It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Need your opinions
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

As most of you here know, I am an amputee.

Lately I have been having problems with my other leg. I have been on Suboxone since July 2010. In November, my Sub Doctor put me on chronic pain management. Since November I have been taking 16 mg in the a.m. and 16 mg. in the p.m.

My question is, since there is a possibility that I could have another surgical procedure(bypass leg) or God forbid, amputation. Should I go off the Suboxone and back on opiods now to give my body a chance to be able to receive adequate pain relief?

How would I handle that type of surgery on Suboxone? I can't begin to tell you how an amputation hurts.

Needless to say I am frightened to death of painkillers not working. My Sub Doctor said "We will take you off the Sub 24-48 before and give you pain meds. That doesn't sound too good to me.

Can I have your opinions on this?

Love, Queenie

Post subject: oh geez
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Queenie, I have no idea. I wish I was educated enough to give you an intelligent opinion. What are the chances that you will have to undergo the amputation? Oh, gosh, I just hope you do not have to go through that again!!! Obviously, you'd have to switch to regular opiates for quite a while. My uneducated guess is that it may be smart to switch before the surgery, certainly more than a couple days before. You'd want to ensure that the pain meds were effective before going into such a serious surgery. I'd tell your doctor, "Look, I'm friggin' terrified of the pain from this! I need to be on pain meds and to see that they are capable of working before I go in to have any serious procedure done." Any doctor with a heart can understand how terrifying it is for someone to envision great pain with no way to handle it.

God Bless you, sweetie!!!!!!

laddertipper

Post subject: Thank you
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thank you for your honest opinion. I understand exactly what you mean. It's not spo much the chances of surgery it's that sometimes I get clots too and that's Emergency surgery. I guess my doc & I have to have a longer talk about this.

Meanwhile I'm praying that it won't come to that.

Love you, Queenie

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow, that's a tough question Queenie. As far as a scheduled surgery, you would certainly quit sub at least a couple of days before to make sure the regular pain meds are working. You know I quit sub, but I'm not sure if you know that 18 hours after I quit I panicked and took two Lorcet Plus (hydrocodone 7.5 mg) and they worked. I felt them, no doubt about it. Now, did I get the full effect from them.....I don't think so, but then again the Lorcet were 3 years old.

I'm pretty confident that if you were to come off sub 24-48 hours prior to the surgery and switch to regular pain killers that you would be fine. That's just my opinion Queenie, I am by no means a medical professional.

As far as emergency surgery, I think that's a concern that most every sub patient has. I've heard that Fentanyl is strong enough to 'override' sub, but I am not sure at all?

I hope everything goes well and that you heal up with no surgeries.

Post subject: Pain Meds
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:09 pm 

Queenie,

It breaks my heart to think about you losing the other leg. I'll say some prayers along with yours so that day will hopefully never come.

You've received some good input so far and I agree with Romeo. A friend of mine who is on Sub from one doctor, receives Percodan from another. She only gives it one day off Sub and feels the Percs just fine, or so she says. Naughty her, but at least I can tell you her experience.

Yes, you and your doctor have to sit down and talk about this. Plus, did you read that little card they give to show medical personnel you're on Suboxone? I read it and it said that "this patient may require larger doses of narcotics to get pain relief". I para-phrased that because I'm too lazy to go find the card. If you have one, read it and you'll see.

Post subject: Re: Need your opinions
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

queenie1959 wrote:
As most of you here know, I am an amputee.

Lately I have been having problems with my other leg. I have been on Suboxone since July 2010. In November, my Sub Doctor put me on chronic pain management. Since November I have been taking 16 mg in the a.m. and 16 mg. in the p.m.

My question is, since there is a possibility that I could have another surgical procedure(bypass leg) or God forbid, amputation. Should I go off the Suboxone and back on opiods now to give my body a chance to be able to receive adequate pain relief?

How would I handle that type of surgery on Suboxone? I can't begin to tell you how an amputation hurts.

Needless to say I am frightened to death of painkillers not working. My Sub Doctor said "We will take you off the Sub 24-48 before and give you pain meds. That doesn't sound too good to me.

Can I have your opinions on this?

Love, Queenie

Hi Queenie,
I’m very sorry to hear about your leg.

Your doctors can call the manufacturer to get up do date accurate info on how to best treat your pain. Here’s the number. 1-877-782-6966

Also there is a free mentoring program available to doctors where they can get free expert advice from other practicing doctors I'm unable to post links but if you google pcssb it has instructions on how your doctor can get this free help.

Typically they stop the bupe and switch to full agonist opioids, then reinduce after the ancillary pain meds are no longer needed. However it is important doctors know that the bupe will be blocking some of the opioids until the bupe wears off and they will need to dose higher and monitor you closely. Its’ important they underrated this so they don’t under treat your pain.

I hope that helps.
Tim

Post subject: Thank you so much
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thank you Rule, Romeo & NAABT.

I will have another more lengthy talk with my Sub doctor and my surgeon. Maybe they will put my mind at ease.

Your opinions count very much. Coming from others that take Subs and understand my concern.

Hopefully it won't come to emergency surgery or any other one for that matter.

Thank you all. You mean so much to me..

Queenie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:07 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Queenie, I want to offer you my most sincere support and concern. From experience, I can tell you that stopping suboxone only 24 to 48 hours prior to a procedure of that magnitude could be problematic. I stopped taking 6mg of suboxone 72 hours prior to a liver biopsy and they had to abort the procedure because I couldn't take the pain.

It sounds to me like your best option will likely be to transition from suboxone to some full agonist opiate, such as oxycontin, have the procedure, stay on the full agonist to manage your pain, then, when you are ready, transition back to the suboxone.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this, queenie.

Post subject: Thank you
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thank you so, so much for your input.

I am going to talk to my Sub doctor & surgeon and make them really listen. They seem to poo poo me when I say I am conerned. It's no them that would have to go through it, right?

I want to thank you for your concern & kind words. They mean so much. You have no idea. Just living in fear of losing the other leg is enough, now imagine worrying about the pain too. Not easy my friend.

You take care of yourself, O.K.? Promise?

Love, Queenie

Post subject: Re: Thank you
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

queenie1959 wrote:
Thank you so, so much for your input.

I am going to talk to my Sub doctor & surgeon and make them really listen. They seem to poo poo me when I say I am conerned. It's no them that would have to go through it, right?

I want to thank you for your concern & kind words. They mean so much. You have no idea. Just living in fear of losing the other leg is enough, now imagine worrying about the pain too. Not easy my friend.

You take care of yourself, O.K.? Promise?

Love, Queenie

Queenie, you make sure you talk to those doctors. And do not back down. You have every reason to be concerned. You have to advocate for yourself. You'll be OK, you're strong.

I'm taking care of myself, I promise :D