It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Need your opinion
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:05 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

My husband is an addict. He recently went to the doctor to get a prescription for suboxone. I do not agree with taking something to replace your addiction. I say take the week or so and get over it. I can honestly say I have no idea what he is going through but have seen withdrawals from where I work.

I know this a prescribed medication but what is the point taking an opiode to get off another opiode. Am I overreacting? Your opinion will be greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Need your opinion
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:00 pm 

You answered your own question Nico,

Your husband IS an Addict. He can't stop, and if he were to stop, how does He stay stopped?

He can go to meetings and work the steps and somehow become drugfree. Thats the ole traditional way. Problem with that is it is very unlikely he would Stay clean. Unless he was a full member of a fellowship for the rest of his life.Nothing wroug with this way, worked the program myself the first 3 years...

Or there is MAT, medical Assistanced Treatment. There is a high percentage of opiate addicts who do very well with this.

Or the third option is he can keep picking up and use. Wish there was a great forth choise, but in the end there just isn't.

You see people in wd. What happens to them after they leave? Most will end up useing again. If there addicts.

Buprenorphine is the best option we have today. I get the you want your loved one free of all drugs, who wouldnt. But the fact is once a person treats themselves with these opioid drugs there is a brain change. One that is well documented.

Its all about the dopamine, or lack of. Why a person starts useing there are many reasons, but saving his life there are even more.

A Drug for a drug, we hear this many times from family members and thoses in the heathcare industry. Nico, get behind your husband and support him. I sure you will and i do understand your concern.
Best thing you can do right now for him is support him and You by coming here are looking for education in all if this . And that is GOOD.
May I Strongly suggest that you go over the the Suboxone Talkzone, a blog written by this forums founder Dr Jeff Junig. Look and see what is said there. ..

Also, google "Dying to be Free" the Huffington Post article written just last year, that nails this whole issue on the head. Please read it.

You have questions, we have good answers for him and you. So glad you came here. There are many mis and disinformation out in the world and on the net that get this treatment Wroug. Ive spent 5 years on this maintenance medicine and my life turned around almost instantly. Right after the very first dose my need for opiates disappeared. As it has for many of us.

We just had a new person come back this morning here who induced and she can't believe how wonderful it worked on the very first morning.

Buprenorphine has been around for decades. A weak pain reliefer, but was turned into a great tool in the fight against addiction. Ive seen it work 100s of times . People leave there old useing life behind them. Work,school,home life, all start moving in the right direction. ..

No,you aren't over reacting, your just asking questions. .and this is a good way to start..

Maybe you could tell us alittle more about your husband's addiction? ...

Sorry I got loug winded here but Ive seen what works and how well .

Im certain others will come by with an opinion, but please keep reading.

These are my opinions and experience s, I hope it gave you some insight. .keep posting.. :D

Razor 57

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:21 pm 

Hey nicolerc & welcome!

Razor made wonderful points. Also, the way suboxone works is it has a ceiling effect that after u reach 4-8mg no matter how much u take, u cannot get high off sub. U also could take an oxy or whatever and not feel it or get high off of it. It takes the cravings to use completely away and leaves us with just a "normal" life. Suboxone is not a full opiate like oxy or methadone, suboxone is a partial opiate. There's a lot of negative ppl out there who don't know how suboxone really works. And that myth about being able to get high off sub, it's completely not true.

Addicts can't just take a week off and stop using and be cured, that's not how it works. We get debilitating cravings that consume our lives making it impossible to stop, even for the ppl we love the very most in the world. Sub stops those cravings. It's also been proven that sub also helps depression. I don't know why anyone wouldn't want their loved ones to take something like that.

I've been on suboxone for four years and my life is great. I lost everything during my active addiction...everything, now everything has changed in a very positive way. Think about it, ur hubby deserves support and doing the research on this can get him bk to a better life. Thank u for asking questions, that shows how much u care about him. Please don't keep him from something that he needs.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:31 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you for your replies. He went through suboxone treatment 3 years ago only to find out I put a lot of money into a treatment only to find out he was using in top of it. I think this is where most of my hesitation is coming from.

I understand that being on sub is a lot better than the alternative but I really do not want to see him in something for a long amount of time. Right now he is not working and I have two small children I have to think about.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:03 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey nicoler

I vote that you support him on suboxone.
I started 3.5 months ago and it prevents me from using because it stops my cravings and when something really bad happened to me last week, I couldn't just go "stuff this" and go score some oxy's; because if I took them they wouldn't even work. That's my safe guard.

It is giving me time to get used to living life normally. Its slowly training my brain to have different thought patterns and more technical stuff the doc and more experienced members can explain.
If your hubby starts sub and gets a support group, counsellor or something like that he will learn how to deal with every day clean living again. He will slowly learn how to deal with difficult situations without running straight to score. Us addicts have missed out on learning how to function properly in all sorts of areas in life because we hide behind drugs to cover pain and emotions etc, and sub gives us the chance to learn this, gives us time to create new healthy pathways in our brains and gives us the gift of getting back out there into the world and be productive members of society. For many it saves their marriage and jobs. I reckon I was on the verge of losing mine not long before I started treatment.

I believe the fact that you posted here means your whole intention is to do whats best for the man you love. Good on you for taking that step, as its not easy. I really hope you find what your seeking here.
Take care and god luck