It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: i need some help
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:19 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

This may technically not be the correct place for this so forgive me if its not...long story short I have been on Suboxone for about a month about a week ago I slipped up for the first time.. my fiance and I had a huge fight and it triggered me to roll back into my old ways... I had an appointment at my doctor but I knew that I would not pass the test so I canceled it and then I ended up having to go take a drug test for a job.. well I thought no big I still have a valid script so I will at least be ok on that...boy was I wrong... The MRO called today and is wanting to know why I took opiates after I started Suboxone treatment and again I went back into my old ways of lying and told him that i had the ok from my doc to take my script for a tooth ache. Now he wants proof that I did get the ok.. what should I do? Should I just be honest with my doc and tell him I slipped up and now I need a note saying its ok that I took it? Doctors understand that we are addicts and we slip up right? Do I tell him I lied to the doctor on the phone about getting the ok trying to cover my own butt? I'm just confused and scared because this could ruin everything I have going on right now this is my first drug test problem I have had with work but they are not very understanding about it.
Please any help would be great.

Post subject: Re: i need some help
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:49 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Don't lie, you'll not be given the benefit of the doubt and may not be given much responsibility during your treatment if labelled dishonest.

I'd be honest and tell them that you are still having problems with cravings and some stress triggered you to use. You won't be given a pat on the back, but at least you can get the doctors on your side because they will be if they know you are being honest. If they punish you for your mistake then you should challenge them and explain that you are battling with an addiction and need support to get better, not rejection and punishment which may risk putting you back where you started. If they don't listen to reason, better find yourself a more supportive doctor.

But yeah, I'd definitely be Honest with them... Addiction clinics know the deal, and ultimately you are only lying to yourself so its you who will have to deal with the consequences.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you much for the reply.. I was really leaning to the telling my doctor what's going on.. that still does not help me out with the drug test at work.. should I ask my doctor to fax a note saying that they are aware I took the pills instead of my Suboxone that they are aware of it and I'm back on track

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:05 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

If work know you are in opiate recovery and are fine with you taking the sub, they should also be fine with you admitting to a slip up and being honest about what you need to do to get better, i.e. not lie and treat people like they are stupid, but actually admit that you ****ed up, and own up and shame yourself.
So, you've failed a drug test for work - and they DO know that you took opiates, so giving them some silly story about a tooth ache will likely anger them, they'll be thinking "is this guy actually for real?" and probably see you in a far worse light than if you just say, I slipped up and I'm angry and upset with myself and wish for another opportunity to try harder and not fail.

Ultimately it's your call, obviously...... if you think you can get away with it, you could risk it if you think its worth the risk.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well the trip to the doctor went very well.. I told him everything from the relapse down to the drug test for work... My doctor helped me out and sent the MRO a faxed letter telling him he was aware of the relapse and that I tested positive for the oxy at work and that every thing was back on track now and I was still continuing treatment.. I guess that was not good enough for the guy because he called my doctors office today to talk more about it and ask him god knows what about me... Because of my doctors strict privacy policy he would not release any information to him. My doctor said the way it seems the MRO is not looking to help me out but looking to keep me from working for this company... I am in a rock and a hard place.. I have been honest with my doctor now have him videotgpd truth told him what I told the other guy and the other guy is still not had enough information he wants access to all my medical history with my sub doctor.. to me that's going a little too far.. idk maybe its just me but I feel invaded. He is a medical doctor he is not stupid he knows what Suboxone is used for why does he need to know my entire history for a freaking job?!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:04 pm 

If I were you I would forget about that job and go look for another company. They seem to want to know much more about you than is legal or necessary. What is a MRO? A manager of retail operations? Just a guess.

And yes, you are probably right about them doing all they can not to hire you. Go find a new place to work and then your drug screen will come out okay.

Let us know how it turns out. And welcome to the forum!

Rule

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:04 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well, that really sucks weldingbabe!

I agree with Rule, if the company starts out like this....no telling what kind of crap you will have to deal with later!

On the plus side though, it sounds like you have an excellent doctor! IMO having a good suboxone doctor is much more important than having a job with that particular company. Construction is on the up swing right now...depending on the area you live in. I'll bet it will be much easier to find a new job than another good suboxone doctor.

Good luck with the job search!

Q

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

MRO - Medical Review Officer. Usually a physician with fellowship training in occupational medicine, or perhaps a Masters in public health. They advise human resources regarding medical issues for employees and potential employees. Sometimes they also run a clinic for the company and thus would not want high risk patients. PAX
I agree with Q, that company sounds like a never ending headache and hassle for you.