It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:49 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I am prescribed subutex for chronic pain management. I live in the port st Lucie area of FL. The dr I am currently seeing is great but he doesn't accept insurance and its getting expensive. How do I find a dr in this area who will rx subutex for chronic pain? I went to the sub website to search for drs but it seems like they only rx it for detox. Can anyone help? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:04 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

If there are no addiction issues and it is being prescribed for pain then it is considered off label and any provider with a DEA registration for Class 3 drugs can prescribe it. This doesn't mean they will, but if your F.P. has patients on chronic opioids for pain they can take care of you as well.
good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:57 am 
New Poster
New Poster

There were addiction issues w opiates in the past. The opiates were prescribed from a dr after a car accident. They were great because they decreased the chronic pain as well as the pain from 2 herniated discs. Prior to the opiates, I was prescribed subutex for chronic pain. My current dr said my diagnosis can be classified as opiate dependence or chronic pain. The trigger for me w opiates is pain. No opiates for sometime now so there would be no detoxing involved. I am just not sure how to find a dr who prescribes subutex for chronic pain. It's sounding like its going to have to he trial and error and maybe asking my other drs for referrals. My psychiatrist can rx subutex for detox. I am not sure if he would be willing to rx it for pain, but my first dr who gave it to me for pain was a psychiatrist. Does this change anything? What role would addiction have to do w subutex for chronic pain?

Thank you very much for your response.

PS.. I don't have a PCP....

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:31 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Does your psychiatrist use suboxone for detox only or do they use it for maintenance as well? They may be able to mangage both your pain and dependency. Would you be able to use suboxone if they insisted? Many have drank the Reckitt Benckiser koolaid and won't prescribe subutex unless pregnant. Most of my patients have pain issues as well as dependency/addiction but I have good back up with an interventional pain physician to collaborate the pain part. Really the only adjustment seems to be that pain patients need 2-3 smaller doses per day instead of a daily dose.
If you did well with subutex another option can be Butrans, which is the patch formulation that is approved for pain.
good luck with the calls. PAX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:59 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks so much for responding! I was going to actually talk to my psychiatrist abt it. He does rx suboxone. I was told I am in my "child bearing years", so that's why the last dr gave me subutex. I will start there considering I am seeing him next week. Thanks again!