It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: need some help
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:40 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this board and wanted to get some advice. I recently found a box of suboxone 8/2 under my boyfriends bed. It was recently refilled, so I know that he's probably currently taking it. He's never mentioned this to me, so I'm not sure why he's taking it. Are there other reasons he could be taking it besides an addiction? Should I say something to him about it? We haven't been dating very long, but I'm concerned about him. Any help would be appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi hewwo48,

Welcome to the forum!

Hmmm, you found a box of Suboxone under your boyfriends bed....I imagine a lot of disturbing thoughts must have raced through your mind.

From your post, I gather you know Suboxone is used to treat addiction to opiates. The fact that your boyfriend is on Suboxone, to me, is a good thing.....he's treating his addiction.

I can certainly understand why he'd be nervous about telling you he's a recovering addict. We addicts are usually pretty ashamed of our affliction because even a lot of addicts don't realize that addiction is brain disorder (some say disease) and the vast majority of non addicts simply think we're bad people. Being an addict is not a moral failing, it's a condition we're trying to live with. Unfortunately, addiction is very poorly understood by the population at large and we addicts tend to go to great lengths to hide the truth from ourselves and those we love.

If you do decide to say something to him about it, which if I were you, I would, I would try to approach him in an understanding and supportive way. I think most of us addicts are used to being attacked for our condition and because of that, we go into defensive mode right away and once in defensive mode, we won't hear anything you're saying.

You're in a tricky situation, no doubt about it. But I would think if you approach your boyfriend calmly and with an open mind he'd be receptive to discussing his addiction with you.

Good luck and I hope you keep us updated.

Oh Yeah, he may benefit by joining this forum too? Just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:57 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi Romeo,

Thanks for your reply. I had never even heard of suboxone before, but once I was able to read up a bit about what suboxone is, a lot of thoughts definitely raced through my head.

I'm also happy that he's trying to get help, and want nothing more than to be supportive of him. I just would have had no idea that he was dealing with this had I not found the suboxone. However, I did find a needle in his bathroom about a month ago, and he brushed it off like he had no idea where it came from. I believed him because I had no reason to think otherwise. But now I'm extra worried that he was using.

I'm going to take your advice and talk to him about it. I don't want him to be ashamed at all, but I'm worried hell be mad at me for saying something when he so obviously wanted to hide this. I obviously don't have any experience with this type of situation, but I'd like to be there for him. I'm not exactly looking forward to this conversation, but I know I should (and will) say something.

Thanks again for your reply. I'll keep you updated.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi welcome to the forum!

I personally have hid the fact that was an addict and taking suboxone because I was afraid of the reaction from my husband and family. I wish they would have searched information about it like you did with this forum.

If you found a needle in the bathroom, and suboxone under the bed. I think there is an addiction issue that he is struggling with.

I personally think that Suboxone is a great medication to treat addiction. So at least has sought out help. And most of doctor's that prescribe Suboxone also prescribe therapy or counseling. So that he would be getting great treatment.

On a side note...Suboxone is prescribed sometimes for PAIN.