It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Need some Feedback
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:09 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

My husband is having a huge problem with out suboxone doctor and I wanted to get some feedback from other people who know the routine well as we do. My husband has been seeing his sub doctor for 2 years. He has tapered down from 16 mg to 1 mg now. The doctor is probably the worst doctor either of us has ever had...he seems to know very little about addiction and runs a family practice and seems to do suboxone "on the side". He comes in every month, says the same exact 2-3 little speeches....as if he read them on the suboxone website lol. He is the most uncaring doctor and the "treatment" is so unpersonalized it is a joke. There are only 2 other sub docs in our town (Jackson, TN) and he was the only one who we could afford (no expensive induction fees). Ok so anyway, the doctor drug tests every appointment and of course my husband has never given him ANY problems what so ever. However, it seems that the doctor is just ready to get rid of him or something...it is so weird...He has been tapering him down about a quarter every 3 weeks... from 3 mg (which was what my husband fel comfortable on)...to 2 1/2 to 2 and so on...Last month he was supposed to take one 2 mg strip for 3 weeks and then take 3/4 of a 2 mg strip for one week. This month has been the worst month for him, he has been moody, emotional, irrational...we couldn't quite figure out why (except for the stress of being a young married broke couple with 2 kids on Christmas)...so a couple weeks into the monthly he took an extra gram to see if it helped at all...and it worked so well...I guess he was not expecting to withdrawal as the doctor never told him he would...and the doctor is such an ass he was afraid to call and tell him what was going on...so of course taking that extra gram every day he ran short...anyway, he went in for his appointment today and told the doctor what was going on...he has to build up his courage to tell him last night, I felt so bad for my husband, an honest man who has never given the doctor ANY reason in 2 years to be suspicious...and at the beginning of treatment when my husband started, the doctor told him that he would keep my husband on sub for as long as he felt comfortable and that they would just taper him down to a low dose...So he told the doctor and the doctor got mad!! He stormed out saying "We HAVE to taper! We can go faster if you want!" He then came back to give hubby a drug test and when the results were back, he wrote him for only 1/2 a 2 mg strip...like a big "F U" for even opening up and being honest...Like it doesn't give a shit how you feel, this is what's going to happen....I mean my husband is not asking for much here, just the ability to taper at a comfortable rate for him...I felt so terrible for him...I told him we must find him a new doctor and me one too...I sure don;t look forward to his brutal, bitchy tapering method!! I mean he put my husband on a lower does than he was supposed to go to.. only because he asked to slow down a bit...Also, we have had issues with him charging our insurance very strange amounts...one month he will bill $150 and the next $515...and he does absolutely the same thing every visit! I believe this man knows nohing about addiction and is a horrible doctor altogether...I just want to know...isn't it right for doctors to make their patients comfortable with the speed of tapering?? especially when they get down so low?? Thanks for reading this mess lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes, you should be able to taper at a comfortable rate and your Dr should be open to adjusting accordingly. Sadly, that isn't always the case and there are bad sub Drs out there. My only idea is to have your husband write him a letter, explain how well he's done and how much this treatment has helped him. Apologize for adjusting his dose without contacting the Dr and explain it was because he was in withdrawl and was scarred that the Dr wouldn't be open to adjusting and slowing down the taper.

Some Drs are very egotistical and although I think you are in the right, it can help to stroke their ego. Drs like this tend to not listen well so perhaps a letter would get thru to him. The above is my advice if you do not want to start over with a new Dr but if it were me I would find a new Dr. I am sorry your husband is being treated this way, I wouldn't accept it.