It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Prepare for battle
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:18 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Before starting a tapering program it's essential that we come to terms with the type of personality we have. THAT'S when the brutal honesty kicks in. Most people aren't honest with themselves, addicts are the worst. Some questions a qualified counselor might need answered are 1) the depth of your addictive tendencies. 2) do you or have you been diagnosed ADD or ADHD or OCD. 3) Do you suffer from mood swings and/or depression? Once the physical addiction seems under control, the psychological battle will manifest itself and it can get ugly. Please find a qualified addiction counselor to help you fight the other war. If you have already done that - congrats. If not, please consider. Best of luck, it is a winnable war :)

Post subject: Re: Prepare for battle
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:01 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

walkon wrote:
Before starting a tapering program it's essential that we come to terms with the type of personality we have. THAT'S when the brutal honesty kicks in. Most people aren't honest with themselves, addicts are the worst. Some questions a qualified counselor might need answered are 1) the depth of your addictive tendencies. 2) do you or have you been diagnosed ADD or ADHD or OCD. 3) Do you suffer from mood swings and/or depression? Once the physical addiction seems under control, the psychological battle will manifest itself and it can get ugly. Please find a qualified addiction counselor to help you fight the other war. If you have already done that - congrats. If not, please consider. Best of luck, it is a winnable war :)

is this directed at me? I've been being treated by a doctor and a nurse and counselor from day one. I am follwing their instructions and communicating all my actions and reactions with them. This is a center specalizing in subxone treatment. I noticed when choosing a place that there were different philosophies of how long and when to taper at different places. I chose a place wth a more aggressively limited philosophy.

Post subject: how aggressive?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:12 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

You are so right! 5 different programs will have 5 different philosophies, especially concerning your tapering schedule. The best for me was a slow taper so i could deal with my addictive behaviors. Each step down was my decision and at 2mg every morning I'm in a good place, physically, mentally and emotionally. The thought of going back to 30-40 norco 10's a day is a scary one.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Re: how aggressive?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:39 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

walkon wrote:
At 2mg every morning I'm in a good place, physically, mentally and emotionally. The thought of going back to 30-40 norco 10's a day is a scary one.

Hi walkon, welcome to the forum. It sounds like you've got a pretty interesting story yourself. Have you done an introduction post yet?

subjohn wrote:
Latest status: day 4, and I have to say Suboxone seems to be a wonder drug. I feel nearly normal and 1000% better than just a few days ago when I was chasing oxy. I'm very greatful. Hardly any discomfort. I notice some alight dizziness and fogginess shortly after taking Suboxone, but I bet that will smooth out, and there as I mentioned before sometime before a full 24 hours I will experience some withdrawal but it's very manageable. I managed to only take 20mg yesterday so I think I can stablize at that.

I am right there with you. I'm on day 10 and I'm still just blown away at how much better I feel and the better I feel, the more motivated I am to exercise and eat better - and so it becomes a cycle of progress. If I'm feeling stronger physically/mentally, when the time comes to taper it will just be that much easier (hopefully). Personally, I am not going to worry about tapering off for at least 6 weeks and even if I do it 1mg at a time that's what Ill do. I feel like "I have the time" now.

I'm glad the treatment is working for you bro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:15 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Well, they're not that aggressive per se. It's just that when I first talked to a rep there, he said they usually had people on Sub from 12 to 16 weeks. A lot of the other places actually said they commonly had people on Sub indefinitely, and still others it was more a case of several months to one year. When I actually talked to the doctor on my first day, he seemed to feel that an extended period, not specific, just not tapering immediately, was more wise. However the nurse/counselor who I actually have seen 3 days and will see once a week from now on is more inclined to see people get completely off the Sub in a shorter period.

It is really flexible, though. She has told me I can start tapering as soon as I want to and has given me preliminary instructions for what to do at the level I am at, which is a stable amount of 20mg/day.

I have dual motivation. One, I am extremely intolerant of withdrawal symptoms. I already deal with mood problems, depression and anxiety when I am drug free, so I don't want to give myself any more problems in that area than I have to. On the other hand, I am highly motivated to be drug free and was only on opiates for 4 months. So it doesn't seem reasonable to be on Suboxone for a great deal of time. I also experience some amount of anxiety just knowing that I am still vulnerable to withdrawals as long as I am on Suboxone. What if something happens to my prescription? What if I get caught out of town without my dose? etc. For those reasons I am motivated to taper as quickly as is not uncomfortable.

I am also doing a lot of other things to treat my addiction from a psychological and spiritual level. The Suboxone is just one aspect of my recovery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:11 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Lastest update: I had a FANTASTIC weekend. Felt pretty good all the way through. Still having short periods before doses where I feel a little bad, but that's likely to continue as I stay close to a comfortable taper limit and very acceptable. It was great to be "clean" this weekend. Instead of laying around half alive and watching TV for hours, I actually got up and did stuff.

I have been able to reduce my Suboxone intake from the original 24, to 20 for 2 days, then 16 for 2 days, and I felt so good yesterday and took only 14. Pretty much felt fine through my first dose today with that. I mean I do start to get the sniffles a couple hours or so before my dose but otherwise feel pretty good. Of course my mood has been great after skateboarding for the 1st time in 4 months yesterday. I was a little worried that a lot of physical exertion might cause my metabolism to speed up and digest the Suboxone ahead of schedule, but that didn't seem to happen, and the positive impact on my mood has been marked.

I have decided I am going to try to continue tapering some every 3 days, or whenever I have just one day without any effects at a certain taper. I'll see how it goes. So far so good. I have read that if you get off of Sub within the 1st few weeks that the withdrawal is a lot milder, so I would really like to take advantage of that. I'm going to see if they will give me some 2mg pills instead of all 8's so I can measure my tapering more accurately.

I've also pretty much settled on taking 2 doses a day rather than 1. It seems to keep the chemical level more even and sort of dilute the slight withdrawals I feel before each dose period.

Hope you all had a nice weekend.