It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: I need some advise.
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:20 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I've posted on here several times before, usually pretty out my mind. Mainly because I'm not just someone who used to use, I got mental health issues as well. I've been on suboxone for almost 4 years at 28mgs a day, yeah it's a high ass dose, my doctor has no clue what he is doing, it's a nice pay check to him. I'm tired of dealing with the B.S. that comes with being on suboxone, as soon as any doctor sees suboxone on your list of meds you might as well just go home because your a shady drug addict hitting them up for a fix as far as they care. So I decided to quit the suboxone, I cut it back, and stopped taking it about 2 weeks ago. Since about 2 or 3 days after I stopped it, I can't sleep at all. I haven't got more than 3 hours a sleep a night. I've with drawled before, but this running me down. How long is this going to mess with my sleeping? As for getting something from a doctor, I'm already on Effexor XR, Buspar, Xanax, and Vistaril, what else is there that's going to help me sleep? I don't want to waste all the effort of getting off it, and end up taking it again because I can't sleep, but I also don't want to waste all the time on it and everything I did and end up getting something off the street because I can't sleep. If that make sense to any. I've done the obvious, like exercise and everything I could think of to help want to fall asleep. I'm wore out to death and tired, I just don't fall asleep, or if I finally do I'm right back up a couple hours later. I need some help here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Dottapro,

I'm really sorry to hear you're having a hard time right now. I'm still on Suboxone (and will remain so), so unfortunately I cannot give you answers as to how long this will last. I doubt that anyone can give you a specific time frame. What dose did you jump off from? Have you considered going back on it so that you can do a slow taper? Most people attest to that being the best way to avoid acute withdrawals and extended PAWS.

As for the medications you're on, well, I'm not a doctor so I really don't know. If I understand correctly most of your meds are for anxiety and/or depression and even the xanax is not helping? Do you take it throughout the day or just at night? Also, many people report taking Clonodine for withdrawals. Maybe it's time to ask your doctor for Clonodine and/or a sleep aid.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help. Hang in there and take care!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:18 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thanks for at least posting something for me. I was starting to think no one was going to give me any replies. I know people are busy and have lives to live so I do appreciate it when people reply even if it's just some encouragement. I've said about it in other posts, this the only place I got when it comes to suboxone. All I have is my mom and she has her own problems and the few close friends I did have are lock up on federal indictments. Which would have been my fate had I not overdosed and forced them to move on me early, that and they thought I was dead or at least brain dead because when my mom called 911 for an ambulance for me they sent 5 cars full of cops instead, it was 20 mins later before an EMT showed up. It was either luck or there is someone above looking out for me. I found out later me and group of other people were under surveillance when they brought formal charges against me. I ended up beating most of the charges but some small stuff, and with some heavy fines and doing reform programs I was able to have my record wiped clean, so if anyone has some doubts if there is a God, there is because my life is far from privileged and to not only wake up from that kind of overdose and have my record cleared is a lot of second chances all at once. Seeing that written down makes me sound pretty bad, but it was more of me being friends with the people they were watching. That's what made me decide to get clean and walk away from that life style. Having to deal with my mental issues and being sober didn't mix very well, I've been on and off suicidal most of my life, after 3 years of being on suboxone, not having friends and not being able to get out of the house much to avoid running into people who could try to put me back into the life style I walk away from, it was driving me crazy being so isolated. I just got more and more suicidal and about 5 months ago I decided to get my self killed one way or the other. I was waiting for it to come and it just wasn't happening. Then not that long ago a guy I knew shot and killed him self. So I was like if I'm going to die anyway I might as well have fun and got some roxys, and quit my suboxone cold. I figured I should wait a week before I used the roxys so I didn't waste them, but after the week was up I realized I could actually think and had some positive motivation, and the suboxone at this point was just making my life worse by just keeping me stupid, it did it's job and got me clean, but it's time for me to move forward. That's why I decided to get off it for good, but going from 28mgs for almost 4 years and cutting it by 4mgs every 2 weeks, is turning out to be too much too soon. I can't keep not getting sleep, so I'm going to have to start taking it again and just work on getting off it a lot slower. I wanted to be done with it already so I'm not happy about it, but dealing with the lack of sleep and being so achy for who knows how long isn't doable for me. If anyone here has gone from a large dose and got off it, the input on how I should step down and how long on each step would be appreciated. Sorry for rambling on so much but I wanted to fill in the reason why it's so important for me to get off suboxone now. Thanks in advance for anyone that takes the time to read my babbling and give me some advise or even some encouragement.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:46 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi DottaPro
I am glad that you are out here looking to get some Help / support for all your going thru!! I have been on 16 mgs. / day for about 16 months But, Can't really add any info on Stopping... I can however tell you that you are not alone.... There are plenty of other people out here that wish you well in your Recovery.. Some are on Suboxone for the long term like me and some are are trying to STOP like you.. So I'm sure there will be other postings to give you some support. Whatever happens please Remember that WE are pulling for you and are here for Each other's Support. Please keep us posted on how you are doing and hang in there " You are NOT alone".. Take Care of yourself....

God Bless
TW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi:

I think you are definitely going to want to take your taper plan and slow it down quite a bit. I know that for me it was pretty easy to jump from 16mg down to 12mg (I didn't feel a thing) but after that, even reducing my dose by 1mg per MONTH produced some mild discomfort for a week or so each time.

I know you want off, but if you want to do it right, I'd strongly suggest doing it under the care and supervision of a doctor, or at the very least, take it a lot slower than you seem to be taking it right now.

Also, given that you've had thoughts of suicide, do you think it might be worth it to talk to a mental health professional for a little bit of assistance? Please consider getting some help. Life is worth living.

I hope you are well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:12 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey Dottapro -

It sounds like you are a young person trying to get back on track! I am also not good at taper advice - as I have not tapered down much yet. 12 to 8mg is all.

Naturally I have also been reading through the posts about stopping/taper. I've read some information from Dr. J on this too.

My feeling is that sleep and physical recovery with suboxone is linked to time. Cold Turkey - is Cold Turkey - whether on suboxone or roxy's... The hard part to remember - is that sub is a different chemical than full opiates.

Without a long drawn out post - leave it to say that at the receptors (which is part of your central nervous system that is currently keeping you from sleeping, and creating your aches) - suboxone is attached - even at small doses. It doesn't get you 'high' and provides only minimal pain relief at those small doses - but it's still there.

So, if your body is rebelling too hard from your current path (super fast taper really) - then maybe you will need to take a little suboxone (say up to 1mg or something) - and see if you feel OK.

Then the most advertised taper (again my opinion) seems to be roughly 10% for 2 weeks. That means you will probably take 1mg of suboxone and cut it in half - taking one morning and one night. 2 weeks take the 1/2 in the morning, and say part of the 1/2 in the night. Each step for 2 weeks.

During that time, any exercise and activity will help (sloooowly over time) buildup your own natural chemistry - and you should be able to sleep better (although you will likely have different sleep).

I hope this helps or makes sense. Good luck to you, and we are here for support.