It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi everyone. Just a short summary of my treatment. I've been on Suboxone for about 3 years. I started at 6mg a day and made my way down to 2mg in the first 1.5 years or so. I never really had more than a couple days of feeling kinda rough with each drop. I've been sitting at 2mg for the last year and haven't really attempted to go down any further. It's been my maintenance dose and I've been fine on it.

So last week I found out that we are moving in 6 weeks to a country that doesn't have the option to complete treatment. While I wish I had a bit longer to complete the taper, I'm using this as my motivation to get off the drug once and for all. I haven't thought about using in years, no cravings etc. Prior I was taking about 120 - 150mg of my DOC. Glad to be done with that chapter in my life.

So now I just really need some advice on how I can complete the taper in a short period of time like this. If I had it my way, I'd probably go down .25 every 4 weeks until I was off, but that's not gonna work. I've already asked my doc if they could prescribe me more on my last appointment so I could spread out my taper, and they said no. So I've got 21 2mg films left and I'll get 28 more on August 12th. Then I lose my insurance and move away. I'm expecting discomfort, but I want to try and minimize it as much as I can. My worst symptom has always been RLS and insomnia.

Should I just cut from 2mg to 1mg and then spend the last month going down .25 a week? Or should I just make the jump from 2 and get it over with while I'm in the comfort of my own home? I was prescribed Zanaflex and clonodine to help with discomfort. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

cstby, I'm on day 16 off subutex after being on it for almost 7 years and I've been doing well off a quick taper. I went from about 4mg to 0.1 in a few weeks and while the first few days off were a bit rough, it has been so much easier than I thought it would be. If you haven't had many problems dropping your dose then you should be able to go from 2mg to 1mg quite easily. After that you can maybe cut it down by 0.25 every 5-7 days and level out at 0.25mg or lower for a few weeks before you jump. This will make it to where you get most of your w/d out of the way while you're still on the sub and it will be a softer landing once you come off. I'm no doctor or expert, just speaking from my experience. If you're truly ready to jump then the w/d should be surprisingly light.

Also, a change of venue will be a godsend! Moving to a different country will make it so much easier to take your focus off the w/d because there's so much new stimuli to keep your mind occupied. I've known that addicts have an easier time coming clean when they move out of their comfort zone. Perhaps this will be a great thing for you! Good luck =)

Post subject: Short Taper
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you! I'm glad to hear that you were able to come down from 4mg with minimal discomfort. That's great things are going well for you, and exactly what I needed to hear. The anxiety of lowering my dose is probably the worst part. I've had a habit of just staying in my comfort zone and not wanting to move from 2mg because of my fear of w/d. Really getting down to 2mg was a piece of cake, and I only had about 4 days each time where I felt "off". I know the ceiling is probably around there though, so this will be my first drop where my receptors aren't fully saturated. At least that's my understanding of it.

I think the move will be great for me, I'm just hoping I get the worst of it over with by the time I move. I'm looking forward to exploring a new place and I'd love to be feeling good while I do so. I'll try the drop to 1mg tomorrow morning and report back in a couple days.

Thanks again!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:45 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

You can see where I am at after dropping at .25. Overall I found the fall down to that amount pretty easy and held it for just a while before jumping. The hard stuff was days 2-8 but every day in most ways gets better. I am we'll past the acute but still sweat a little at odd times. Around 11am just sitting and can happen any time till about 5 pm. But this is nothing more than an annoyance. Then at night I am still getting RLS. When its real bad I still take a diazepam but otherwise lots of working out and baths help. This is day 19!
I wanted to add the drop from 2 to 1 was a piece of cake for me and I nearly did it in one fell swoop. i might suggest giving it a go then start ur taper from there. If you are trying to get it all done before you leave I would give at least 2 weeks to your recovery although 3 is probably better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey cstby,

Welcome to the forum!!

In addition to the great advice you've already got, I wanted to add that I don't think your wd will be all that bad because you've already been on a fairly low dose of Suboxone for a good while. Also, the fact that you dropped from 6mg to 2mg without too much discomfort should be an indicator that your wd will be mild.

