It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: I need induction help!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:23 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I went to a doctor yesterday and the whole place was just so weird. He originally gave me a prescription for the 4mg/1mg strips. The pharmacy didnt have any so he changed it to the 8mg/2mg strips. He didnt say to cut the strips or anything, he explained when to take it but im so nervous to take a whole 8mg strip when he wanted me to take a 4mg strip first. I haven't taken any because I'm so nervous to take too much and the doctor is on vacation so im hoping someone here can help :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:58 am 

Welcome Colorme..
Before you begin, are you in wd? How much was your habit? How loug has it been since your last uses of opiates?
Like more info.
However, if you are in a moderate wd, you can start by taking a small dose .Say 1 to 2 mgs to start. Then adding more if simptoms of wd are still there . Again im just going on the info we have here.
I would not start with 8mgs all at once Color. Go slowly over the next few hours till wd is gone. Then as time gos by find a dose that will keep cravings a bay...sorry so short. Im useing my phone and at work...

Rememnber..you must be in wd to start. And tben go slow...

Razor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:15 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am not in wd just yet. I wanted to wait until to go into wd until i felt safe taking the suboxone, i take 40mg of oxys a day, it doesn't sound like a lot i know but i have a very low tolerance to any type of drugs. I can break a 5mg oxy and take that and feel high which is almost unheard of but my mom is the same way so 40mg is a lot for my body personally. I saw the package says not to cut the strip but i think a lot of people do when they taper down ? Ive been taking oxys for about 7 years straight and I'm 25 years old. I read too many stories online and have mixed feelings with how to go about taking my first dose of suboxone

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:21 pm 

Hey Color :) welcome to the forum.

Ur right about 40mg of oxy being on the lower level as tolerance goes. I'm gonna give u my opinion and just keep in mind that I'm no Dr, just pretty experienced in sub cause I've been on it for a few yrs lol. I personally think 8mg is probably a bit too much for ur tolerance. 4mg may be ok but I'm not sure how much ur body needs. Like razor said, start with 1-2mg then see how u feel. If that doesn't do the trick, then take another 1-2mg after 30 min or so.

You absolutely have to be in withdrawal to start. I don't think that it's fair for a Dr to not do ur induction in the doctors office. That's just unfair to leave u guessing and scared on what to do. Most doctors have their patients wait 24-36 hrs after their last dose of opiate to start suboxone. I had to wait 32hrs. If u don't wait long enough, you'll get sick with precipitated withdrawal, and that's miserable....so make sure u wait.

Yes u can definitely cut ur strips in pieces, that's what we all do pretty much. Just put the remaining strip bk in the package and fold the top over to keep it from getting air.

I just wanted to make sure u know how strong suboxone is. I don't think ppl realize that, so start slow and take it 1mg or 2 at a time. It kinda seems like ur Dr has left u on ur own with this, but u can get it figured out and it'll be worth it. Hope this helped ya a little bit, others will be along to give u more information and advice. Good luck!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:20 pm 

And just remember that you're not going to hurt yourself by initially taking a different amount than what you eventually settle on. I think that doctors take the 8 hour course on how to prescribe suboxone and don't vary much from that model. Now the company that makes sub says to prescribe 8 mg to start, so that's what your doctor told you.

Many of us (and most of us aren't doctors including me) have learned from experience that our dose doesn't need to be as high as what our doctors first prescribed us. I started at 16 mg and easily tapered lower than that. My dose is currently 2 to 3 mg a day. My doctor is A-OK with that, but some doctors are more rigid and want you to comply exactly with their prescribed dose.

Here is the litmus test for knowing you are at the right amount of sub for your daily dose. 1. You do not go into withdrawal before your next dose. 2. You do not have cravings for your drug of choice. So, you need enough to keep you out of withdrawal, but don't need more than what it takes you to keep from withdrawal while still stopping your cravings. Most people find that they need 2 to 8 mg to meet that criteria.

The good news! If you take more sub than you need it's not going to kill you (unless you are combining it with other medications/alcohol that depress respiration). However, you might experience unpleasant side effects like nausea, feeling tired or out of it, feeling impaired, and others. You should know that people often experience a few side effects while their body gets used to the medication. After a couple of weeks they should mostly be gone.

Something else you should know. It is very normal to try to take more suboxone than prescribed to see if it gives you any kind of high. Most of us have tried it at one point or another. Addicts are often psychologically motivated to take more than they need. Part of our brain is telling us that more pills equals feeling really good. It doesn't work though. Taking extra suboxone will only make you have more side effects and a higher tolerance.

So start with 1-2 mg after you are in moderate withdrawal. Do not try taking suboxone until you are in moderate withdrawal or you could feel a very intense withdrawal (precipitated withdrawal). When you are at a good dose you should feel normal, like a non-addict. My doctor had me wait 60 to 72 hours from my last percocet before I came to the office to be inducted on sub. That length of withdrawal was probably excessive. But it made it easy for me to tell when I felt a lot better! I went from feeling pretty miserable to feeling like I could drive myself home (not recommended). I felt normal and well. That's what you should feel when you get to your optimal dose. You will probably need to take at least 3 to 4 mg to achieve feeling well. But everyone is different!! There are people who need 24mg a day, at least initially, to get rid of their cravings, but they usually had a higher tolerance to begin with.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. If you need clarification, no problem! You can do this. :)

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:56 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Jenn & Amy, thank you both SO SO much. I feel more comfortable now since my doctor did just leave me kind on my own. At the time of my visit it had only been 4 hours since i last used Percocet and he was going to have me try the subs there and i stressed it to him that i was not in wd yet and asked if i could come back the next day and he said no just to come back next week which made me feel like uncomfortable knowing i have a whole prescription of suboxone but had to wait a whole week. But i will start with 2mg and see how that works. I worry a lot so ill make sure im in full wd and wait an extra hour or 2 then try it.