It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: need some solid answers
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:16 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

guys come june 6 i have been clean for 4 years and i mean clean no nothing zero!! hope you guys are doing as well. i have recently started having trouble falling asleep and i have to get up at 2:30 to go to work. i have little time for restless nights. i take 8-10mg of subutex/day. i am thinking of taking half of a blue xanax for sleep. i have tried otc with no results. the only drug issue i ever had was with opiates. i have had a great recovery and don't take it for granted. so i'm not in this to catch a buzz i have a very active life between two jobs and some recreational powerlifting i need my rest. i am looking at this a health issue and have that concern with the whole benzos/subs issues. so please answer in regards to the dangers not that i am displaying addictive traits. thanks and wish you all the best !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Some people do take low dose benzos to help with sleep, but in my opinion there are other less addictive sleep meds that can be used. For example, I take Trazodone and it's not addictive at all. But with any benzo if you get in the habit of taking it regularly, you will develop a dependency and will have to slowly wean yourself off of it. That would be my main concern. Then of course there's the risk of respiratory depression when taking it with sub (or any other med that also causes respiratory depression), but it sounds like you're aware of that. If you decide to go the benzo route just make sure your sub doctor is aware of it (I assume a different doctor will prescribe it for you?).

I'm not sure if I've answered your question or not, but just keep in mind this is only my non-medical opinion. Anyway, I hope this helps.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:14 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thanks hatmaker you always seem to give good solid answers. i'm just wondering is the resp risk still a main concern considering the subs are low dose 8-10mg/day and the benzos would be a low dose just 1/2 tablet. i can understand the big risk in higher doses, but it seems to me the lower the doses the lower the risk. what do ya think?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:29 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Congratulations on 4 years! It takes a lot of work as we all know.

The only thing I wanted to comment on is i know many people are on benzos who also take Sub and for many reasons...anxiety, sleep whatever. The way i'd feel more comfortable, if it were me, was if my dr prescribed it and my Sub doctor knew about it and ok'd it. There are other sleep aids that are Rx that work well...Lunesta, Trazodone...I'd stay away from Ambien personally..but there could be something else rx for you that wouldn't be a benzo. I couldn't tell by your post if this xanax was prescribed or if your sub dr ok'd it. Many times Klonopin is prescribed with Sub. I've heard that many dr feel it is less potent than xanax and a better choice of benzo for those who need it who are in recovery.

Taking a benzo with your dose of Sub will not cause resp depression. It's a problem when someone is shooting Sub, taking large doses of both...

There is a long acting melatonin out there now if your problem with melatonin is early awakening. It's a 5mg extended release that you can buy at nutrition stores usually...just an idea.

Hope you find something that works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

At those low doses, the respiratory depression most likely be negligible, BUT I'm no doctor or medical professional. I just think I would be remiss if I didn't state that possible interaction when someone on sub mentions going on a benzo, especially for the first time (someone with zero tolerance to the benzo). Good luck to you and I hope you get some good rest soon. (And thank you very much for the kind words. :) )

Post subject: 12/16/8 exp?
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

i'm ordered to take 16 mgs a day of subs, but would like to drop to
a lower dose,like 4 mgs, but i keep going up and down from 8 and 16
mgs every 4 or 6 days, be kuz of my dysthimia. hat maker i'm not sure
but every time i drop to 8 mg i feel more fatigue and depressed.
but some times it is hard to tell the diff? this is stupid but i need to
experience this to find out. but i know i ain't no doctor so i'm trying
to see were i can at least feel a little better. i stoped taking the prozac
i was on it for 2 months and it did not do any thing, but keep me awake.
i'm also thinking of talking to doctor about some benzo meds HAT do you
think that benzo meds would help me with dysthimia wile on suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

what is the five mg pill from the nutrition store's chinagirl? thanks for your input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:46 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm not a doctor or nothing. But if someone's stabilised on their suboxone, there aint much harm in using benzos in small amounts.

The real harm lies in taking benzos with an addictive history with warm fuzzy depressant drugs imo.

Like hattie said, look into other options. In the periods when I've had sleeping issues, I've used a low dose of Seroquel (25mg). It's easy, straight forward and I've had no addiction issues with it whatsoever.

If you still want to go down the benzo road, maybe check your motives for a while to make sure your heart's in the right place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Everyone gave you good advice. I think the best way to answer someone's question is to imagine what we would do ourselves in that situation. I would not take a benzo unless I tried other stuff and it did not work. I do take a benzo (Klonopin) and that's why I'm telling you this. I would absolutely not take Xanax, because I greatly dislike that med. It knocks me out, gives me a headache, and then I get horrid rebound anxiety, and I know this isn't unique to me. If you try everything else and nothing works, then I recommend a low dose of Klonopin, such as .25 mg. I've taken it for years and, although I'm dependent on it for sure, I haven't felt the need to up my dose or take more EVER. It gives me no euphoria or high.

Before benzos, you have other options. First, I was listening to this show on herbal tea. I've tried the stuff and it doesn't work. However, this guy explained why. You need to get good herbal tea, specifically Chamomile tea, that lists the strength or comes from a reputable company. You need to make it by pouring boiling water onto the tea bag and then place a small place over the cup so the steam doesn't escape, since it takes all the good stuff with it. After it steeps a good ten minutes, you'll have yourself a cup of tea that mimics the action of a low-dose Valium. It may help you sleep.

There are also things like Trazadone and Seroquel. Both those things can work wonderfully, but be forewarned: start with a very, very low dose. My doc gave me 100 mg of Seroquel to sleep one time and I thought I was going to die. I'd start with 1/2 of a 25 mg tab or something. Trazadone works, but it can make you feel hungover, so just be careful.

I'd avoid Ambien, though it does work for the most part. Many people get up and do weird stuff on Ambien. Also, if something wakes you up while you're on Ambien, you feel like you are in another world...kinda scary, actually. When it comes to sleep meds, in my opinion, Lunesta is king. Both my parents take it and it's actually pretty amazing. It keeps working for many people, even over long periods of time. It's tricky to stop, but if you have a chronic sleep problem, it may be worth it. Also, I've taken it and it gave me no hangover and I just felt very sleepy after I took it, but not drugged. Good luck!!

laddertipper

Post subject: Lunesta
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:29 pm 

I'm with the others on taking Lunesta instead of any benzo. My doctor would never prescribe it so I'd have to doctor shop to get some Xanax. As an addict, Xanax is dangerous for me. I like the feeling while on it although I can't keep my eyes open. But I can tell it's not a good drug that would help me, and I crave it if I have it. It totally sucks being an addict!

Trazadone and I didn't have a comfortable relationship. Felt really weird on it and only took it a few times and threw the rest out. Right now I'm taking Ambien only because my insurance won't cover Lunesta. That's a funny drug too but for the most part works okay.

So that's my 2¢, just like the rest here. It's up to you to talk to your doctor for the best method of treatment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

One more thing on the Trazodone hangover issue. Like LadderTipper said, that can happen. But for me it only lasted for the first few days I was on it. After that I got used to it and haven't had that problem since. Good luck finding something that works for you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

ooop's got my solid answers :? thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

mmmm klonopin :D

*slaps himself*