It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:03 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

OK first things first I was in clinic for 11 months taking 4 8mg tabs a day..It has really been a life saver for me after being on the oxycodone for a long while my life has gotten so much better..I have Bluecross Blueshield of Tennessee insurance through where I work..I have always just had to pay a 35 dollar copay for my meds and 350 office visit..Well I get a letter in the mail and my insurance is stopping coverage for subutex/suboxone. Im definetely not ready to quit right now but theres no way I can afford my prescription without insurance. Im barely getting by as it is. I have relapsed unwillingly If I can find suboxone on the street I still prefer them I pay 20-25 bucks a piece for them but when I can find them I am having to do the other stuff to get by..My life is taking a turn for the worse I have no clue what im going to do Im just scraping by as it is. If anyone has any suggestions of ANY thing I can do please let me know.. and Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

WOW! I think the fact that they are stopping your coverage is incredible. I really hope this doesn't happen to me down the road. Seriously. Totally scary.

I think that there is a patient assistance program you could ask your doctor about. That can help you cover the costs of your suboxone treatment. You need to really search for a doctor you can afford. I don't see how they could stop covering your appointments because it is a medical condition. I would definitely look into the insurance program and figure out how they are justifying this. Secondly, I think that you were on an extremely high dosage. Most people can get by okay on 8mg per day. It might be that you could afford it better if you tried to stabilize on a lower dosage?

Finally, I think if worse came to worse, you could always call the local methadone clinic and get on methadone instead as that would certainly be less expensive.

I am very sorry that you are going through this. I hope you can hang in there and get some more answers/solutions before things get too ugly.

Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:55 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Yeah I have actually tapered down some since I got cut off of the insurance..Can't afford 4 a day buying off the street..Probably couldn't even find 4 a day considering it is such a helpful drug and people dont sell them like they do Oxys..
I found a video online, it is a News Channel in Nashville talking about bluecross blueshield tn shortening coverage and how its hurting patients. ..I just recently bought a house and I have checked a lot of pharmacys around hear and they all want around 8 bucks each..Then the cheapest doctor visit I can find is 350..I just can't afford it with this house payment and the way things are going right now..Hopefully I will figure something out.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have to agree - you're on a really high dose. Or are you dosing for pain? If not, then you might consider dropping your dose down. The patient assistance program, unfortunately, is only for people without any insurance.

I think it sucks that they are all of a sudden not covering your meds. It's scares the shit out of me. I use my insurance and if they cut me off, I'd be in a world of hurt, because there is no way I could afford to pay out of pocket. Hell, with the economy we can barely make our rent.

I hope you can find a way to get through this. Let us know what happens.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Hang in There
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:48 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I would just like to throw my 2 cents in real quick and tottally agree that your dosage was way too high, it blows my mind they give people that much, in my mind there is absoultely no point in taking that much other to get someone hooked obviously physically but more damaging in my eyes mentally because as we may not need 24 or 32 mgs of sub, if u do take that much for any maintained length of time you would without a doubt need that dose to keep you stable mentally. Sub is such a tricky drug and that in itself gives Dr's who don't have our best interest in mind alot of playroom to misrepresent what this drug is meant to do. I am in a similar crisis with my insurence as i will lose it next month because i do not qualify for any assistence anymore due to my income, at the same time i really am not in the position to pay for private insurence which has left me confused and indecisive on what or how to handle this situation. Do i lie on my application? Do i tell the truth and lose my healthcare? I really don't have the answer, I do have about 2 wks too decide my best option. I have also been considering methadone for a series of reasons which i never thought i would find myself saying but I don't have another year of active addiction left, I know for sure i will DIE, i beleive that for the first time ever and it's been well over a decade I've been addictied to opiates. I have gone thru all the avenues in which this disease brings us and I am all out of answers personally. Anyways hang in there and alot of the time as addicts there is no right or wrong answer to our problems, there is just the best choice we can make for ourselves and thats what u have to do here. Figure out all your possible options and choose accordingly, only you know what will work for you, we can't always tell and thats where places like this come in handy cuz it opens our eyes in a different shade of light. Goodluck and keep us posted