It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:26 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi. I'm Fed up with greedy doctors taking advantage of the Insured patients coming in for Suboxone treatment. I live in Orlando, Florida and I drive an hour and 15 minutes to New Smyrna Bch. , Florida to get treatment and prescriptions of Suboxone. The price has steadily risen from $125 to $175 over the years. At one point my doctor gave me great news. He was becoming an in-network physician with United Health Care. My co-pay went to $25.00. So they took my United Healthcare insurance information, and every time I go in they make me sign a document that gives my permission to bill the insurance company for the urinalysis. But , to my disappointment the very next monthly visit they told me that they were no longer accepting my insurance for the office visit, because to quote them directly , " We need to make $1,000 dollars an hour to make it worth our while, and the insurance companies just don't pay us enough." They actually said that !!!!
Actually, I am ok with them charging a set amount to people who have no insurance. After all, they are providing a service that people need and this IS a capitalistic society we live in.
The problem I have is that I believe that they are committing fraud. Because they entered into an agreement with the insurance provider to be an "in-network healthcare provider" for United Health Care which means that they are only supposed to charge the agreed upon co-pay; in this case $25, for an office visit. Especially since they are using the insurance to pay for the urine tests.
What really set me off today is when my pharmacy called them for pre - approval . My doctor's office then called me to ask if I wanted this done. I said yes of course, like why is that even a question? Right? When they told me it would be an additional $25 , I pretty much lost my shit.
In all my years of d dealing with pre-approval from doctors offices ;NEVER ONCE, have I ever had to pay for this to be done.

I would like to get comments and feedback as to the (legality or illegality) (right or wrongness) of them listing themselves as (in-network) and refusing to accept the co pays.

Personally, I think these guys are taking advantage of people who find themselves in desperate situations who most often will do , or pay almost anything to NOT get dope-sick. From , talking to them ( this particular doctors office not all) and observing them for about 2 years now , I know that they are operating on a level of greed and in violation of the Hippocratic oath to , "do no harm". Because, they are not looking to get people better but only to keep them bringing in their quota of $1,000 per hour.

If,,,, I do find them in violation of the law, or committing fraud by any means I will do everything in my power to stop them and make sure justice IS served.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Would love your feedback, positive or negative.

Peace,
Flyrishman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
If,,,, I do find them in violation of the law, or committing fraud by any means I will do everything in my power to stop them and make sure justice IS served.

You should find a new doctor/provider before doing anything. What if you cause them to close their doors? Bummer to show up for an appointment and there is police tape across the door.
I have a half dozen refugees of practices where that is exactly what happened.