It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:35 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I currently see a doctor about 15 miles west of boston. This is about 100 miles south of where I live. I told her when we started that I was in no rush to be taken off suboxone, in fact under my old doctor we had decided that I would be better off to be on sub for life (hence my screen name). We agreed on this, but at the third appt she began reducing me monthly. This is not what I wanted at all and I am starting to get pissed. I am down to 7mgs a day and expect she will reduce me to 6mgs by the end of the month. I am now craving drugs like a m--------er, and am about to start a second full time job. I haven't been comfortable and craving free since 12mgs. I have to work these 2 full time jobs and have no time nor patience for a dumb quack bitch of a doctor who has no idea what my addiction is like. I need a doc like my first doc who knows that my addiction is mine, not his, and I know what's going on and how I feel, not him. This doc I'm with now must have lucked out and gotten a free psychiatry license in a cereal box. What ever happened to paying someone for a service and having them give you WHAT YOU WANT? I don't see the sense in paying someone all kinds of $$$ to not get things my way. There is no other business where that would fly. If anyone knows of a doctor closer to Lebanon NH than Boston who takes insurance I'd be grateful. I'm tired of paying all kinds of money and traveling all the distance just to have some know it all bitch play games with my sobriety and put my work and family life at risk. I'm fed up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:55 pm 
subloverforlife wrote:
I have to work these 2 full time jobs and have no time nor patience for a dumb quack bitch of a doctor who has no idea what my addiction is like. I need a doc like my first doc who knows that my addiction is mine, not his, and I know what's going on and how I feel, not him. This doc I'm with now must have lucked out and gotten a free psychiatry license in a cereal box. What ever happened to paying someone for a service and having them give you WHAT YOU WANT? I don't see the sense in paying someone all kinds of $$$ to not get things my way. There is no other business where that would fly.

Um..asking the doctor for a script and having them write whatever you want is not how ANY legitimate doctor runs their practice. You wanting more prescriptions than she wants to give you doesn't make her a dumb bitch. Practicing medicine is NOT the same as running a business. You analogy doesn't hold water.

You may want to restate your objectives, because the doctor you are talking shit about is NOT the one that sounds like the dumb bitch, IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi sublover,

There is NOTHING wrong with wanting to feel stable on burenorphine.  Some doctors have a weird need to "fix"us addicts. I guess it could be good for some but unfortunately a death sentence for others.  I had a doc who specialized in addiction for my 1st sub doc, he was a godsend.  He encouraged me to go at my own pace. Taper only if and when I was ready and dont beat myself up if I need to go back up in dosage.  Just happened to be 2.5 years for me to get even consider starting to taper while getting my recovery plan in place. I wish all sub docs were like him but he is in nyc.  Took insurance etc... Just CARED about us addicts and UNDERSTOOD addiction as well, Advocated meetings or counseling and was real with me to if i was out of line.  I miss him

Have you tried putting your zip code in the doctor finder at suboxone dot com? Thats how I found him - was lucky, 1st doc I called

Also-

I think you can sign up and put your Location and needs (insurance accepted by doctor etc..) in at naabt dot org and a doctor will contact you even

Lastly there is samhsa dot gov, i think thats a finder by zip code as well

Forgive me if you know this already but its prob your best bet.

Good luck!

Gb

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:08 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Sublover,

It sucks your doctor is reducing you when you are not ready!

Have you tried talking to her about this? I would calmly tell her that your cravings are increasing and you are uncomfortable. Tell her that you don't think you are ready. If she is not gonna listen then get the hell out of there! Some doctors think sub should only be taken short term. They have a right to their opinion but like you said....its YOUR recovery here! Doctors make more money by getting people off fast and bringing in new patients for expensive induction fees.....maybe that's her problem?

Glen bee gave you some good advice on locating a new doc if you have to. Let us know what happens! Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

NoAlibi wrote:
You may want to restate your objectives, because the doctor you are talking shit about is NOT the one that sounds like the dumb bitch, IMO.

This statement alone is reason enough to ban you from this site. You've already been told to quit stating personal shit about people, and you stopped long enough to change from one person to another.

I'll quickly be pointing out this particular post the staff members, because this is NOT the attitude of this site nor the people on it. We don't treat new people this way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

MODERATION ALERT: NoAlibi - you basically just told a member of this site that THEY WERE A "DUMB BITCH". That's a personal attack and is a clear violation of the rules. CONSIDER THIS YOUR FINAL WARNING. (Expect a PM from a moderator). This is UNACCEPTABLE.

To sublover:

If you are not ready to be off suboxone and reducing your dose is causing you cravings and you fear relapse, please be honest with your doctor. If you have and it still hasn't helped and she's still pushing you to taper, try using the online sub doctor locators.

They are: samhsa.gov, naabt.org, suboxone.com, and suboxone-directory.com. Give those a shot and hopefully you'll be able to find someone if your doctor still won't budge to meet your needs.

