It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:14 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

hello, im 20 years old and i was addicted to norcos (10mg hydrocodone) for about a year. for the past 2 months i was taking about 15-18 pills a day. my doses would be 3 and a half norcos and i would dose about 5 times a day. i tried going cold turkey like 6 months ago, lasted 5 days (i know i shoulda just kept going since the worst part was over) and relapsed. so like 2 weeks ago i realized, this was it, im done. so i did like a 4day taper off of the norcos. the last day i took, 4 vicodins (5mg hydro) like 4 times. my last day on the drugs is the day that i bought the suboxone. little 2mg sublingual pills. so my last dose was last sunday at like 7pm. fell asleep. woke up with withdrawals. but apparently they werent bad enough. i read everything and knew i had to wait or i was gunna get rapid withdrawals but my judgement was wrong. i went straight into the worst back and leg pain of my life. its lasted for like 5 hours and then i took a 800mg ibuprophen. and that was the last physical pain ive felt in my recovery.

so monday i took (4) 2mg suboxones: one at 9am, one at 10am, one at 11am, and one at 7pm.
tuesday i took (3) 2mg subs: one at 11am, one at 5pm, and one at 9pm
wednesday i took (1) 2mg subs: took my only dose at 9pm
thursday i took (2) 2mg subs: one at 4pm and one at 7pm
friday (today) i took (1.5) 2mg subs: i took a pill and a half at 4:30pm

so monday i felt like shit thats why i took so many, tuesday i woke up feeling ok but i was still getting used to everything, wednesday felt the same as tuesday with a tad bit of anxiety, thursday felt better, and today im feeling ok as well. ivenever really felt "high"off subs like people say. and im glad. it just makes me feel kinda normal.

here are my ????????
am i doing anything wrong with my dosing?
how long do you think i should continue with the subs? and how many?
how long do the actual effects of sub last?
thank you all for your support!! please reply!!i need your info!

take care

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oh my goodness, I wish I could help you on this one. I have very little experience on short term sub. I will say that you probably are not stableized on sub this is why you are not feeling great. You should attemt to get onto a stable daily dose and I believe most people here reccommend dosing one time a day for addiction. Of course you will want to find the lowest possible dose that keeps you comfortable and keep your cravings at bay. This dose is different for everybody. The effects of sub last a while. The half life of suboxone is somewhere around 37 hrs. You might consider reading thru some of the threads on this forum to get familiar with this medication. Are you seeing a doctor for sub treatment? You doctor should be giving you a script and schedule to follow. If you are getting your sub on the street, you might consider finding a doctor and getting into a treatment plan. This is by far your best bet. In my opinion Sub is nothing to play around with or self medicating. It is just so complex of a medication. Everyone is different on how long they stay on sub. Some people stay on for a year, some for a lifetime. It depends on your individual needs. You are so young. I hope I answered some of your questions. I know that other more knowledgeable members (& moderators) will see your post and help you further. You should be very proud of yourself for recognizing that a life of pills is no good for you and that you want to take steps to get off the rollercoaster. Hope this helps...Blessings

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi CaliGuy and welcome to the forum. We're not doctors here (except for Dr. Junig), but maybe we can try to assist you. I'll say the same thing sweet16 did - it's best to get a sub doctor for legitimate sub treatment. But that's up to you. In the meantime, let's look at your dosing. You went from 8 (mg), to 6, 2, 4, and now at 3. Everyone does a short sub detox/taper differently. I'd say yours is as good as any. It's going to be quick and I'd say there might be some discomfort even though you're using the sub still. You're trying to minimize the withdrawals as much as possible. Anyway, from 3 mg, I'd go to 2 and then slow down a bit - you might even do 2.5 first. Then from 2 mg I'd go to 1.5 and drop slower still from there. Especially if you're a bit uncomfortable like you've described. This will just give yourself a bit more time to adjust.

Now I haven't done this kind of a taper myself, this is just based on what I've learned from other people. And I'll say it again - I'm NOT a doctor nor medical professional of any kind. So take my words with a grain of salt and with that in mind.

I hope this helps. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:36 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi,

You are 20. You were taking hydrocodone. This is only my opinion, but I think suboxone is not for you. Tough it out for a week. You have every advantage going for you. Small habit, youth, ability to exercise, not a chronic pain patient, and desire to quit. Suboxone, in my opinion, is for more hardcore habits, like my nice 400-500 mg daily oxy habit for 5 years. I didn't start taking opiates until my late 30's. Just this morning before I read your post I was thinking about when I "should have" stopped. I, like you, was taking hydrocodones, maybe 30-50 mg a day, and the first time I ran out after about 30 days of use, I had trouble sleeping for a couple nights and that was it. The third day I felt normal. I'm telling you, if you continue with suboxone, your tolerance is going to shoot sky high and you may be in much deeper than you are now.

The usual disclaimer - I'm not a doctor and this is just my opinion. But I'd give anything to be where you are right now.

Take care
Jimmy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've done a couple of inpatient buprenorphine detoxes. The doses vary a lot depending on habits, but for me they went something like this (my memory is very foggy):

Day 1: 4mg
Day 2: 8mg
Day 3: 8-12 mg
Day 4: 6 mg
Day 5: 4 mg
Day 6: 2 mg

It went something like that. I remember it increased up until day 3, then tapered fairly quickly. The dose was meant to match the intensity of withdrawal, and with heroin that peaks about day 3. The beautiful thing about buprenorphine detoxes, is that when they're done properly, there can be virtually no withdrawals. It's bizarre. You expect the buprenorphine will just delay the heroin withdrawal, or you'd end up withdrawing off the bupe. And it turns out to be neither? It's still not fun, but it's nowhere near as hard as detox should be.

Given this isn't a legit-prescribed regimen, and I gotta tell you I'm no doctor. I noticed they'd only prescribe me Subutex until the day before my withdrawals would have ended, so the Sub only masked the withdrawals, and nothing extra. There are longer (30 day etc) detox regimens, but I have no experience with them, and the way they did it for me was the closest thing to a magic bullet. If only it could keep you clean as well.