plan for him I will get him off this suboxone and not think he has to take pills to live the next day.

A recovering addict myself. Thanks for reading if you do. Hope some have some advice for me. Sry it is so long this is the 3rd time I have wrote this. Guess the first 2 wasn't to be posted. ;)

Post subject: Re: New Addiction??
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sick of Suboxone wrote:

I'm gonna be thinking real hard of a plan for him I will get him off this suboxone and not think he has to take pills to live the next day.

A recovering addict myself. Thanks for reading if you do. Hope some have some advice for me. Sry it is so long this is the 3rd time I have wrote this. Guess the first 2 wasn't to be posted. ;)

Here is just a quick thought: my brother was real bad on oxy and heroin. stealing from family and others, pretty major stuff too. my dad is also a clean 25 years+ heroin addict. none of our "plans" ever did a thing to help my bro. it was only when my bro got locked up for a few years that he got any clean time. he's out now and clean as far as i know. my point is that our plans to make using addicts "better" will most always fail. they need to want it. sub can be a very helpful tool but there needs to be a recovery plan in place/ once per day dosing of the most effective (and lowest) dose possible. best success tends to be a year minimum on sub with no slips and meetings or counseling etc... steady job, over 30 years old, good relationship etc..

yeah it sounds from what you say that maybe your husband and sister might be taking too much and trying to abuse the sub. how long has that been going on? im wondering because it does get old after a while.

i feel your pain but wishing wont make it so, know what i mean?

-gb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:15 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I fully agree that you cannot help an addict.. they have to wanna help themselves. Also giving your husband ultimatums (ex: its me or the sub) will not work either.. Honestly the only advice I can give you is to educate yourself as much as possible about sub and addiction, give your husband all the support and love you can and always push him in the right direction, never force. Another thing is.. once per day dosing is ideal but not possible for everyone, theres many reasons why its not possible for some to dose only once per day so dont think its wrong in any way to have to dose more than once a day. I do wish you the best of luck, I know you're in a tough spot right now.. If you need help/support then you can post here anytime.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hey,,
this video explains ALOT how chasing a "high" with suboxone/bupe is kind of a losing battle.
And,
i think MOSt of us , have abused it or TRIED to , at one point or another.....
BUT, just like someone said above, it DOES get old, and FOR ME
it was more of a compulsion than anything else I think?
anyways,
I hope the video helps

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrqjJGoSQgc[/youtube]

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:25 pm 
I feel somewhat the same way you do, I have been on suboxone over 5 years now and I think it's so important to know exactly what your doing with suboxone. Your boyfriend needs to decide if he wants to be on it for life and if he does than he will also need hormone replacement thearapy, if he does not want to be on it for life he needs to get his dose way down he needs a plan and he needs to get treatment and lots of exersize.....nobody should be on suboxone without attention from an endocrinoligist monitering there hormones I can't understand why this is not the case....,Sit down with him and talk to him about all of this but you can't rush him that won't help...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello everyone! I haven't been on here in almost a year. And the last time I was just so angry about subs. I couldn't even begin to try and help my husband get off of them. Well heres my update to my husbands new addiction. He has only had 2 1/2 subs since Dec 4. This was his choice I did not force him. He told me he just wanted to be him again. Suboxone made him a mean hateful snappy angry person. Started 15 projects and never got 1 done. I love my husband. and I really just wanted him back. and today he is on his way to him. hes happy everyday he enjoys life more. and he has ambitions. and hes a whole lot easier to get along with and be around. I researched every site that had the word suboxone on it looking for ways to help him. We treated it like the flu. until he decided it was all in his head. and once he admitted that to hisself he never suffered withdrawals. that medicine plays tricks on the mind. it makes you really believe you can never be without. and everyday I would tell him talk positive. believe you don't have to have it. its just a trick. I haven't told him how proud I am of him. It kind of scares me to admit to him how proud I am. That's really crazy. I should be jumping up and down praising him. and I will. I think 3 months I will plan a nice evening for him and I. and every 3 months until a year.

Hope everyone had a good Christmas and New year.

Thanks for all your advice. And the strength to make it with him.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sick of Suboxone wrote:
Suboxone made him a mean hateful snappy angry person.

This might have a lot to do with having to quit his drug of choice.

When us addicts quit our drug of choice we need to have a complete overhaul in the way we live and more importantly, the way we THINK. If your husband is not doing that, good luck when he is finished with the sub. some programs call it "restless, irritable and discontent" I think that's pretty good. That's the natural state of us addicts without our drug or alcohol etc.. I need to remind myself of that constantly and use the "tools" i have learned in recovery or I might go off on my wife and others for little or no apparent reason. Suboxone is a good way to get a chance to work on ourselves but just taking sub and no other recovery plan or program, we will just stay restless irritable and discontented...

Good luck with your hubs detox! Let us know how it goes.

-Glen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:09 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well said, Glen--- ditto on many of the other comments about 'that' drug. Buprenorphine activates mu receptors , just like her husbands drug of choice did-- but in a way were the activation is stable, and tuned out by tolerance. People have their reasons for wanting to try life off buprenorphine, but someone was mean and snappy on Suboxone, suddenly chilling OFF the medication, was either 1. not taking it correctly, 2. acting in response to someone crossing boundaries into HIS space, or 3. happily back on his DOC, in need of a drug test.

Tonight I read the post of the guy who was tapering after 3 years... did well, until life struck and he lost his job. When I see people here getting excited for being 'totally clean for a WHOLE MONTH' I remember what it felt like when my own relapse came, after 7 great years of sobriety, head of my department, everything going perfectly.... After 6 months I'd lost most of my material possessions, my job and career. and almost my family. OH-- and almost my life.

Hopefully this forum will be here in 5 years; come back and tell us good news at that point, although hopefully he will still have to repeat that 5 years another 5 times before his life ends.... I'll wish him well, and send you a quarter for a beer.

'Addiction' is the compulsive use of a substance that crowds out all other life interests, and pushes people to do things they would never otherwise do-- sneaking around, stealing from relatives and friends, lying constantly... not to mention being a sick pain in the butt to be around every 4-8 hours, when they run dry. Suboxone, doses appropriately prevents all of these things. The writer said that he was miserable 'whenever he ran out of it'; people taking it properly are rarely if ever in that situation, so maybe he never quite figured it out. But patients on buprenorphine are physically dependent on a med-- just as are people on beta-blockers, many anti-depressants, sedatives, and scattered meds in other medical areas. Addiction is what happens to people on opioid agonists-- and it looks nothing like the physical dependence on opioids of buprenorphine patients. How soon people forget those bad days.....