It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My very first doctors appointment is tomorrow. I am going to try to get on the suboxone program but I am worried that I might not be accepted... I have hydrocodone and fentanyl in my system in the attempt to stave off the withdrawls and its barely working. I know I should have tried to stay clean as long as i possibly could but the withdrawals are miserable. Does anyone think that I might be declined entrance into the program because I have hydrocodone and Fentanyl in my system?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:21 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi, I won't worry to much! They expect us to have stuff in our systems!! We are addicts and looking for help!! They are suppose to be there to help us!! Telling them you really want to get clean and even shed a tear if need be!! Good luck!! Hope all goes well!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Wow, really? What a relief, I have been trying to get into a doctor accepting new patients in south Louisiana for 2 years now, buying whatever i can off the streets to stay well. The doctor fee is expensive at $200 and a 2 hour drive but I have to do something to reclaim my life back. I am ready for treatment and I hope that suboxone will help with a healthy habit or should I say very unhealthy habit since I od'd twice off of Fentanyl patches. I just hope that He is an understanding doctor and I will be dedicated to recovery. I havent had a family doctor in all my 26 years, there are some issues I wish to talk to him about but I am nervous and dont know exactly how to discuss it... I know I have anxiety as I have went into a bowling alley once and all of a sudden I got very dizzy and woke up on the floor. They said i Hit my head on the counter... I get nervous around groups of people... get dizzy and sweat alot. Feel really awkward. I'm also attending a tech college and its hard to focus in class and pay attention. I just dont want to be labeled as drug seeking but I want to be honest to the doctor and have my condition treated... This deliemma is why i have never been to a doctor besides the ER.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Also am I going to have to spend the night at the doctors office and be given a certain ammount of suboxone until I dont feel withdrawals?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:24 pm 

Hey Jay,
welcome to the forum. Its great that you are willing to take this first step into recovery. I sure was scaredmy first visit to the dr.
I hadnt seen a dr in years. It went very well that day.

They are there to help you as wana said.

Most everyone has some type of opiate in there system when they go in, so no worries there Jay.
Mostly likely there will be a short interview, maybe a ua test and then it is possable if your in wd they could induct you that day. Ive never heard of anyone spending a night at a sub drs. So that is very unlikely
Jay....
I cant really talk about your other problem. Maybe the doc can help you with this too, idk..

The good thing is you are reahing out for help, and that is huge Jay..congrats man, keep posting here too...

best of luck razor..

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So if I am not in w/d i wont get a rx for suboxone? What happens when i do W/d, I have to schedule another dr's appointment and then spend another 200?

How does this induction work and what if he doesnt prescribe me enough suboxone to cover the 100mcg fentanyl habit i have?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:10 am 

Jay,
If I were you, I would call your drs office today andask them thses same very questions you are asking here.
I cant tell you everything you need to know.
Drs, and there sub programs differ. I would only be guessing just what your dr does.

I can tell you that you need to be in wd to first take suboxone. If you go in and you are not in withdraw you may have to wait. And yes, it Could cost alittle more.
Look, try to see it as a huge positive. It ll be ok jayman. Your waiting is almost over.
Call your drs and ask them. You will feel better.
Again, I cant say just how your dr works thing.
For me, I was give a rx and told to go home and induct ..HUH? I got lucky. I had no idea how this med worked. I took myvfirst dose at 4mgs at night, then woke the next morning feeling great. So...

Razor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:13 am 

Godd luck today Jayman..kt ll be fine...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Don't know if you've already seen your doctor, but fingers crossed that it goes well. Congrats on your decision to start treating your addiction, rather than continue to self-medicate, it's a huge step forward.

It's pretty normal for addicts to have to deal with emotional issues once we get into a maintenance program (or get off meds entirely); sometimes these issues are why we became addicts in the first place.

I hope you get a chance to talk to your doctor about things you can do to support your long-term recovery, such as therapy or a treatment program (I'm involved with AA and CA 12 step stuff myself), or something like that. There's absolutely no shame about doing this kind of stuff; be proud that you're taking steps to overcome your addiction and move forward.

-- JI

Jayman wrote:
Wow, really? What a relief, I have been trying to get into a doctor accepting new patients in south Louisiana for 2 years now, buying whatever i can off the streets to stay well. The doctor fee is expensive at $200 and a 2 hour drive but I have to do something to reclaim my life back. I am ready for treatment and I hope that suboxone will help with a healthy habit or should I say very unhealthy habit since I od'd twice off of Fentanyl patches. I just hope that He is an understanding doctor and I will be dedicated to recovery. I havent had a family doctor in all my 26 years, there are some issues I wish to talk to him about but I am nervous and dont know exactly how to discuss it... I know I have anxiety as I have went into a bowling alley once and all of a sudden I got very dizzy and woke up on the floor. They said i Hit my head on the counter... I get nervous around groups of people... get dizzy and sweat alot. Feel really awkward. I'm also attending a tech college and its hard to focus in class and pay attention. I just dont want to be labeled as drug seeking but I want to be honest to the doctor and have my condition treated... This deliemma is why i have never been to a doctor besides the ER.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So much for my first appointment... The doctor never showed... there isnt even a name on the building that he is suppose to be practicing at.. I drove 2 hrs to be there at 11 and i showed at 10 and stayed there till 11:30 and not even a receptionist showed. There was mailed piled up on the floor by the door which was glass and there were no lights on. Its clearly set up to take in patients and has a small opaque window that slides. I called and left numerous messages... i have been trying for years to get into a sub doc down here in S LA and this ... I finally got in touch about 12 30 and they said they can reschedule me for wed the 11 at 4pm. I hope they dont let me down again... :(

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:05 pm 

UN FN BE.IEVABLE....
Well, there ya have it. Another example of poor care in the dr pool.idk, maybe im being a bit judgemental here, but half the time I see or read this kind of crap.

