It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:18 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hello, I am new to this site.

I am 45, male, and used "regularly as opposed to chipping" oxycodone for some 5 years, with a normal load of 180 mg daily.

Due to a legal problem (turned in a forged script) I quit the oxy in October of 2012, and tried to get through the holidays on a smaller dose of vicodin/hydrocodone.

Started outpatient detox around December 1, and thus suboxone at 8mg per day, though I am allowed 12.

I want to stop it as I don't feel human while I am on it. I feel emotinally flatlined, no laughing, no crying, and though I make myself perform duties around the house, I have to make myself do it or I'll just lay and feel lifeless.

I know that at 3 months, I have already assembled a dependancy to this, just as the other, but I guess since I don't get the happy feeling from this like I did the oxy, should I suffer as badly when I go off it?

The holidays were miserable, as I felt like the suboxone keeps me confused, numb, and just generic from a personality perspective.

While I tried detoxing from the oxy on a permanent basis (many times had gone through the monthly script in 10 days and therefore completed a detox shortterm many times over) I got so depressed, couldn't come up with one positive thought or emotion, and simply would consume myself with every negative emotion, regret and circumstance from my past.

I want out of this self-made prison. I know DR. J says some are destined to use and be maintained on sub, and while I have my own opinion personally in regards to myself and my situation that is different, I just want to enjoy life on life's terms again. I am ready to bail out, and cut my daily dose from 8 yesterday to 4 today, would like to try doing 1/2 of yesterday's dose until there is such a small fragment of film left I can't find it to take. Anybody try this and make it?

I am a stay-at-home father, many times by myself throughout the day, and I know this contributed to my use. I also have a shot lumbar with degenerative disc disease and an injury, so the pain was my route in. Now I no longer have legal access to drugs other than the sub as detox medication. I also am college degreed electrical engineer with honors, that wants to restore my career, my vitality, and drive to get out of bed everyday. Right now, while stable on sub, I feel like I'd just like to sleep the whole day away, everyday. I still have my loving wife and adorable 7 year old son, sticking by me. I want to stop all this mind-warping stuff and move on. I realize looking back now that my use created an anti-social complacent derelict that couldn't have possibly held a job from the binges and dryouts I used to live. I am ready to take one more slump to get through it and come out clean. Then I want to reestablish my self-esteem which is currently zero and get on with life.

Could a clean sub survivor with similar situations pls yield some advice?

Thanks
DC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:36 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

we are close to the same i was on subs for close to 3 months after jumping off at 8-12mgs a day i am on day 7 now and i cannot sleep and my wd's didn't start till almost day 5. i hope you get off of it sounds like you really want to do it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:06 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

3 months is not that long, however you have built up a dependency. I was on Sub for 3 years and tapered off and jumped at 1mg. While on sub, I remember feeling the same way you do. No emotions, numbness, no motivation etc. My advice is get on a low dose-2mg or less per day. This is not as hard as you think especially since you have only been on for 3 months. At 8mg your opiate receptors are saturated 24/7 and that is what causes the symptoms you described. If you get to a small dose, almost all of the foggy feelings go away. ALso, if you normalize at a small dose it will be a lot easier to jump when you are ready. Private message me if you need any help getting down and/or quitting. Good luck!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:39 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi there,

How are you doing? Hanging in there? I'm hoping you feel a bit better. I think as long as you're cutting down on your dose you should start to feel more "normal". I know I certainly did from 32mgs to 2 mgs even though at 2mgs I was feeling wd. At higher doses I felt like a space cadet. Hopefully you can find a stable dose and go from there.

Taper as slow as you can and be kind to yourself. Try to feel out what's best for you without getting carried away. I wish you nothing but the best and you have wonderful people here for support!

-Jen