It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello to all. I think we can all agree on one thing, there is a shortage of suboxone doctors out the. Hopefully when they raise the cap it will help a lot more people. My issue is why are alot of the doctors out there seem to know so very little about suboxone itself. I read where quite a few people taper themselves off. I believe I could teach my doctor some things about suboxone. To me this doesn't seem right. If it wasn't for this forum and the good people on I wouldn't have figured out how to taper. Why do some doctors that are prescribing suboxone seem to know so little about it?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:13 pm 

I think it has to do with the training required in order to prescribe sub. There is a four hour training and then I think there is a four hour chunk of time on the computer. Not exactly extensive, is it? I agree that it's very frustrating to know more about suboxone than the doctors prescribing the medication.

I hope the cap is lifted immediately!!

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:10 pm 

From what ive experienced and from the sub docs i know personally or work with, even the best most careing do not know or have the best understanding of the med in general.
The 8 hour course must be the Basic training. This cant give a good understanding of just how to deal with addicts.
The first thing new docs and old should read is the Users Guide to Suboxone ". Id bet Dr J has tried to teach his understanding of care but do they really listen. Ive told 5 sub docs I know about this e book. Such great basic true information . Three come to my shop and I volunteer with the other and talk about basics. The ceiling effect seems to be confusing.
A True Standard of Care, updated would do wonders for people in treatment.

It seems to be such an unhill battle to get the truth out there. My own dr seems opened minded about new information. But the basics are overlooked.and the addict Patients can and do suffer for it.

For example my dr six months ago admitted that after 12 years hadnt completely taperd one person. Said they have never done it. People are either discharged for a number of reasons or relapse or quit. He was very interested in the liquid taper method and the film cutting guide. So, if it takes Our experiences and knowledge to help some drs then so be it.

Im proud of this forum. I sing is praises in on monthly clinic days and at three support groups . With the drs blessings. Thanks dr j for all you do. ..

So the point is I guess is to talk to your drs every chance you get and see happens. ..

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

You hit the nail on the head razor. I am a little worried that when the cap does get raised doctors will have less time for patients. Let's hope not. Thanks for the answers.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:25 pm 

I have learned more about suboxone from my peers here at this forum. I'd been on sub around two and a half years before I found this place and I wish I'd found it way before then because looking bk, I was honestly clueless about a lot of information about sub. I knew it changed my life and I was extremely happy with it, just wasn't really educated too much on it. Going to my clinic where there's just so many ppl, I haven't developed that personal relationship with my Dr like I would in a different setting. Unfortunately that's just the way it is like spending five minutes going over the same questions after you've been waiting for two hrs to see him. I get irritated and it could be so much better but that's not my call. My counselor is awesome and I love my meetings, but I'm irritated right now with some things. Looking bk, nothing was explained very well to me. I'm so thankful for this place, there's a wealth of information here :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:29 pm 

Well i just returned to work after a quick trip up to my clinic to rreceive my script. Guess what Doc and I talked about? Sub Ed.lol

He agrees that there isnt much time in the clinic setting or really for that matter private time with drs to even talk about jjst what sub is and all that goes with it.
He again had me write on the board the forum address. I think the best way to get this info into others hands to make sure your clinic mates at least get to the forum and Talkzone.
If you have support groups in yojr clinic talk about this place.!
There are many great drs out there, but there just isn't time to educate. Like Jenn said I too was 18 months into my recovery before I found Subforum.
I want to give others starting out a short cut to this forum as well..
The best thing is to talk about us to Any dr or therapist or caseworker ot social worker.
Help them help others..
Hopefully they will believe you. ..and that is another story.....Raz...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks everyone for the nice comments and the plugs for the forum. That's a nice way to start any weekend!

All docs are very difficult to 'educate' after leaving med school. I'm probably like that myself when another doc tries to teach me something. I think it gets back to med school, where everyone is trying to keep up with each other. But that can't explain everything, because medicine is always changing, and for the most part doctors do OK with keeping up with new developments.

I hate to say it, but I think that some docs see patients as 'them', instead of 'us'. I suspect that docs who have been through their own rock bottom(s) see patients as similar to themselves, and the docs who were lucky enough to avoid addiction or other DISEASES see patients as people who aren't as smart as they are. I don't think that any amount of training would get them past that point. Besides, the information is out there, if they really wanted to know more. Or more accurately, the information is in HERE!

I hope that raising the cap-- if it actually happens--- doesn't make the situation worse. The reason I say 'if it happens' is because it could have happened weeks or years ago as an Executive Order. Apparently the current administration is bogged down in the politics of the issue, listening to police departments who are likely telling him about the disastrous possibility of more Suboxone on the streets!!!!! I fear this will be another Keystone Pipeline issue where he announces that we need more time to figure out what to do.... But hopefully I'm wrong about that!