And yes, i agree with you, a person needs to have a doctor who WILL LISTEN TO THEIR UNIQUE NEEDS.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hatmaker510 wrote:

If you are not ready to be off suboxone and reducing your dose is causing you cravings and you fear relapse, please be honest with your doctor. If you have and it still hasn't helped and she's still pushing you to taper, try using the online sub doctor locators.

They are: samhsa.gov, naabt.org, suboxone.com, and suboxone-directory.com. Give those a shot and hopefully you'll be able to find someone if your doctor still won't budge to meet your needs.

And yes, i agree with you, a person needs to have a doctor who WILL LISTEN TO THEIR UNIQUE NEEDS.

That is exactly why I asked my doctor a few questions on my last visit..to find out what HIS stance was..and I came out of the appointment very pleased with the results. I had been reading horror stories -- just like this one to be exact -- and I wanted to make sure that I wasn't in some sort of money-grubbing game that someone was playing with me..Luckily, I'm not, and I have a good doctor.

With that being said, sometimes it's not always your closest, cheapest option to get a good doctor. I could tell you of the expense incurred with my current doctor, the one I really like..and you'd probably be VERY apt to find one LOTS cheaper. But the key here is I enjoy my doctor, and he's actually a doctor that treats the person as a person, not as a paycheck.

You got to ask yourself what you would go through to get your drug of choice (opiates, oxy, whatever)...and how much you would sacrifice. How FAR would you drive for a handful of pills? Then turn that around and use it in your RECOVERY!! You need to apply the VERY SAME standards (or actually, better standards) to your recovery and treatment. You should be willing to go FARTHER than you were with opiates to get your Suboxone, simply because it's saving your life and making you a better person.

So start searching...there's no hurdle too high to jump when it comes to what it's worth to be clean and sober..so give yourself EVERY opportunity to achieve it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:39 pm 
Y'know hatmaker, I really do appreciate that. You've given me my daily dose of gratitude for the day. For the first time, I am proud to be an American. I am grateful that while I may have to censor myself here on this web forum, I don't have to behave that way in daily life.

It's interesting, because most people feel the OPPOSITE way on the internet; that their anonymity protects them and allows them to speak freely. The only other place I've ever even seen on the net that People have to do that was pro-AA forums that I obviously have no reason to join. It definitely provides an interesting parallel and shows that the attitude of "my (our) way or the highway" approach to addiction recovery is not solely a product of the 12 Step mentality.

Thank you for giving me my daily perspective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Daily life is not a PRIVATE FORUM with rules to abide by. There is no freedom of speech on a private forum. This is not a government forum where they owe you freedom of speech. You need to look up where censorship applies and where it doesn't.

Follow the rules and you won't have any problems. No one else seems to have issues following the rules - only YOU.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

noalibi...why are you even on this site? just to criticize? I.would assume you on sub...do you want to have no say in your recovery? I think not and if you not on sub...get off this board you have no reason to be hear.This is one of the most important things we will deal with in our lives ..gaining sobriety! ! Nobody needs to be personally attacked. We're hear for support...as you can see from the posts her we have enough BS with ppl judging us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

dromano1166 wrote:
noalibi...why are you even on this site? just to criticize? I.would assume you on sub...do you want to have no say in your recovery? I think not and if you not on sub...get off this board you have no reason to be hear.This is one of the most important things we will deal with in our lives ..gaining sobriety! ! Nobody needs to be personally attacked. We're hear for support...as you can see from the posts her we have enough BS with ppl judging us.

NoAlibi was shown the proverbial door shortly after this post (probably this post is what tripped the switch on it), but wound up being a member that was banned in December for personally attacking people about Suboxone, they got banned, and they made a new account - ban evaded - just to come back and do it all again.

I know we're a great bunch of people, but look at what some will go through just to be around us! Ain't it great to know that we're so special that people will get banned, then break the rules and make a new account just to get banned again for the same shit....all within a couple of months. I find it VERY damn "Ironic" if you ask me.

(PSSST... if you look up the user IRONIC then you'll find that that person attacked people too, and got banned. NoAlibi and Ironic are the same person.)

Either we're VERY much loved here and people just want to be around us, or someone has some identity issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:11 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Wow that is just silly that a person would get on here to do that, but that just goes to show there are so many DIFFRENT people out there and some just do not have anything better to do with their time and need to find ways to get out their anger.
I have mastered beating myself up enough; God knows like many others here and do not need someone else doing it for us. Good-bye and good riddance.

However, I am curious about the member who posted the question. Although I truly understand the members point and frustrations with his/her doctor I am a little confused about the rules here as it clearly states; Please avoid bashing doctors in this section. If you give your doc a 'thumbs up' and the practice is accepting patients, list the practice here, by state. Or if you NEED a doc, this is the place to ask for suggestions.
Before even entering the topic forum and so I was taken back a little to see that everyone was ignoring this members behavior which I found very verbally offensive and with a lot of hostility. If I am wrong, I apologize for talking out of line but it seems that the rules should be applied to all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

smithjm wrote:
However, I am curious about the member who posted the question. Although I truly understand the members point and frustrations with his/her doctor I am a little confused about the rules here as it clearly states; Please avoid bashing doctors in this section. If you give your doc a 'thumbs up' and the practice is accepting patients, list the practice here, by state. Or if you NEED a doc, this is the place to ask for suggestions.
Before even entering the topic forum and so I was taken back a little to see that everyone was ignoring this members behavior which I found very verbally offensive and with a lot of hostility. If I am wrong, I apologize for talking out of line but it seems that the rules should be applied to all.