So sorry jay, damn...well..ok.
again, call them back the day before and the day of, just so you know.

Look at the brightside of it, you have 5 days to save up more money..hopefully.

Man, the window an addict wants help is small. You are ready now. Dont lose that thought or feeling jay..
hang in there....razor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:39 am 

Jay, I can't stand it when doctors are this unprofessional! I hope you have good results on Wed. the 11th! Keep us informed.

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jay,

I was furious just reading what happened to you when you drive all,I that way for your appointment, and no one was even there. I know it's discouraging, but please dint give up. once you're taking Suboxone and are on this way to recovery, it'll all be worth it! the first place I ever had an appointment to see a sub doctor was in a bordering state about a ninety minute drive from my house. my sister in law made the appointment, gave the lady on the phone all of my info including address,I was sick as hell all the way there. we waited an hour in that waiting room, before being called back to s small office, where a counselor apologetically told me he was sorry for the confusion, but unfortunately" our clinic doesn't take out of state patients at this time".I was quite upset not ti mention so so sick in wds,I couldn't understand how no one told us on the phone even after giving my address, that they didn't take out of state patients, even the day before the appointment, when they called me to confirm that id be coming, the lady confirmed all my info over the phone; address, phone number dob, etc. you'd think someone would've told me, buuuuut...some good came off that experience though, this counselor gave me the phone number of the next closest place that was accepting patients, and I had an appointment the following week. it was a farther drive,but I was inducted that same day. it's a long story, but I'm no longer with that doctor, as a matter of fact it took me many attempts to find a good doctor, but I'm so gladthat I never gave up. I have an awesome doctor now and I am happy and stable and back to enjoying a normal life again thanks to Suboxone, and my counseling, and if course the support I get from this forum! let us know how your appt goes on the eleventh. I really hope it works out for you!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:04 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jayman

I am so sorry that happened to you. As lizzie said not all sub doc's are the same. Get through the induction & save a little sub just in case he/she "forgets" your second appt & you have to wait a few days.

Although I like my doctor I am concerned about how long he will be available. He is in it just for the money & works basically 2 days a week. Every month his wife will text me to change something about my appointment, either the time or date.

Hang in there & in just a few days you will be able to begin recovery. Sub is a tool in recovery, do you have other thoughts about AA or therapy?

Again, I am so sorry this happened.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:36 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Wow, that's so unbelievable... there are so many Sub doctors who just don't care about the patients just the $$$. I found a good Dr, he accepted my insurance and is a psychiatrist who also is licensed to distribute Suboxone. Its not in a clinic, is a very professional office with other psychiatrists and counselors. Maybe you could look into that if you have insurance.
I googled addiction psychiatrists and my state and looked at the reviews. Good luck to you.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:58 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for everyones support. That must have been hell to drive that far liz and have everything seemingly ordered and at the end be dropped like you dont matter. Yet you persevere and stay true to your efforts to obtain help. I appreciate everyone for your experience sharing and your desire to reach out to my hand and guide me through this twisted path that does in end bring salvation. This forum as I can already see a great asset to anyone trying to recover from opioid abuse. I was met with great , heart felt empathic response. Yes I do hope Wednesday goes well because I couldnt wait and relapsed with oxycodone 90mg. I called the drs office one and a half hour's after my initial scheduled appointment and finally got through. She said the dr got caught up in traffic... but no phone call or heads up. I called him on his personal cell but he couldnt even answer... I left several messages and when I called the office at 12:30 they pick up and say we were in traffic. Really? Shouldnt your office be open atleast 30 mins before any scheduled appointments? Thats my work ethic I guess. Well I hope all goes well... I am chewing my finger nails to the root... I know tomorrow and tuesday and Wednesday will be hell through w/ds but I chose that so I will manage. Anyways thanks to everyone for posting and supplying encouragement for me to persist with my recovery.

Last edited by Jayman on Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

it really was tough at the beginning and made for a nerve racking first few months of treatment. I'm so glad that I stuck it out and I have faith in you that you will also! if your doctor continues to be so unprofessional, just make your appts ti obtain your medication legally and search for a new doctor in the meantime. I found my awesome Dr. by using the locator service at www.naabt.org. you can input your zipcode and distance willing to travel for treatment, and a brief description of what you're looking for in a provider ( long term/ no time limits on treatment) was what I wrote si that I wouldn't end yo with a Dr that sets time limits on treatment. this info is e-mailed to all Sub providers in your specified search area, and Tyne ones with openings will contact you by e-mail to let you know they're accepting patients. I was emailed within days, and when I called this new doctor he didn't a great deal of time on the phone with me answering all of my questions, and within a week I had my first appt! I have a thread about my experience called treatment match at naabt really works! good luck jayman!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:25 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I just filled out a sheet on that website. If all doesnt go well with my Wednesday appt then I will already have something else in the works. Thank you for that resource.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

you're quite welcome jayman! good luck to you! :-) continue to post and ask as many questions you like. there are many people here with a wealth of knowledge and experience who will be happy to help you. I hope you find this forum as beneficial to your recovery as I have.