It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:24 am 
New Poster
New Poster

My Dr. will no longer be able to see me any longer due to me having Medicare.

Back story:
Last year, I had been paying $360.00 per month to go to my Dr. I got a letter in June informing me that they'd no longer be requiring me to pay for treatment, instead they'd be accepting my Medicare insurance. I was very thrilled because I couldn't afford the treatment but I couldn't not afford it if ya know what I mean? 4 months ago my Dr. informed me that they'd no longer be able to see Medicare patients period, and I couldn't even pay cash because it's apparently against the law or something. I've called every Dr's office I've ever heard about and everyone on the NAABT & Suboxone.com websites. WHAT IN THE HECK am I going to do? No dr's will take money from me but I can't afford it anyways and even the Dr's that do accept Medicare at their offices won't accept it for Suboxone treatment! How can they pick and choose what to accept insurance for, and how is it right that Dr's can't accept cash from me when I'm unable to find one willing to use my Medicare insurance? Please Help!

Located in Knott County Ky

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Brad

Unfortunately i don't have an answer as to what to do but i do know that once someone is on Medicare a doctor who participates in Medicare is obligated by Law to accept the Medicare & can't bill you for anything other than Medicare co-insurance. My guess is that Medicare doesn't pay much for suboxone visits & that is why the doctor has chosen to stop seeing Medicare patients for suboxone. The only thing i can think of is for you to find a sub doc that accepts NO insurance & pay out of pocket again. The only other option is to find a doctor that does NOT participate in Medicare (which are very few if any) & you would pay out of pocket but could submit the charge to medicare yourself & possibly get some reimbursement. Your current doctor only has to give you 1 month of suboxone when he discharges you as a patient.

My doctor accepts NO insurance & I pay cash every month. Perhaps you can find a doctor that only takes cash. I know it stinks but it would be worse to be cut off.

Tiki