It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: I need your help!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:14 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm prescribed 4 8mg strips a day. I'm looking for insurance that's semi affordable to cover the prescription. My doctor doesn't accept insurance, so I'm primarily concerned with the actual RX coverage. I've read a lot on insurance but am wondering which policy will work best with little out of pocket expense. What insurance do you have? Also how long did you have to wait before they started paying for the prescription? Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks!!!!!

Post subject: Re: I need your help!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:57 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Google Reckitt Benckiser patient assistance program. If you qualify by your income and your doctor has less than 3 patients on it the manufacturer of suboxone will pay for up to 90 strips a month for a year.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:24 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My doctor already has 3 patients on it. I already checked. Thanks though.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:30 am 

Hi kquad and welcome to the forum! The information that SqueakyClean gave you can be very helpful. You can only get on the assistance program through your doctor's office and they can only have 3 patients on the program every year.

I want to bring your attention to something else that SqueakyClean said. The assistance program, run by the manufacturer of Suboxone only pays for up to 90 films/month. That's 3 films a day. You say that you are on 4 strips a day or 32mg of Suboxone a day. There is a very good chance that your dose is too high and that the most you should need is 3 films a day or 24mg of sub. The amount of subs the assistance program pays for implies that even the manufacturer of Suboxone suggests that 3 films a day is sufficient.

There are many well-meaning or willfully ignorant suboxone providers that don't know enough about the drug they are prescribing! The best dose of suboxone should be enough to control the patient's opiate cravings, but not enough to cause undo side effects from the sub. The best way to find out your optimal dose is to slowly taper your dose down until you feel a return of addictive thoughts and cravings. Then add back about 2mg to that dose. For some folks there optimal dose will be 16mg, 12mg, 8mg, and even 4mg or less. Some others are more comfortable at a higher dose like 24mg.

There are those who think that even 24mg is excessive, but I don't judge folks for needing a high dose because I don't know their circumstances. If they were hard core heroin users with a sky high tolerance, who am I to say that they don't need that high dose, even if it aids them most psychologically. You see, there is a "ceiling effect" with suboxone. Once you have reached the ceiling of suboxone's effectiveness, adding more suboxone only costs more money with little to no additional benefit.

I you have more questions feel free to ask here at the forum!

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:54 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been on 4 duragesic 100mcg/h patches per day for quite some time. As of right now the 4 strips per day are barely cutting it. I'm planning on cutting back when I've adjusted to being on suboxone for a while. I'm looking for affordable insurance that will cover suboxone without a lot of out of pocket expense.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:18 am 

Well, to answer your original question: I have United Healthcare through my husband's work. Our family has a $2200 Health Savings Account that pays all medical bills, including prescriptions at 100% until the $2200 has been used up. At that point we pay for the next $1500 of our medical costs, including prescriptions out of pocket because that is our deductible. After we've paid our deductible then our insurance pays 85% of medicals costs and we pay 15%. Originally, my insurance started paying for suboxone right away. However, this past January the prescription company used by United Healthcare changed. The new prescription company required a prior authorization before paying for the suboxone. After a couple weeks of wrangling with the company by phone and fax, they finally approved the suboxone coverage and are paying for it once again. I hope that answers your question!

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:16 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

It sounds like you're somewhat new to buprenorphine? 400mcg of fentanyl presumably every 2 or 3 days is quite a heavy dosage if that it ALL the opioid you were taking. Fentanyl patches, even if worn correctly and transdermally, as well as Methadone (because of long half-life) make the transition to buprenorphine a little more difficult. Perhaps you are experiencing precipitated withdrawal or did and are still weak from or overcoming it? At any rate, depending on how long you have actually been on buprenorphine, I could still realistically see you still feeling somewhat uncomfortable because, again, you did switch from a version of a medication, and at a high dosage of that medication, notorious for not being the easiest transition.

There is light at the end of the tunnel. You're at least functional to some degree and if you STICK TO THE PLAN ie continue taking buprenorphine and DO NOT take any other opioids, eventually your tolerance will level out to the level of opioid activity buprenorphine provides as your tolerance to fentanyl at high dosages dissipates slowly; it's just a matter of hanging on!

Let me or anyone else on the board if they can be of assistance to you through this difficult process!

Good luck!

540 Greenhaven Road #201|Anoka, MN 55303
(763)250.0702
http://www.facebook.com/TpnServiceCompanies
Person-centered counseling, education, advocacy, referral services and assessments.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Actually I'm not new to suboxone at all. This is my third time on the medication. I was on it two years ago and was prescribed 2 8mg strips per day. It was working great then my doctor decided to cut me down from two strips a day to a half strip a day. Needless to say I went back to active addiction really fast. I plan on cutting down to 3 strips a day in the next few weeks. I'm really interested in getting health insurance and was wondering what kind of insurance people on here have.

Thanks!