It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:14 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I currently need about 240mg oc ocxycodone (120mg twice a day of oxycontin) to stay out of withdrawals. Is this too high a tolerance for Suboxone to treat at it's maximum dosage of 30mg? I can't quite tell from the information provided and the program I am starting hasn't even asked me how much I used. I talked to one last week and told them I needed 200mg and and he said "hmm, that equals about 20 pills a day" we'd probably start you out at 16mg of Suboxone. From that I'm assuming that I'll be alright, but in reading that methodone users have to taper to 30mg, that seems like I am over that quantity. I'm supposed to be starting tomorrow, but if I start and it doesn't go right, I will probably lose my job and have lots of problems.

Thanks for help,
John

Last edited by subjohn on Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:12 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey subjohn -

From what I hear, you will probably be OK on suboxone. I think your biggest challenge with this is that you need to be in mild to moderate withdrawals - and I can't speak to oxycontin.

My DOC was oxycodone (after all the others) - which has a shorter half life. With oxycodone 24 hours from my last dose was absolutely fine. I think you need more time with oxycontin - but it's really about the COWS score on withdrawal. You can't cheat suboxone.

If you are in mild/moderate withdrawals from your dose of oxycontin, I think you should be OK with sub. I hope others that have been on oxycontin will speak up here.

I also know, that those who chew up oxycontin - may be different (faster absorption?) than those who swallowed the pill and let it work longer.

As for the mg - mg comparison - You are OK from my reading and understanding, but I am NOT a doctor.

Good luck, and please keep us posted!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:27 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi Subjohn,
I can only tell you my experience. I was also on a high dose of oxycodone.. Mine was over 300mgs. per day when I got into Suboxone treatment! I am on 16 mgs. of Suboxone a day and have been for 11 months. Like LatheDude said the toughest part at least for me was that I had to be in mild to moderate withdrawals . That is not fun.... It was the hardest thing I ever had to do, But the best thing I could have done!!! For me everything is going great. I take my meds and go to counseling twice a month. So far it has worked. No cravings for opiates at all. I would find a Suboxone Dr. before you try to quit on your own.. There are some very good Subox Docs out there. Best of luck and keep us posted on your recovery.

God Bless!
TW

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:02 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

So first off, I'll answer my own question in the topic. No, it is not necessary to taper from that level of dependence. Theoretically you could do this with a dependence of about twice that without problem. Above that and you would either need to taper, or contend with mild? withdrawal for a day or 2 on the maximium Subxone dose.

oxycontin and oxycodone are the same drug. Oxycontin just has time release, so it doesn't really have a longer half life, but you have to measure that half life from the end of the time release period (10 hours) rather than when you take the pill. At any rate, I was extracting the oxycodone from the pills and shooting it, so there was no time release factor. However I had planned to take a time released one at the cut of time to lessen my suffering. But I got too worried about not being in enough withdrawals and cancelled that idea. I just took a 200mg shot of oxy, which is normal for me. And did nothing after that. Well, I woke about 5 am in withdrawals which escalated the next couple of ours and the rest is misery. So I am positive I could have taken my less dose several hours later. Like 12 hours before the sobxone. I have read in one place that you must take the suboxone after the half life period of your drug. Which is 2 hours for suboxone. Most every where else it says a 24 hours or more depending on the drug. It's a shame the docs don't interview you and get you more to a minimum. I was feeling so bad at 8am I started rigging up a shot, but in the end decided to push on through and not risk not being able to start. Of course, my 12:30 apt at the doc ended up me actually getting the suboxone about 2pm. I was given 8mg to take immediately and 8 to take in about 4 hours. After a 1/2 an hour on the 8. I was feeling better but still somewhat crapppy, I went ahead and took the second 8mg without waiting. About 1/2 hour after that I begin to feel almost OK, but not quite. A assume they will increase my dose slightly tomorrow and that should settle me out.

So gee, now I'm addicted to a new drug. Hopefully I can reduce down pretty quickly. The doc wasn't real enthusiastic about me reducing quickly. He said I would be at risk of cravings. But I've been addicted before. Actually in the last 16 years I've been clean more than I've used. Being clean is my natural state. I just got into trouble with pain meds a few months ago after a really bad accident. I'm very involved in NA and have even been going during my relapse. So hopefully I can tolerate quick reduction and I can talk my doc into it.