I'm not quite clear on what you're saying, but it sounds like you have a problem with the OP being upset with their doctor and calling said doctor a bitch. The rules in this forum apply to personally attacking EACH OTHER. If you as a member want to come on here and vent and call your doctor, your therapist, or your husband a bitch, that's fine. It does NOT violate the rules of this forum. But coming on here and calling another member a bitch DOES violate the rules.

Did you have a question about that?

Post subject: Doctor is NYC..?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Glen Bee - I am in search of a doctor in nyc. Would you mind PM'ing me who your doctor was.
TY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:02 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

its been awhile since the original post. im still with this same doctor, though weve made quite a bit of progress. she has stopped reducing me, for now anyways. ive made it clear to her that, due to my chronic pain issues, coming of suboxone will land me back on oxys again, or worse, that i would rather stay on sub and have some pain, but it be managable, than be on oxys and f'ed up all the tim. i apologize for my demeanor back then. my doctor believes that once a patient is on sub for too long, it is near impossible to get them off. she said that out of 600 patients, she has only left 9 on permanently, but its strongly considering making me her 10th. i am working two 40 hr a week jobs now, and with my pain, i am best managed by 10 - 12 mgs a day. im down to 6 now, but am hanging in there. she still says i should keep looking for a closer doc, and is supportive of me in her own way i guess. my whole family and both jobs want me to stay on sub, and she now knows this. she just doesnt want me to get too hooked and be stuck if i someday want off. anyone have any ideas about a doc i coulld see?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

[font=Comic Sans MS]Hello subloverforlife, I remember you from a while back, though I was lurking at the time, and not a member so
I sure you don't remember me. I'm glad to see you back, and it is great to hear that your relationship
with your doctor has improved. It sounds like she is at least trying to understand your poistion and work
with you the best way she knows how.

I unfortunately am not from your neck of the woods, so I don't know of any docs up there, I assume you have
already checked naabt.org...

I just wanted to say Welcome Back, and thank you for updating us on how you are doing!! It's nice to see you
back among us, and in better spirits. Take Care~[/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I dont know if you already have these links............

www.naabt.org
has you fill out a bunch of information, and a doctor calls you.

https://www.suboxone.com/patients/opioi ... octor.aspx

This one, lists the doctors for you. sometimes not all the information is completely up to date, but hey its worth a shot.
I definitely feel the same way you do. I know that if I went off completely, it would only be a matter of time,,,,,,,,,probably a small window before I was in the next state, at the pain management center. LOL

I really hope you can find a doctor, if it isnt the one you have now,,,,, that sees things the way you do.
You know, I didnt say anything to my doctor for about 9 months.
then all of a sudden I was horrified by some of the stories of ppl being forced off, so I asked what his plans were for me. He said if Im (when) ready to talk about tapering, he'll help me thru that,
but until then dont fix it if it aint broke!!!!

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:04 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

To totally update, I now have an excellent relationship with the doc I once called a quack. We have found a dosage at 16mgs (4mgs 4x/day) that works best for me and she I s keeping me there indefinately. Still quite a trip, but she knows me well and I trust her. That goes a long way. I was such a hothead back then!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I wasn't a member when you originally posted,as I, unfirtunately was still in the thick of my addictive misery,and had only heard through my many failed recovery attemptsusing twelve step, detox facility, and cold Turkey that was simply replacing one addiction for another. How wrong I was! After lots of reading and desperate prayer, I decided to give it a shot,not even sure that it would work for me. But I just read your entire thread, and am happy and relieved for you that you and your Dr. have come to a resolution that works for your pain and your addiction issues. My doctor says that he never forces anyone off of bupe, which is great, cause after 10 months on, I'm doing amazingly well, with few side effects worth mention. Our last session made me a bit nervous because he did bring up the word taper, but after I told him how uncomfortable I am with that, he assured me that he'd not force me down or off. perhaps asa friend of mine said, he was just testing the waters with me,so to speak. I'm hoping it doesn't come up again though because honestly, I've no interest in, or plans to taper anytime soon, or possibly at all. Things in my life are improving on most fronts, and I'm sober and sane enough to find healthy ways to deal with the rest. Buprenorphine had really worked for me and had been a godsend. It came along at a time in my life after many many years of active addiction. ten years to opioids, cocaine at one point,and alcohol for several years prior to and along with the cocaine. This is a shortened version of my story of course,but you get the idea. bupe erases cravings for all addictive substances for me and for that I'm very grateful. It's amazing to live without the constant obsession to procure, find, and take more and more drugs. That life was exhausting! I hope you've found, and continue to find your experience to be as positive as mine has been.