It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There have been several threads on the side effect of constipation while taking sub. We all know opiates cause constipation but I would believe I am in the majority when I say it is a big issue on suoxone. For those of us that have been on subs long term (1year or more) should we consider doing elective colonoscopy? Ok we know it is no seceret that Elvis died on the toilet and was impacted with over 60 lbs of you know what........

I think we all try different methods to relieve our constipation I just think it is a good idea to have a thorough cleansing and also check for any issus that might have occurred due to any obstructions. I would love the Doc to weigh in on this thought process........it really is a big issue and I worry that it could lead to other issues. Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:49 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thats a good idea you never know whats up there might be nothing might save you life get it checked its painless they give you some verset and its over before you know it good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've gotten to a point where I am able to keep myself fairly regular by eating the right foods, drinking the right juices, so this hasn't really been an issue for me, although it certainly was in the beginning of my treatment. I've been on suboxone since December 2009

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:02 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I'm lucky if I go twice a WEEK! Usually once a week in the last month or so and when I do it's a battle of excrutiating pain and a huge log left inside the bowl that usually doesn't go down after one flush.:D I knew you guys wanted to hear it so I told you:p

So...Maybe I should look into it?
I'm 36 years old and have never been regular actually.My whole life I can't remember going more than once every 3 days.I have a big stomach compared to the rest of my body.Perhaps I'm Elvis?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:06 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I take 17 grams (one capful) of Miralax (Glycolax) mixed with juice every night. This medication is safe and has few side effects. It can be used over the long term - this was told to me by a gastroenterologist. It can be purchased OTC (kinda expensive) or you can obtain an rx from your doctor if you have a prescription program and they pay for some of it. At least that is the case where I live in NY. I bought some at first and it worked so I asked my MD for a rx. If you feel comfortable with this, try it for a couple of weeks. It does not work right away. It takes several days for your body to begin working with it so keep it up and don't get discouraged. If you are anything like me, you want results yesterday if not sooner. In addition, try to drink at least 8 8oz glasses of fluids per day, and increase your fiber intake. There were times when I did not go to the bathroom for over 3 weeks at a time. Seriously. Obviously this is very unhealthy. Since I have been on the above interventions I have not had any problems at all. Give it a try.

~Rossma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:08 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

P.S.
I never heard that about Elvis. Seriously. Is that really true?

Post subject: Constipation
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

First of all, about Elvis. 60 lbs? Nah, impossible. Maybe 10 lbs. I mean, let's be reasonable.

Anyway, I have to say I agree on the constipation thing. Because of pills I have been constipated and now the Subs. I find suppositories work for me very well. I don't have to take anything. It works right away and it feels like such a relief when you finish going. Now, I am aware that you are concerned with your colon being clean and I can't blame you. We have enough problems as it is. I would think that drinking a lot of water or healthy juices can take care of that. Just my opinion.

Good luck with your recovery. Love & hope, queenie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:32 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

The Elvis thing is a myth.

I've gotten to the point where it's completely un-natural. Not to be graphic, but the amount of blood is very disturbing and with no health insurance there isn't much a person can do...

So I went back to drinking 8 full glasses of water a day and upped my fiber intake. I started this about 5 days ago and have had 1 bowel movement since, which has been better, but nowhere near normal.

It's a serious issue that needs more attention in my opinion.

Post subject: Quote from USA TODAY
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

USA Today: It's said that, according to the autopsy, John Wayne had 40 pounds of impacted fecal matter in his body at death. Elvis reportedly had 60 pounds.

The colon is approximately five to seven feet in length in a person Elvis's size and should have been about two inches in diameter . . . however, Elvis's colon was at least three and a half inches in diameter in some places and as large as four and half to five inches in diameter in others . . . [T]he megacolon was jam-packed from the base of the descending colon all the way up and halfway across the transverse colon. It was filled with white, chalklike fecal material.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:29 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Holy ****! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Maybe that answers the age old weight gain question while on subs :-) I have suggested this before but will suggest it again. That weight loss drug Alli will make you go no matter what. I don't get "constipated" with suboxone. At least not technically. My doctor said it wasn't a problem if it took you a few days to go if you don't have pain when you do, etc. etc. Luckily I don't and it doesn't bother me that I only go once every three days or so. I would agree that my toilet isn't so pleased and the plunger has become my friend. However, the idea that you could gain weight with all this excess "matter" inside you or that it could potentially cause a health problem is bothersome. I suppose I may go back on the Alli just to see. Maybe that's why working out hasn't been too effective. I can't keep up with the "impacting" process :-)

- Winston Churchill

Post subject: Fiber
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:43 pm 

Great subject :lol: For me I started taking generic Metamucil fiber powder. It was suggested by my doctor at the time to help with hemmies. But use a LOT. About a tablespoon and a half at the very least with another glass of water. You need lots of water for it to work. If that isn't sufficient, buy some dried prunes and eat a dozen or so. Both are natural (to a degree) and won't hurt you at all. It'll be the fastest BM you ever had!

Had to chime in here.