It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:42 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey guys. I was given devastating news today. Since 2015 I have been struggling with my Gallbladder. I was scheduled to get it taken out on Dec 6th 2015 (my 19 bday) .AS I was in the waitin room prepping for surgery. Obamacare was passed IN south Carolina. I was then asked to pay $10,000 now since 'You are self pay sir, You have to get removed or within 3-5 years you could die from letting obstruction of gallbladder go on without surgery!" I was crying and told her I didn't have 10k. So my doctor called the surgeon and begged them to let them do it and offered to pay $5,000 of my surgery and that she and I would figure out the remaining balance. They mean lady told her "You non-network Doctors couldn't afford to pay for his surgery, you advertise/bash our surgeon because he receives kick backs... NO" She hangs up the phone and asks me to leave .

It's now 2 years later. The time has come, My PA-C who I consider a doctor. I don't care if she isn't a "Doctor" . but she's amazing. She told me she has to taper me off Suboxone and switch me back to Pain management until we come up with the 10k. She ran 2 hours worth of tests for free just for me, (They costs upwards of $1300) and told me my Gallbladder surgery can be postponed and I won't have to live in the risk of dying from not obstruction of gallbladder. I feel stupid , but I am in so much pain and the suboxone can not provide the relief

Tomorrow when I see her she's thinking of writing me Roxicodone 15 MG 3-4 times daily, or an ER opiate but i am self pay and ER opiates are too expensive... I want to make it clear i will have cravings to get high . But the pain over weighs the cravings. Some support and replies and input/ur thoughts on this would really help. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:34 pm 

Ok, Chandler. Let me see if I can get it down to brass tacks.

How are you getting your suboxone, because it seems like you should be able to talk to your sub doctor about your pain?

Regarding surgery... So your PA did a lot of testing and says that you DON'T need surgery, right?

So your main problem is that you need pain medication, but you are afraid of being on meds that are IR, and that they could trigger your opioid addiction, yes? A PA should be aware of this concern. There are ER medications that have some pretty good coupons. I think that goodrx.com has very good coupons on it. You might want to look up that website. I am on Nucynta ER myself and yes it's expensive. My health insurance takes care of a lot of it.

Let us know how we can help you, ok?

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm a bit confused by your post-- for example you wrote that you received devastating news today, and I am not sure what that news was. I'm also not sure about the Obamacare part. But I'll throw out some thoughts.

The insurance part is pretty basic; you go to health.gov and sign up. The cost is subsidized for most people, and others pay dearly. My policy for my wife and I costs $21,000 this year, and the deductible is $10,000 per person. In other words, this year I pay $30,000 before my insurance kicks in(!). People will argue about the value of the Affordable Care Act and whether it was necessary, but clearly we are in a transition, and Obamacare is not working. It will either be gutted by the the current Congress or replaced by a wave of Democrats in 2 years, one or the other. I had to laugh a week ago when I ready that 'record people are signing up'... the reason for that is because there is literally NO other choice. Ten years ago I had 20 companies to choose from, all fighting for my business.... but now I have only one 'option' for my health network, which is Common Ground insurance through the ACA. Every other insurance plan in my state stopped providing insurance for individuals. (just venting....)

It sounds like you have gallstones from what you wrote. The risk with gallstones is that one will pass into the bile duct and then into the common duct, where it could get stuck and block off the liver and/or the pancreas. That would require emergency surgery, and you would not survive without that surgery. The pain you're having now might be from your gallbladder, or maybe not. Usually gallstones sit there without causing symptoms, until one passes. Sometimes people get infection in the gallbladder, but again, that is an acute condition that would kill you within weeks, and you would be very ill, requiring hospitalization. Sometimes people have gallbladder-like symptoms without gallstones, and surgeons often find reasons to go ahead with taking it out. They may say you have 'sludge' in your gallbladder. It all LOOKS like sludge, so I don't know if there is such a thing in reality.

Opioids affect gallbladder function by increasing spasm at the 'sphincter of Oddi', which is where the bile duct joins the intestine, and that could increase your pain if the gallbladder is the problem. To be frank, it would not be considered good treatment to give pain medication to someone with gallstones-- just like it wouldn't be reasonable to give narcotics to someone with appendicitis (other than during the short time you're hurrying to get that person to surgery). I could see treating you with opioids if it was clear that the gallbladder was NOT the problem, for example if you had an inoperable source of abdominal pain like chronic pancreatitis... but the solution has already been proposed to you, which is to remove the problem.

Good luck!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:27 pm 

I had my gallbladder removed in 2001. I started having awful episodes, usually in the evening for some reason. It was painful but it was usually after I ate something so I just assumed it was something wrong with me from greasy foods. One night it became unbearable and I started vomiting because of the pain. I was by myself so I called an ambulance. I found out I had gallstones and they removed it. I had insurance bk then through my work.

