It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:54 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

My doc got his VT med liscense revoked in july for 104 counts of prescribing Methadone to opiod addicts under the guise of chronic pain. I was on 16mgs a day. Every doc in my area either is booked or don't work with insurance. I am a working married father of 3 so I can't afford that. This doctor I am seeing is 101 miles away in Waltham, Mass. I have not subcumb to my original opiates in weeks. I am hoping that since I am maintaining with only diverted sub that she will immediatly start me on my old dose and let me see her in a month, since I have such a long trip to see her. Although I am currently taking 4 to 6mgs a day, it is not enough, I feel like shit and am barely able to work. At $20 bucks a pop, it just seems finanicially unwise to continue at this route. Any advise on how to talk to this psychiatrist so that she understands and trusts me. With my old doctor, I Never relapsed although there were a few close calls after my attempts at "therapy" which seems to put me in a worse spot than in a better one. I have never "lost my meds" or ran out early. My dosing schedule was set in stone and I was only ever off by minutes. I'm just so worried that I will get all the way down there and something will happen to mess it up or things will go in a way I don't expect. Any advise or soothing words would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:03 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That sucks that you lost your doctor like that and I don't blame you for being nervous starting out all over again with an new and UNKNOWN doctor.

The best advice I can give you is to be honest with the new doctor. I believe it's the best way to build trust. Look her straight in the eye and tell her the truth - at least that's what I would do. I would also be honest with how much sub you need to address your cravings. I mean, if being on the 4-6 mg you're on is too low and it causes cravings, just tell her that. Because if you're on sub and still having cravings, well, that defeats the purpose of even being on suboxone.

I'm sure others will chime in with their own perspectives. And please let us know how it goes after you see the new doc. Good luck.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:06 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

At my first appoint ment with my old doc he prescribed me 8mgs for the first 3 days and 12 mgs after that until the next month. At 12mgs my days were great, I felt like my old self before my addiction again until about 4:00-5:00pm when I would stàrt getting cravings like mad crazy. When I went back the next month, he was impressed that I sweated out the cravings at the end of the day and did not take more and end up running out. He upped me to 16mgs and there were no cravings at all. Even my cravings for alcohol were completely gone. I had an excellent doctor, who was very compassionate and caring. It was a tragedy to lose him. Even if this new doc is half as good as he was, ill be happy.