It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:40 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Y'all have talked me into taking my Suboxone only once a day so I can get out of the habit of thinking about "my next dose" later in the day and the good feelings that go with that. I have been taking my first dose at 6am. I have to be up at 6:15am so I set my alarm for 6am, wake up, take my 1st dose, and then semi-snooze for 15 minutes (btw, is it ok to take it while lying in bed as long as I hold it in my mouth as instructed - under the tongue)? I take my second dose anytime between 1pm-4pm depending on the day, but I am clock watching a lot thinking "is it time to get my second dose?" Yep, that's an addictive brain at work.

How would you switch everything to the morning? I take 12mg a day (1st dose - 1 4mg strip; 2nd - two 4mg strips). Would you just slowly taper the 2nd dose and transfer what I didn't take to the morning dose? In simplified terms, here's an example:

Day 1: 4mg AM; 8mg PM
Day 2: 6mg AM; 6mg PM
Day 3: 8mg AM; 4mg PM
Day 4: 10mg AM; 2mg PM
etc...

Granted I could do this over a longer period of time to minimize afternoon discomfort, but in theory I shouldn't feel any physical withdrawals, right? In theory, having more in my system in the AM will take care of things in the PM. Only psychological w/ds should be expected (i.e. i'm not getting my afternoon cocktail darnit!).

Of course, I have been wanting to taper off my 12mg (I used to take as much as 24mg a day and got down to 12mg, but got stuck there). I could commit to tapering the afternoon dose and NOT giving the difference to the morning dose. But I wonder if that is too much change to be successful.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey family:

BUpe has a long half life. It really doesn't matter if you're taking 1 dose or 2 or more in terms of remaining stable. If it were me I'd just take the whole 12 mg/s tomorrow in the a.m. and be done with it. I don't think you have to be any fancier than that.

And it's fine to take your bupe while in bed.

Others will likely chime in.

Best wishes,
Godfrey

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:41 pm 

Like Godfrey said, I'd take the 12mg in the morning and just forget about it. That 12mg will take care of u all day and into the next day.

Missing that extra dose is normal but just start dosing once a day and u will adjust to it pretty quick. U may even feel better doing it that way because ur getting ur full dose all at once. I think it's going to go a lot smoother than u expect :)

Good luck!!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:13 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've been dosing twice a day for over 10 years and methadone was same way.
Finally after many years on suboxone I kept getting tired but couldn't figure out why even when reducing dose by dosing twice a day I was still tired,could not stay awake if sitting for an hour.
Finally I dosed once a day and it can take 2-4 days for it to start really working the way it should.
Results are great.I can finally stay awake for over 8 hours at a time.

You may experience some minor withdrawal but it's not an opiate type withdrawal if too much is in your system.
One can go 2-5 days without suboxone before the full withdrawal starts hitting.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks to all who replied. You have been very encouraging about shifting to once a day dosage. I have been taking Suboxone for 4 years now, and have been on a 2 or 3 times a day routine. I think what is keeping on this routine is this feeling I get about 7-8 hours after my last dose. It feels like the beginnings of withdrawal. For example today I took my usual 4mg dose at 6am. At 1:30pm I had a hot flash (had to take off my jacket and was sweaty). By 2pm, I had a slight runny nose, had chills, and the yawns. So I took my remaining 8mg at 2pm and felt better within an hour. If Suboxone is supposed to last a full 24 hours at least, why does this happen to me at 2pm? Is it the fact that i'm used to getting 2/3 of my dose at 2pm (and only 1/3 at 6am)? Is it my afternoon doses running out of steam and needing another? If I switch to once a day, that would mean my full 12mg at 6am, right? In theory, that extra 8mg in the morning should push off any mini w/d symptons at 2pm, right?

I think one of you is saying I may have an adjustment period. I just worry that even if I take 12mg in the morning, I will have that mini-w/d around 2pm and i'll just go get even more Suboxone (which would make me run out early). I really want to switch to once a day though. What do y'all think? Keep encouraging me please! :)

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey fg,

Can't hurt to give it a try. 12 mg/s is well into the ceiling effect and should be enough to hold you.
I can't say why you're having WD symptoms. Some of this stuff can be a matter of expectations, Which is
to say if you're expecting....or even just worried about WD....the mind is always ready to oblige by giving you
symptoms. I had something like that happen to me early on.

