It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:47 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I am an active duty soldier, and I am home on leave. I have been self medicating and injury I sustained as a direct result of my job. 4 times in 15 days with 30mg of oxy. one time with an 8g "stop sign" suboxone. My question is can the military detect suboxone and if so how long does it take to get out of my system, and what can I do to expedite the process. please help asap. thanks to all who help me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi, first I would like to thank you for your service to our country. I can not answer your question with absolute certainty but I do not believe the military tests for sub. Sub does not show on a standard opiate test and a specific test has to be given to detect it. I have read about other service men on sub that have had no problems but again I can't guarantee that. I don't think anyone can.

There are others here that know more about how long sub stays in your system so I will let them answer that part. Sub does have a very long half life but with only taking it once I wouldn't think it would stay too long. The best advice I can give you is to drink a ton of water, I don't know if it will help much but it couldn't hurt.

I do have a question, did you take the whole 8mg sub at once? If so did you swallow it or let it dissolve under your tongue? I ask because if you swallowed it, it did nothing and was not absorbed. If you let it dissolve, did you get sick? A non addict, opiate naive person should not be able to take 8mg of sub. It is a very strong med.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

When I quit Suboxone I tested my urine with some 200ng/mL test strips.....pretty standard test, as far as I'm aware. I was showing negative for Buprenorphine (the active ingredient in Suboxone) after 3 or 4 days. I got a weak negative on day 3 and an immediate and strong negative on day 4.

Breezy is right, if you know you're dirty for Suboxone and have to take your urine screen today, you can always drink lots of water. You should be peeing almost clear (no yellow), BUT many labs are quite aware of this technique to pass a drug test and will reject a urine sample that is almost clear. So, go get yourself some Total cereal too, Total cereal will make your urine VERY yellow again.

Good luck and I thank you for your service to our country as well.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello anonymous soldier and welcome to the forum. You've already received some excellent advice from the above posters.

My resources say the same thing that Romeo offered-that bupe will remain in your system for 2-4 days. The source I got this from bases their numbers on taking it ONE TIME and not being a regular user.

Here's more on drug testing for bupe (suboxone/subutex)

Quote:
Buprenorphine may not cause a positive result in a standard opiate urine test. Many opiate tests test only for morphine (which both codeine and heroin break down into). This is true for both home/business kits and laboratory testing. Because buprenorphine does not break down into morphine, it is therefore not detected by these tests.

Home and laboratory testing is available that will detect buprenorphine. Test results depend on the specific test that is used and whether or not laboratory verification is required. When drug testing is being conducted on known opioid users, specific buprenorphine testing is sometimes used to verify that it is not being used.

Lastly, also thanks for your service to our nation.
~From an Army vet.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:10 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

AnonymousSoldier wrote:
I am an active duty soldier, and I am home on leave. I have been self medicating and injury I sustained as a direct result of my job. 4 times in 15 days with 30mg of oxy. one time with an 8g "stop sign" suboxone. My question is can the military detect suboxone and if so how long does it take to get out of my system, and what can I do to expedite the process. please help asap. thanks to all who help me

Hey ASoldier,

I just got out of the Air Force a couple years ago. Unfortunately I actually had to do piss duty every 6 months(report to the clinic an watch folks piss in cups) but I did learn alot about the military and DOD testing requirements.

The military isn't testing folks for Suboxone yet so your good to go. Even once the military starts to notice Suboxone abuse than it could be another 1-3 years for them to update their drug test kit contracts and make suppliers include Suboxone testing. Our thrifty government is already paying about $90/per drug test when they can be done for less than $5 bucks.

95% of the time, the general military is only tested for the 4 most abused illegal substances, cocaine, THC, Xtsy, meth.

The DOD came to the conclusion long ago that testing for everything would be far too time consuming and costly. Think of how many folks in the military are prescribed pain medication, valium, xanax, etc..If someone was prescribed a prescription pill that said "take as needed" then a month later they failed a drug test, they couldn't necessarily prove you took another drug. They could say "your suppose to tell your supervisor or shop chief if you take something like that" You respond "so I was suppose to call my flight chief at 3am and tell him I'm took something that was prescribed to me for the problem???" I'm sure you get what I'm saying. It's just not feasible for them to pull the medical prescription records to verify everytime someone fails for a prescription drug.

The Air Force doesn't even take the time to ask about prescription use. You just get a random call to report to the clinic, walk in, verify your info, piss, leave. Just stay away from the 4 flags Coke,THC, Xtsy, and Meth and you'll be good to go. Don't take adderrall or you'll obviously be dirty for meth for about 24-48hrs.. Best of luck to you!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for the info! We've had this question asked a few times and although I didn't think the military tested for sub, I couldn't say for sure. It's great to have an answer from someone that has experience.

