It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Need some advice
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Anybody suffering mouth sores and lip swelling on Suboxone?

Post subject: Re: Need some advice
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Cutimous, yes, I suffered from mouth sores a few months after starting Suboxone and the Dr suggested that I change toothpaste. The ingredient that causes the foaming action in toothpaste, sodium laurel something, when used by a person taking Suboxone, can sometimes make little sores come up in your mouth. Pronamel by Sensodyne doesn't have that ingredient in it. You can't get just any Sensodyne toothpaste and expect it to help this problem though. It has to be Sensodyne Pronamel. Also Rembrant toothpaste is made without the foaming ingredient but was much harder to find, so I stuck with the Pronamel. I hope you get some relief soon as these breakouts can be quite painful. It was so bad that I just knew that I was going to have to quit taking my Suboxone, but thankfully switching to the Pronamel cured everything up. Best of luck, Your forum friend, Angie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I would recommend placing the sub in different parts of your mouth. This will cut down on irritation from one area.
Example: One day put it under your tongue, the neck day put it in the top upper lip , the next day lower lip in front of teeth. This will allow some time to heal if your gums or mouth is sensitive. The great thing about suboxone is that you will get the same effect no matter which position you put it in. So experiment, and move it around.

The toothpaste, thing is a good idea too. It def could be some conflicting issues with that too.

The moving the sub around helps me tremendously avoid the soreness from consecutive days in one area. too much irritation!

Hope that helps you!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You know, I have a little irritation on the left underside of my tongue, but that is the only place that I have taken my Suboxone for the past year and a half. Oh the right side of my mouth I have two back teeth missing on the bottom, and when I put the Subs on that side, as soon as the strip starts melting, it seems too ooze out from under my tongue, into my cheek and seems to get washed away with salavia. I'm pretty sure that I'm not getting all the absorbency because the underside of my gum where I put the Suboxone is pealing. I might like to try a new spot just to see if I get better absorbency there. Not sure where would be the best place. Any other suggestions or recommendations? Thanks, Your forum friend, Angie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HI bama,

I dose in the front upper part between my front teeth and gum. I feel like it stays way dryer there and doesn't melt away. Once I put it there i forget about it . By chance if i do take a sip of water, or talk or what not, it usually doesn't disturb the medication. But ...I try not too. This has been the best place for me. I have been dosing in this area for a year now. I used to put it under my tongue but I felt like it washed away too quickly.