I think the best thing you can do for yourself is go to the talk zone section of this forum (just click the tab at the top of the page) and read as much as you can about bupe's long half life and bupe's unique ceiling effect.
That should set your mind at rest.

12 mg/s should be plenty of bupe, unless you've got some sort of very unusual physiology.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There are some cases where Suboxone, and the product it's metabolized to in your body -- norbuprenorphine, is metabolized quicker by some people than others.

(The urine tests trigger positive for norbupenorphine, because that is what buprenorphine turns into during metabolizing process)..

If you have a higher metabolism ...you would know this most likely, as others meds would also not last.

It all depends on your end-goal..your long-term plan...
Are you aiming to get completely off suboxone?

If you do have a higher metabolic rate, then you may just have to deal with doses more often, but taking less each dose ...

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:29 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

i need to do this as well. i don't get any physical effect when I take my subs. its just a mental thing for me at least.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:21 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Like Jonathan said, some people metabolise Sub faster than others. I'm one of those rapid metabolizers. That being said, I only dose once a day, and have recently switched from 16mg to 12mg. The switch has caused me to feel some mild withdrawal effects in the evening. However this is usual for when I reduce my dose, and it usually takes a few days to adjust.

For many people, 8mg once a day is ample to keep them over the ceiling effect for a full 24 hours. You might be in a different category given your metabolism, where you might need a higher dose to keep your levels above the ceiling for the full 24 hours.

That being said, 12mg should be enough. If it isn't, and you experience withdrawal-like effects, I'd encourage you to ride them out. It'll only be for a few days. I try to view those withdrawal periods as "healing". It's when you're feeling those symptoms that your brain's mu-opioid receptors are downregulating, and adjusting to the new dose regime. If you didn't feel slightly uncomfortable for a few days, you wouldn't be making progress. Try to view it as a good thing.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:04 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Some of you have mentioned metabolism as a factor in how long Suboxone works for you. I have always had a fast, active metabolism when it comes to food (I can eat anything and everything and i'm at my perfect weight). Is the way we metabolize food, the same method used to metabolize drugs?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm not really sure familyguy. All I can run off is my own experiences and those of my friends. I tend to metabolise sub pretty fast, and I'm a tall / lean build who can eat lots of food and drink lots of beer fairly easily. Some of my heavier friends who are on Sub don't experience the same rapid metabolism, and franky don't even understand or believe me when I tell them that I have in the past used other opioids on the same day after being dosed 6-8mg of Suboxone!!

Unsure how connected body type is with metabolism of Suboxone because there's no data it seems at this stage connecting the two. Apparently it's metabolised by two enzymes in the liver - CYP3A4 mostly, and CYPDA2 to a lesser degree. If you wikipedia those two enzymes you can see all the other medications and supplements that are metabolised by the same enzymes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:54 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

TeeJay wrote:
Unsure how connected body type is with metabolism of Suboxone because there's no data it seems at this stage connecting the two. Apparently it's metabolised by two enzymes in the liver - CYP3A4 mostly, and CYPDA2 to a lesser degree. If you wikipedia those two enzymes you can see all the other medications and supplements that are metabolised by the same enzymes.

Hi TJ, so would that possibly mean that if you are taking a medication or supplement that is also metabolized by those two enzymes, that it could in theory slow down the speed of metabolizing sub because your liver and those enzymes are "busy" taking care of something else and, can't focus all of its "attention" on either the norbupe or the other med/supplement that was simultaneously ingested? I think for that very reason there are certain meds out there that can't be taken together due to risk of toxicity.

I'm pretty sure I'm also a fast metabolizer because, I can remember back when I was on 8 dropping down to 6 I would be sweating pretty hard a few hours before it was time to dose again. Im not sure if it was a mind trick because i was expecting for feel some wd, however. Also on days when I'm a little more active it seems to burn through my dose a little quicker.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:40 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've been having issues with Suboxone producing extreme tiredness.
I was dosing at a lower dose twice a day,then tried once a day.
I am now back to twice a day at a higher dose and finally after two years my energy has returned.

I can say with certainty now that some people may dosing twice a day.

When I dose once a day my energy lasts about 8 hours then plummets quickly but after I dose again it returns.
I thought I had other issues going on but so far it looks like I need to dose twice a day or my energy level bounces around.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:03 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

i'm at a lose dose, but i'm still dosing 2x a day, .5 total. it works for me. i've gone from 16mg a day to .5 a day in 9 months, so it is still a significant taper while i get my life together.