It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:01 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Alot of the stories I read are regarding quitting suboxone during pregnancy at either a late time, or after being on suboxone for quite a long period of time.

Here is my story. I was taking pain killers on and off for about a year. About 6 days ago I got one 8mg Suboxone strip to quit taking pain killers altogether.

I tore the strip up into 10 pieces. I started at the second biggest piece which still looked tiny. I found out I was pregnant yesterday (about 6 weeks along). So by day 5 - I took a piece of sub that was the size of the head of a nail.

So basically - I've been taking sub for 5 days. Yesterday I took probably about .5mg, if not less. I didn't take any today. I feel fine. In fact, I get more anxious reading about it all - than I feel normally doing my day to day activities.

So I guess my question is - considering I've been on the suboxone for such a short period of time and such a minimal mg a day - the chances of it passing though to the baby is not likely, right?

Also, considering the above - it would be absolutely ridiculous to go up in mg, right? I'm just confused. Excited !!!!!! but confused.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

First off, Congratulations!! (I hate that people forget that whole sentiment when they hear about an "addict" being preggers) And 2nd: Calm Down! As long as u put ur "Mommy" hat on & use common sense + do a little research, u & ur Baby will be just fine!!

Over the past 3 years, I myself have had 2 very successful pregnancies (my last one w/TWINS) while taking Subutex. (4 years total on Sub)

Without knowing more specs of ur personal situation, I can tell you a few things for sure:
1. You NEED to make a decision about Sub/narcotic use. It will only do harm, even cause miscarriage, if u go on /off, up/down of different meds. Any opiate use during pregnancy MUST be regulated & to be frank, regulated by ur fam Doc, OB & possibly a High Risk OB! Even the slighest deviation in dosage (especially in the 1st ir 3rd tri-mesters) can lead fo issues. Remember, this is about ur CHILD now, not u. If u have to suck it up and admit some truths to ur Dr's, now is the time to do it. And I mean RIGHT now!

2. If u even think there is a pissibility u will us Sub or any other narcotic over the next few months, than u have to just commit to it & get on Subutex (plain old Buprenorphine) Suboxone, well actually the Naloxone in it, is not good for the baby.

3. While there are no absolutes, the likelihood that anything u've done so far has negatively effected ur baby is very low.

Hope u don't think I'm sounding too harsh, I don't mean to - just wanna make sure u understand how important is is to be on ONE kind of drug, at ONE specific dose throughout ur pregnancy. It's the ONLY way to ensure the safest/healthiest pregnancy & birth!!

I actually had to have my dosage increase w/both pregnancies b/c the Baby(s) were essentially "sharing" my dose & any deviation can lead to WD symptoms which can lead to complications, premature labor, or even death!

My own story is very long & complex. But in sum, I had 2 successful pregnancies, with my 1st daughter coming home 7 days after her birth, on phenobarbital for mild NAS. With my Twins, (and a change in NICU procedures w/NAS treatment) both were put on phenobarb & very minute doses of morphine, subsequently coming home 7 & 10 days after birth.

Please tell me more about ur situation & what I can talk about to help u.

Hang in there Mama!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've heard subutex is better for pregnant mothers because there's something in the naloxone that isn't good for baby. Considering you've taken only a small amount you're probably fine...however if you're going to continue a regime go see a doctor please so they can give you what you need to be taking. Good luck and don't worry too much that's probably not good for you or the baby.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:47 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello :) I was on Suboxone my whole pregnancy taking 24 mg of it a day! My son was born COMPLETELY healthy NOT ONE withdrawl symptom. I chose to not tell my doctor that I was taking them during pregnancy because I knew immediately I would have been judged & CPS would have been invovled. They did not test my child's mecconium like I heard they would at birth, they did not drug test me (as far as i know) my epidural worked completely. My son was born a little small, but i think that is just because he wasn't ready to come out. He was 6lbs 3 oz. He was PERFECT! He is now 4 months old weighing a hefty 15 lbs. I always read on Suboxone forums that babies are born with full blown withdrawl and have to stay in the hopsital for weeks. My son went home the next day w/ me & i was terrified of withdrawl setting in at home & not knowing what to do but he slept, ate & acted like a normal baby! Now I believe if I would have informed my doctors of my use they would have immediately been hovering my child finding everything to pin withdrawl on him and keep him in the hopsital. I am still on Suboxone & I just wanted to reassure all the scared mommies out there that everything WILL be okay and your child WILL be perfect. I cried everyday during my pregnancy scared thinking my child would be taken from me @ birth, but nothing went wrong. Everything was perfect :) stay strong, you will do just fine momma!!!!