It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:34 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello to all and thanks for all the post and information on the site. I'm a 45 yr old male and been on suboxone on/off for 7 yrs. I attend AA meetings at least 5 days a week and see a councilor regularly too. Like most I'm struggling to pay for the suboxone films and looking for a Dr who'd prescribe subutex. I've called multiple Drs in my area and can't find one who writes subutex. My Dr says as a general rule he wont prescribe for fear of shooting the drug up. If anyone has any advice on how to save $ or a Dr id be grateful. Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:41 pm 

Hi jdb9632, and welcome to the forum! Sorry you didn't get any responses from your post but what you're asking is fairly specific and only applies to those who live in your area. By posting back, this bumps it up to the top again so maybe someone from Huntsville will see it and respond.

And yes, there is a weird fear among doctors about prescribing Subutex. They all seem to have it in their brains that every addict will shoot it up w/o the naloxone in it. Well, from what I've read here in past threads people have shot Suboxone up and nary a complaint about the naloxone in it. So much for that idea!

Most of us were run of the mill pain pill addicts and the thought of shooting up our Buprenorphine never crossed our minds. We are all grouped in together like we all think the same. That's way further from the truth. IMO, each patient should be evaluated about how and what they abused prior to surrendering to Suboxone. Then, if Subutex is the right choice it should be prescribed. It will take time for the medical world to understand more about how Suboxone works vs Subutex. Years ago, we seemed to be the only ones who knew what Buprenorphine was. Now it has gotten much better. Back in 2011 I had surgery and not one nurse had ever heard of Suboxone. My surgeon knew very little so I suffered greatly with intense pain. I'll never go through that again.

Back to you. Have you exhausted all the search methods offered here and online? And why do you insist it has to be Subutex? Do you have a reaction to the naloxone in Suboxone?

Glad to have you with us,

rule

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Maybe look further south, in Birmingham. I know of a doctor in Centerville.. but there are several around the Bham area. You'd just have to call them and see what their behaviors are. Most doctors probably wouldn't have a problem with this, but you'd need to be an established patient. Then again, some doctors don't care if you got 5 years with them without a hiccup, they still don't want to give out Subutex because of the RB reps giving it a bad rep...

My doc would switch me if I asked, but I'm happy where I am. I could go Subutex, generic, etc...but I don't want to rock the boat if it aint sinking.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.