Post subject: Help
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:12 am 
New Poster
New Poster

The responses here have been very informative. I have one more detail to ask. I have been prescribed Suboxone for 2 months, and have been way under my dose specified by my doctor. I am prescribed 4mg a day, but I only take it if I absolutely HAVE to [which has been 2-4mg 3-4 days a week. sometimes I use it a couple days in a row, sometimes if I feel good and keep busy, I can go 2-3 days w/o] I try to spread it out as much as possible so my body can adapt to the normal world again.

I am currently attempting to enlist. I go to MEPS in a few days where I will take a drug screen. I understand suboxone will not show up as an opiate, but since suboxone has gotten more popular as a street drug, could they now be testing for it? And if for some reason I got a false positive for ANYTHING and it got sent to the lab for GS/MS, would they see that I had suboxone in my system? - Or would that have to specifically be looking for it? Am I correct saying that MEPS would have the most intricate drug testing? - more so that those who are already in the military? You can not join the military (at least the Marine Corps) if you have ever been in in-patient drug/alcohol rehab, or out-patient drug rehab, so in no way can I inquire with my recruiter.

I know this sounds dumb, but I want to take a suboxone the night before my drug test. I want to do this because I took 3 -$30 at home drug tests for THC. First one I did not take a suboxone for 7 days and tested positive for THC. It has been 50 days since I was last near/around marijuana. On the second test, I had suboxone the day before, and my test showed a dark Negative line. On the final test, I had not taken suboxone for 2 days, took the test again, and it was a very very very faint line indicating negative, but it was right on the brink. Because of this experiment, I believe being off the suboxone and being in full blown WDs increased my metabolism, excreting more THC out from my fat cells to my urine. Could this be possible? Or were my tests just bad tests? I was astonished that I tested positive for THC my first go-around, being that it had been so long since I had used the substance. I feel like being on suboxone has made the THC stay in my system longer. It makes sense, being that THC is excreted through the urine, and while on suboxone, I only urinate 2 times a day, and exponentially more when I am not on it. It's crazy too because I live in Colorado where Marijuana is now legal for recreational use, right when I can't even be in the same room as a person using it in fear of breathing any of it in. I find myself sitting outside on the porch by myself quite often.

-Please help, I am quite nervous and am at the point where I will either need to abstain from my dose this morning, or to go ahead and take it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:07 pm 

I am so sorry that this situation is causing you so much anxiety! I am also sorry that I don't have any information for you on drug tests. I can certainly understand why you want to take the suboxone to possibly mask any THC, but I'm not sure if they've started to test for suboxone among the other opiates. I hope someone else comes along soon who can give you a definitive answer.

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:53 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Can anyone please verify if the above information is still correct for 2013? I will be taking a drug test for the AF in about 4 days, and I am really nervous about suboxone showing up. If anyone can please update the information ASAP it would be much appreciated. Thank you all very much!

Post subject: What Happened
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:40 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I definitely had subs in my system. I took 1/4 the night before and 1/4 in the morning. I drank a SHITLOAD of water that night and when I woke up in the morning. Nothing happened. This makes it a very UNscientific experiment, because I don't know if I diluted too much for it to be detected, or if they just didn't test at all. I really don't think they do test for it, but you might as well drink a bunch of water just in case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:15 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you for your service.

My son is in the military. Do not quote me on this, however about 3 months ago he had his wisdom teeth removed and had dry sockets. He took a lot of pain medicine. He took some on Friday, when he showed up for drill Saturday morning they surprised everyone when they arrived with a surprise drug test. He called and texted me that night freaking out. We told hiim he had a prescription and he should be fine.

However, nothing was ever said and he passed the test. From what he told me, he understands that they only test for illegal medications. THC, cocaine, meth etc.

Also if you decide to drink a ton of water, take a couple of multi-vitamins a few hours before, it will also help to darken your urine.

Good luck and don't stress too much. I could be wrong, but I think you will be fine.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:09 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I know this thread is old but I feel the need to update one of the misconceptions..
YES, the military does test for opiates when they conduct drug screenings! How do I know? I was generally discharged (under honorable conditions) from the Army for having Oxy in my system in December of 2010.
As far as testing for Bupe... I'm not too sure, but I have done numerous home drug tests while on Suboxone and it's always come up negative for opiates, for whatever that's worth.