It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Neurontin
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:02 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey everyone, it has been a while since I’ve been on here and posted.

I was just prescribed Neurontin by my sub doctor today as to help with anxiety. I know it typically is prescribed for seizures or something else and is given for other symptoms as an off medicine but I was wondering if anyone else on here has been on this med and their feedback on the drug.

I'm just not sure whether or not it will be helpful and whether it is covered by my insurance or not so I don’t know if I should fill the prescriptions. Any replies are greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Anxiety?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:25 am 

Hey Fireman,

I too have been taking Neurotin (Gabapentin) for about 6 weeks now and love the drug. But for anxiety? That is a new one for me. This topic has come up from time to time and it is usually prescribed for nerve pain although it was originally designed for seizures like you said. Those who have diseases that make the nerves send pain signals the drug works well. One is Fibromyalgia and another would be neuropathy from Diabetes. Have you researched it yet or read the pamphlet the pharmacy gave you? I Googled it as soon as I got the script because I like to know what I'm taking.

The reason I take it is because of my recent cancer treatment. My Dr. had to cut into my neck to get to a lymph node and disturbed a nerve. Ever since the surgery my right arm got really bad. Mostly from using the computer mouse and certain positions I did. Needless to say my Dr. said to take two 400mg pills the first night and then take two a day 12 hours apart. The next morning 90% of the pain was gone. After that it leveled out at around 60-70% so he doubled my dose. The only side effect I had was a little drowsiness the first couple of days but that too went away.

My Dr. also referred me to a Neurologist to rule out anything else and he said the Gabapentin is not metabolized by the body. It has no effect on other drugs you're taking, and you can't overdose on it. What your body doesn't use the rest is secreted out the usual ways. The way it helps with nerve pain is it disrupts the Calcium in the nerve cell. That's about all I can remember from the visit but to me it is a wonder drug. If it didn't work I wouldn't be typing this long message.

If you can't find anything online about it being used for anxiety, then ask your doctor about it. And I'm sure you're going to see a few people respond to your question.

Rule

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I was also prescribed Neurontin by my sub doc but only to take after jumping off. It worked wonders but it seemed pretty powerful. Klonopin is also an anti seizure med but can be used for anxiety. I battled with intense anxiety while on sub but it was a catch 22 for me. The thought of being addicted to yet another substance gave me even more anxiety. I ended up caving for the last year I was on sub (while tapering) and took a low dose of klonopin, once each night. It actually did help with the anxiety despite the concerns I had about becoming dependent or what it would be like to stop. I was able to stop everything completely 3 weeks after jumping.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Rule- My doctor also swears by neurontin and explained much of what you stated above. It really helped me tremendously while jumping off sub. I can't vouch for long term use but it helped me with my short term needs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:00 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thanks y'all for replying and giving your insight. Rule, what you're describing sounds so incredibly painful I'm so sorry that you, or anyone for that matter, have to go through. Although I am glad that Neurontin has helped you, it sounds awful and I hope you can get rid of the cancer and live without pain.

I am going to begin tapering and that was one of the reasons it was prescribed. The doctor said it was normal to take Neurontin for anxiety and I wanted to try some of the meds out before I taper so I know what to expect.

He also said it was common to prescribe benzos too at the end of the tapering when there would typically be more withdrawal symptoms. This was something I previously had no knowledge of. I thought it was extremely dangerous to mix benzos with opiates. Anyone know any information or have experience with this?

Post subject: Comfort Meds
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:57 pm 

If you can handle the benzo's during your w/d process then go for it. I surely can't as being an addict I abuse just about everything that changes my mood for the better. What seems to work best is Clonidine and maybe a sleep aid like Ambien or Lunesta. With those I have no problems with as they don't get me high. A couple of times in years past I used Valium to ease some of the discomfort of coming off Norco's and didn't ask for a refill. I still abused them while I had 'em though. You know yourself better than anyone else so that is your decision.

The Clonidine is an old blood pressure med that is now commonly used for opiate withdrawals and most of us swear by it. Ask your Dr. and see what he says.

Now you have me curious about the Gabapentin and anxiety. Tomorrow I will research it and find out for myself.

Rule

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:14 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello,

I hope you find a way to relieve you anxiety, I know from personal ecperience I am not able to cope with sertain aspects of my life with out medictaion for anxiety.

I have been taking Neurontin in it's generic form Gabapentin for neuropathy of the legs. For me, I have noticed that it may be slightly sedating. I take 300 mg 3 times a day. I have never felt high from it though. If your doctor thinks it may help you with you anxiety it may be worth you trying it, especially since it is available in generic.

Gabapentin is on Wal-Marts $4.00 drug list as I recall.

I am not sure about it's ability to help with anxiety though at this time.

In addition to the Gabapentin, I take Klonopin for anxiety and Suboxone. I have not had any problems combining the drugs as of yet.

If Benzos may not be right for you, there are medicines that do help with anxiety that are not in the benzo group.

Some of these medicines are [i]Vistoril and Buspar, just to name a couple. They, especially Vistoril (which is a type of anti-histamine) can relieve anxiety for some peolple and is often prescribed for such. It is available as generic also. Vistoril reportedly has less potential for abuse than drugs for anxiety in the benzo family. Vistoril reportedly starts helping with anxiety relatively fast, possibly even after the first dose. Reportedly Vistoril does not cause bad wd's when stoping the medication.

Buspar is a little different that reportedly can take up to two weeks or so to start helping with anxiety. Buspar is the generic form of the drug called Busparone (sp?). Buspar has reportedly caused some problems for certain individuals when they stop taking it.

Both of the drugs I mentioned are prescription drugs and should be regarded as such, and your doctor can give you much more information than I can

As you are probaly aware, one should never stop taking any medication w/o first consulting with their doctor.

You could Google up other drugs used to treat anxiety as you probably know.

Sincerely,

bxr