It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: needing willpower
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:45 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I need advice e on strenghthining my willpower to overcome my addiction to suboxone..

Post subject: Re: needing willpower
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:08 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey man, maybe a little more info on your situation. Are you trying to stop subs? If so, I just went through the detox three weeks ago, It's still fresh in my mind and I will try my best to share what I learned. Stay up.

Prodigy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

i have really only been an occasional lurker on this site,but reading all the posts where people are going thru very similiar experiences has been incredibly helpful . ive been on suboxone 8mg films for 2.5 years,and about 5 months ago i started tapering from my 8 mg dose,just knocking off a mg down to 7 for a week to 10 days,then 6mg,5mg,4mg,.etc....anyway i am now taking a half a mg per day,and i have to say it hasnt been NEARLY as difficult as i thought it was going to be..i know i still have this last 0.5 mg to go which may take me another 6 -8 weeks? i brought up the idea of tapering to my dr and he at first was like,oh you will be on this for life...so i really just did it mostly by myself. the only side effect that really was/is difficult for me is the difficulty sleeping-i do take a prescribed sleeping pill,but that i have been on same dose for 10 years now,and after i get done with the suboxone i plan on tapering the klonopin the same way- so what if it takes 6 or 8 months?? the time is going to go by anyway..AND i have to say i feel alot more "myself" on this much lower dose of sub than when i was taking the 8mg,my feelings have returned(this is a double edged sword,i have cried alot over these past few months but i look at it like its getting the shit out of my system and returning my brain to normal faster.)i also do the hot yoga 3 to 4 times a week,which i think for me has been super important to jumpstart my endorphins -i am not saying everyone should do what i did BY ANY MEANS,if you are happy on the subs and its keeping you sober then its great !...i just wasnt feeling good about being on them,and my social life had dwindled down to just about zilch,AND i didnt care! so i felt it was worth a try ,and i am so glad i did Many thanks to the people who share their experiences on this site-you never know who you may have helped :D

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:58 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey man, and welcome to the forum. I completely understand how you are feeling emotions again. It was a real eye opener for me as well when I realized how much the subs had an effect on me. It sounds like you are doing the taper the right way, I personally felt that I rushed it, but the detox wasn't too bad. Hopefully yours will be even easier. Use this forum as another tool to your recovery. There are countless others here that are compassionate and knowledgeable. Good luck and keep us posted.

Prodigy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

how low did u taper down to before totally stopping? i am at .50mg,and i was thinking of going down to like.10mg or maybe .20? i feel pretty much back to myself,but i dont want to derail my taper by jumping too soon.i was thinking another month or 2 and thats it. thanks for the reply :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:02 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey Guys! I'm currently on day 13 of a cold turkey jump from 6mg sub a day. This has been HELL . I've gotten through it by keeping busy and letting out the emotions when I need to.

I wasn't on it for addiction but for pain management. If sub works for you, Fantastic! But I was having side effects early on & should've heeded them. Just would have had this part over by now if I did.

Hang tight. Get yourself some Epsom salts for the RSL. Make the water as hot as you can as soak it out. Get some SamE for mood, it's helping mine a bit. The emotions of it all are what's getting me.

Be with People! Thankfully I live with my parents, so I have support, but otherwise I would have checked out several times by now. Get some Benadryl (hydroxyzine) for sleep. And GET moving as much as you can! Force yourself dude! I'm in bed with head pain ALOT & I made myself walk/run my dogs a few days. It helped get the natural endorphins going.

You can do this man! We're all doing it together. Reading y'all's success stories inspires me SO much!