I never had constant pain from my gallbladder, only episodes that would last a couple hours and be fine until another episode happened until that last one that was unbearable and it was taken out. If it gets to the point of being unbearable or worse than usual, can't u go to the ER? I'm not positive but if u go to the ER and don't have insurance, won't they do the surgery if u have to and u can possibly make payments? After I lost my insurance, I had to go to the ER and I qualified for assistance that literally paid my entire stay, ER and all. I got a letter afterwards that showed it cost somewhere around 11,000.00 (this wasn't the gallbladder) and I didn't have to pay anything. That could just be in my state, u may not qualify.... I don't know but I thought it was worth mentioning.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Amy-Work In Progress wrote:
Ok, Chandler. Let me see if I can get it down to brass tacks.

How are you getting your suboxone, because it seems like you should be able to talk to your sub doctor about your pain?

Regarding surgery... So your PA did a lot of testing and says that you DON'T need surgery, right?

So your main problem is that you need pain medication, but you are afraid of being on meds that are IR, and that they could trigger your opioid addiction, yes? A PA should be aware of this concern. There are ER medications that have some pretty good coupons. I think that goodrx.com has very good coupons on it. You might want to look up that website. I am on Nucynta ER myself and yes it's expensive. My health insurance takes care of a lot of it.

Let us know how we can help you, ok?

Amy

i use goodrx for all my meds lol . Anyways after running more tests My PA-C , and Doctor told me I HAVE to be on pain medication to ease my gallbladder. meaning to keep from contracting/rupturing. I am officially off Suboxone. My PA-C is more helpful tbh than my doctor. I love her. I am signing my pain management contract on December 11th, I will be most likely put on Morphine 60 MG 3 times daily, Roxicodone 10 mg 3 times daily. I am not worried about abusing the Oxy. Only the morphine. Morphine was my favourite opiate. In the mean time she wrote me Roxicodone 10 MG every 3-4 hours ( up to 6 doses a day) until the 11th when I sign the pain contract. I would rather be put on Oxycodone ER, but it's more expensive ... even with goodrx. Please guys, If you know any long acting version opiate that is cheap as Morphine please let me know. My problem with opiate addiction is morphine. I was written 72 oxycodone 10 mg until the 11th. when I get my pain management script my PA-C is dispensing me Narcan Nasal Spray (2 pack) sample to keep on hand 24/7 in the event I relapse and OD. I really honestly Feel alot better on Oxycodone , bcuz im not in pain . anyways once I get the surgery I will eventually go back on Buprenorphine.
- Please continue to post replies and support me. I need it. Because I am moving out today and my family doesn't support me anyways, they call me an addict even when i was on Suboxone. I really hope you guys will still keep me welcome in this group. Yes I am on pain management. but im looking at it as Suboxone treatment Plus a med for pain relief if that makes sense?? Any messages for advice or support would be so helpful to me. Once again, if you know of any ER opiates that are cheap as morphine please tell me .
thanks, OsnapitzChandler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi, I'm Queenie,

I have been on Suboxone for almost 8years. I have had 6 femoral bypasses, 2 amputations and several surgical procedures.

If you look for my posts(Queenie) you can read about going back on Subs after morbid drugs. I'm talking Fentanyl, Dilaudid etc... I am back on my Suboxone after removal of 2 stomach tumors.

I know this is not your problem right now but I just want to say that I hope you can find an end to your problem so you don't have to be on opiates too long. I am hoping you can find your way back to Suboxone because if you take opiates indefinitely, you may not find your way back.

Hoping all goes well for you.

Queenie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Opioid pain medications do NOT keep the gallbladder from contracting/rupturing. The doctor who runs this forum (suboxdoc) took the time to write you a lengthy reply. Please read the 3rd paragraph of his post.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:34 am 

I'm surprised that your doctor hasn't suggested methadone as an alternative to other opioid medications. Methadone is long acting and provides more pain relief than buprenorphine. Although methadone can be difficult to transition back to buprenorphine, it can take away the pain without triggering your addiction. You might want to ask your doctor about it.

Chandler, we are not going anywhere. This group is great at offering support while keeping people accountable. So if we are not understanding your situation as clearly as is necessary to answer your questions, we will keep trying to gain that understanding. Lilly is correct that you received from good information from our doctor who runs this forum. What do you think about what he said?

Keep us informed on what your doctor tells you. Again, I would suggest methadone as an alternative to a morphine product that might trigger you.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:32 am 

I'm not judging ur treatment or anything like that so don't take me wrong but I would think any opiate would have that trigger. My main drug of choice for the first couple of years was morphine but I would abuse any opiate. I've been taking buprenorphine almost 6 years come January and if I were prescribed oxycodone 10mg up to 6 times a day......... I would definitely be abusing it before long. I'm not saying u will but please be so so cautious because our addiction kicks in quick and before long we're bk into the exact habits that dropped us to rock bottom. Legal or not, it doesn't matter. I'm just putting myself in ur shoes and it wouldn't matter if I was prescribed morphine or oxycodone, I'd be afraid to risk it. I'm not in pain like u are though..... just be careful.