It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:39 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I have been on suboxone for nearly three years (4mgs twice a day)and it has made me basically a hermit. I don't want to go anywhere ever! I don't want to see my family or friends. I just want to stay at home with my dog and watch TV. I feel dead inside and its driving me crazy ! A couple of weeks ago I started tapering the suboxone and I want to be off of it at least by January or February. Tapering is hard on me. Plus I'm dreading the withdrawals. I'm just wondering if anyone else that's taking suboxone has symptoms like I have
. .

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:04 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yeah, I have the same issue. It's not so much that I don't WANT to leave my house, it's more that I don't have the drive to leave. I've become a hermit as well. I look forward to night time the most because it's when I am allowed to be lazy. Then in the morning and during the day I pretty much hate myself for what I've become. I quit my job a couple of months ago and haven't found a new one. Not that I haven't tried, I just haven't gotten any calls. So I'm sure that this is probably more of a depression issue than anything. But I do wonder sometimes how much of a role this medicine has in it. I've read on here that lowering your dose can help, but like you I have a hard time tapering. I think it's something that we really have to push ourselves to do though. We have to be the ones to get ourselves where we want to be. I wish I had a better reply or suggestion....but for me at least I think it comes down to needing to push myself more. I've thought about going and talking to someone about depression as well to see what kind of options I have. I'm not sure how antidepressants work with subs? Maybe someone around here can chime in on that?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:49 am 

I have this problem as well, but it started when I was in active addiction. I have made strides since being on suboxone in this department, although sometimes it feels that I take two steps forward and one step back. When I started on suboxone I was still copying some of the behaviors I had developed in active addiction. For example, I would stay up most of the night and sleep during the day. Night time was my time to get high. I wasn't working so I could stay in bed most of the day while my son was in school. By the time I had to pick him up from school (my husband drove him in the morning) I was sober enough to drive. I barely went anywhere besides picking my son up from school.

It took me several months after being on sub to get my schedule back to a more normal routine. Soon after that I found a non-profit daycare center to volunteer at. I volunteered 2 days a week, 4 hours at a time. I gained some confidence in my ability to leave my house (aka my safety zone). A year ago I started working part time and I now work anywhere from 2 days a week to 5 days a week.

My problem stemmed from a fear of being away from home, not a lack of motivation. At home I didn't feel judged or open to other people's scrutiny. I felt safe.

It took a long time to get back to some semblance of normalcy. I had to take baby steps to get there. So if you feel like you can't move in a positive direction, just make yourself some small attainable goals. Start pushing yourself a little bit at a time. You can get there!

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:20 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

While I was on Subs (and Methadone before that), I felt really stuck in life too, and spent way too much time at home.

I started getting more active as I got off Subs 4 months ago, and I definitely feel drive and motivation returning. These days, most nights I don't get home until 10 pm or 11 pm, and I've been spending my weekends out of town. Living a real life again is one of the great joys of getting off Subs.

-- ji

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:37 pm 

I dont know or get this. 4 years on sub and im up and out everyday.
Gardens in the warmer months, snow in winter, always something to work on. Walking dogs. Waxing cars. Raking leafs.
I have my own business to run also.
There are ways to get out and get going.. I just dont feel it or think Suboxone has to much to do with.
But, thats just me..
Working a program of meetings and anything recovery related always helps to get myself moving too. No matter what the followsship thinks of Suboxone.
Its a wonderful sunny day here in most of the country this Sunday.
Go out and breath the air!!!

just my thoughts. ..

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm kinda like razor, while I do have a bit of an introverted personality, I find the more I get out, the more I want to get out.. if that makes any sense? During my active addiction, I was perfectly content to sit in the house in my pj's all day if I could. I still value and need my alone time every day, to unwind and recharge, but since starting subs, I'm finding it easier and easier to get up and do what I need to, and even go out and have a good time with my family, as long as I know I'm coming home to my safe place.
For instance, today I had planned to stay in and chill with the kids, watch some TV and relax, I liked that idea. Then my fiancé Steve, and kids decided they wanted to go atv/dirt bike riding all afternoon. At 1st, I was like ummmmmmm, nawww, you guys go... but Steve had just fixed up my atv completely like a brand new one, and I did wanna try it out, so I just made myself get dressed and go. We had a blast! I thought I wanted to lay around, but once I was out there, I felt completely different, the warm air, sunshine, kids laughing. .. it was great! Start small, just doing the necessary things at first, then work your way up to maybe a goal of going out once a week for something you want to do, and hopefully after a while, it'll feel more natural and comfortable for you. I hope I'm making a little sense, lol! Imo, in order to overcome this, you've gotta start somewhere, and work your way up to getting out everyday again. The fact that I know I'm going to have at least part of my day to myself to be in my home/comfortable place, makes me feel better.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:55 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I'm so sorry I haven't replied until now! I just now saw ya'lls messages! I took antidepressants for years and I didn't like the way they made me feel so I got off of lexapro which is an anti-depressant like 3 weeks ago and went through withdrawals boy was that not fun! anyway the way I feel now about suboxone is the way I kind of felt on pain pills at the very end like my emotions are just dulled and everything is so blah. I know I'll be a different person when I finally get off suboxone. thank you everyone for all your replies to my post I really appreciate it! I thought I was the only one that felt this way. one day and I hope pretty soon we will be free of this drug! don't get me wrong suboxone saved my life it's just time to get off of it....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:02 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Razor.. that's awesome! Lizzie.. I'm glad you had a blast today! Mizzme... Pretty soon we will feel great! I can't wait to feel better.... I'm the type of person that hates tapering I just wanted to get everything over with right now but I know I can't.... one day we will all be just fine! big hugs to you all!