It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Needing help ASAP..Plz
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:11 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was prescribed 2-8mg Suboxone films a day. My doctor didn't specify if that meant BOTH 8MG films at once OR a morning and evening dose. He isnt in his office today..and I called the pharmacy...no help there except I was told youre not suppose to cut the films. So my question is this...I took my FIRST dose at 12:45pm today. Its 6:00pm and I'm starting to feel like shit again. Felt fine up until about an hour ago..Am I to take another whole 8mg film again now, or is it too soon? Or would it be better to cut the film in half and take 4mgs? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Crap!! I just posted in your other thread, then saw this one.

If you took an 8mg film at 1pm and it didn't make you feel sick, you should be able to take another one now with no problems. If you take it close to bed time, you might have some trouble sleeping, that's about it.

BTW, you can cut the film. People who are tapering cut their films all the time.

You can go with 4mg, but I'd probably do the 8mg now if I were you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:50 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Unless specified by your doctor, which it doesn't sound like it was, you can take 16mg a day any way you want. You could take 8mg twice a day, or 6mg in the morning then another 6mg in the afternoon then 4mg later that day. The purpose of suboxone is to give you relief so take it however makes you the most comfortable.

When I first started taking suboxone I took 8mg twice a day and then months later I switched to taking 16mg a day because it makes it easier mentally during the tapering process. For example, it’s easier to just take it all at once a day and not thinking about needing another dose later on that day rather than thinking about taking it again. If you just recently started suboxone and don't plan weaning off anytime soon just take it whichever way makes you feel comfortable. I hoped that helped!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes, you can cut the films, and yes, technically, you can take it anyway you want, but ideally, once daily is sufficient. Suboxone has a mean half-life of 37 hours, so taking it once a day is enough. (In some countries they dose once every OTHER day.) The reason once daily is better is that it breaks the bad habit we addicts have of popping pills throughout the day. And we do have to break that habit eventually, or we're just doing the same thing we were always doing. We have a bad day or a bad moment or experience and bam!-I feel shitty-I think I'll take a suboxone. Even if it doesn't DO anything, it has the propensity to become a mental habit.

If for the first few days you have cravings midday and you really need a second dose, then so be it. But once stabilized, you should be fine to take the whole 16 mg in the am and forget about it the rest of the day. That's the whole idea of taking sub, take it and forget about it; don't think about it again until you take it the next day.

I hope this helps and good luck.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.