It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:52 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Short Version:
Does anyone have any recommendations for Buprenorphone doctors in Manhattan that truly understand the medication? I also prefer to find a doctor that accepts insurance. Thanks!

Long Version:
I am concerned that my current Dr doesn't fully understand how Suboxone works. I am having an allergic reaction to something in Suboxone, so I asked to be switched to Subutex, and he told me that Subutex is only for people who want to take Buprenorphine "early" and not have precipitated withdrawals because it does not contain Naloxone. As we all know, Naloxone isn't active sublinguallly and the precipitated withdrawals are actually caused by the Bupe itself, and not the Naloxone. This misinformation concerns me. The Dr seems very knowledgeable is most areas of medicine, and is a very caring and kind Dr, but I want the best treatment available when it comes to my addiction.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:49 am 

I don't know of any doctors but do understand why u would like to find another one. That's definitely a good reason! :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:09 pm 

Hi Suboxonenoob, not sure if you are willing to travel but my Doc in central NJ is amazing! She does not take insurance but is willing to write a letter or speak to your insurance co on your behalf. You can private message me if interested. From Manhattan by car 50 minutes without traffic.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey noob,

The good news is you're in NYC, Must be a goodly supply of such doctors and clinics. I'm thinking
of switching to an addiction shrink in private practice, of which there are many in the Boston area. More expensive, but I'm hoping I can just do once a month medication appointments.

I've been to several bupe clinics in the last couple years while still dicking around mentally about what to do about the 500 pound monkey on my back. Also spoke on the phone with some private practice guys just to get a feel. I didn't know much myself back then (or even now really), buts a few times I've been close to horrified...in retrospect... at the lack of knowledge.

Fortunately we've the forum to keep us all warm and cozy in the happy light of truth :)
My biggest fear, probably like most of us, is needing emergency surgery. Or even something
scheduled. As Doc J. has said, it's the physician who's doing the prescribing who has the responsibility
to make sure we're taken care of in situations like that. But I don't see my overworked clinic doctor
finding the time...or even inclination...to be an advocate for me if it ever comes up.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:38 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks for the support everyone!

Michelle, thanks for the recommendation, but as a New Yorker I don't have a car, so I'm limited to manhattan :/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:55 pm 

Ur from Manhattan? That's cool, do u ever see any of the housewives of New York? Lol I'm a huge housewives fan :) and they talk about Manhattan a lot. Michelle, do u ever see New Jersey housewives or Snookie? I live in a small town, if I went on down to Dollywood I could possibly see Dolly Partin in lol....but that's about it sadly.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:10 am 

Jenn, I think it was last season or the season before that they had the woman who lived in Colts Neck and they were at the Dunkin Donuts there, well I am in that DD all the time and saw them filming once. All the other "characters" live in North Jersey so I have never seen them. I have "bumped" into Queen Latifah and of course we have "Bruce" sightings all the time! Have a wonderful day!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:05 pm 

I'm embarrassed to say that I bought Teresa's book. :oops:

Jersey and Beverly HIlls are my guilty pleasures, plus Vanderpump Rules.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:39 pm 

Amy, you are too funny! We all have our guilty pleasures.....I have been watching The Young and Restless for almost 40 years! lol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:25 am 

Michelle if you've been watching young and the restless, Eileen Davidson is on Beverly Hills housewives now! I forgetwho she played on there....she's older and blond, been on there for yrs and yrs and won an Emmy.

Amy Beverly Hills is my favorite too! And I watch vanderpump rules every Monday. I'll watch anything that has Lisa Vanderpump in it.....she's my absolute fav. And I'd definitely read Teresa's book lol! That's awesome to know that my guilty pleasure is also urs!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:53 am 

Yes, she plays Ashley Abbot. Not a big fan of nj housewives because it really is not the way we are. It's so dramatic! lol And, I have no patience for Carolyn Manzo! She tries to play that she is so emotionally healthy and yet gives the worst advice!lol I also watch Hip Hop Atlanta and did watch basketball wives for a little bit too! Bridzilla when it was on....and Honey Boo Boo too!...sometimes! LOL

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:02 pm 

Yes Michelle! I miss Bridezilla lol and I like all those shows u mentioned, because I'm just a reality tv junkie! 90% of reality shows I watch.....even Teen Mom (I cannot help it lol). I love all the housewives shows, I know New Jersey doesn't represent true Jersey ppl like u....there's no way! Gosh they just put the same women in there that will never get along. I have to admit though that Teresa is my favorite out of New Jersey. The only show I watch that isn't reality tv is The Walking Dead, which is my #1 favorite show of all time :)

Btw Michelle, Nico and Margo (I know I spelled Margo wrong) from Love and Hip Hop Atlanta are on Marriage Bootcamp now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:16 pm 

By the way, to the OP, I'm sorry we hijacked your thread to talk about our trashy TV show habits!!!

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:36 pm 

Really Jenn? I have seen marriage bootcamp a few times...trying not to spend too much time in front of the television! lol