BTW, I believe you're already well under the ceiling dose of Suboxone and have been for quite some time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey everyone, thanks for the kind words and encouragement. I decided to just skip my 1mg dose this morning and see how far I can get with cutting CT. I am prepared to go back up to 1mg if this doesn't go as planned, but I'm going to try and hold out as long as I can. I've never been good at tapering, I've been procrastinating for the past year to go below 2mg, and I don't want to get to the point where I'm a few days away from leaving and I'm still on a "high" dose. I'm at about 30 hours so far, so it's probably not long enough to tell how this is really gonna go. I didn't sleep last night because of anxiety about it, so I'm already down one night. I've got the motivation to go through with this for the first time since I started my treatment. Wish me luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:26 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Decided to play tough guy:). I think you will make it! Once the decision has been made I think the real quitter quits. As far out as you are from leaving I also think you will make some descent recover by that point as well. Workout often, eat well, and keep as active in general as you can.

Finally stay on the forum, express yourself and listen to everyone. I have found this helps me a bunch and keeps me focused on the long term goal. To be clean of opiates and the hook they have created in your life. I am just one opinion and other's will chime in.

Post subject: Day 2
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey everyone. I'm about 52 hours in since my last dose. My pupils aren't pinpoints for the first time in years, and I'm feeling decent. Not sure how much longer I'll have until this peaks, but if it doesn't get much worse then I think I'm going to be able to get through this without a taper. I've had a bit of restless legs and just a general feeling of "blah", and my sleep has been messed up. I think I slept about 4 hours last night. I've taken a clonodine and that let me sleep for a bit last night. I'll check in later to update.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think the fact that it's day 2 and your wd's aren't too bad is a great sign. I'm going to guess your wd's may intensify slightly over the next day or two, but nothing you won't be able to handle.

Hang in there and keep us updated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

While they have slightly intensified as the day has gone on, I'm still doing okay. The mental drain has been the biggest thing. Keeping up with work has been a bit of a challenge but I'm working through it. I'm hoping things will start looking better after the weekend and I can put this all behind me. Does anyone have any experience with using Narcan (Naloxone) after the withdrawals are over? I haven't done much research yet, but I'm wondering if it will help with mood and depression if I experience PAWS once I'm through the acute symptoms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm not aware of anyone who has used Naloxone to help them through their recovery, but I have heard of a few who used Naltrexone. If I remember correctly, some people did feel better on Naltrexone?

Naloxone is used primarily in OD situations. Naloxone aids in reversing the symptoms of OD, but I think it has a pretty short half life?

Naltrexone is usually used as a daily med or an injectable pellet kinda thingy to prevent opiate addicts from getting high if they do try and use. Naltrexone has a high affinity for the opiate receptor, preventing most opiates from occupying the receptor and has a longer half life.

Neither Naloxone nor Naltrexone stimulate the opiate receptor, they simply occupy the receptor. That's my understanding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:46 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey Romeo, you're right. That's the medication I was looking for. I was wondering if it would even be worth going to my next doctors appointment so I could ask for something like that. I have no cravings at all, and I have no intentions (or sources) for using again, but if it will help with depression and PAWS, I don't know if it would be worth looking into.

Anyway, day 3 almost 80 hours in. I feel slightly better today. I slept about 6.5 hours last night and I don't have RLS anymore. Some digestive issues just started, but nothing that Pepto won't take care of. Feeling pretty good about this, hopefully it continues subsiding.

Post subject: Day 5
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:01 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well, it's day 5 already. I don't feel any withdrawal anymore. My RLS is gone, my mood is getting better, and I have a decent bit of energy during the day. The only problem I have is with sleep. I'm not able to sleep for more than 4-5 hours a night. I'm sure this will improve with time, but it's been really annoying. I wake up from the slightest noise and it takes me forever to actually fall asleep. I've been taking ZzzQuil which usually knocks me out in the first hour, but it doesn't keep my asleep. Clonodine isn't really helping either. The doctor gave me Zanaflex months ago for some sleep problems I was having, so I may try that tonight and see if it helps at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow cstby, I thnk that's awesome you are doing so well at this point. I just began a new thread here trying to get off 2mg myself. I jumped from there several times and had to go right back on it due to symptoms being so severe. I see you jumped from a dose of 1mg and maybe that's what I should try? I asked for taper help to go lower than 2mg thinking that's what I needed to do.

You seem to be doing awesome at day 5 after your jump. The RLS, lack of sleep, and my angry mood was also an issue when I jumped from the 2mg dose. Maybe cutting my dose in half like you did and going for it is the answer?

I will follow your progress and see how you day each day as you continue without the sub. Thanks for posting so others like me can follow.

I wish you the absolutel best!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey Brown Eyed Girl, I actually jumped from 2mg. I've never been good with tapering, so I decided to just give it a go to see how bad the w/d would be. The first two days were the hardest for me, but it has gotten better every day. I'm on day 6 now, and while my sleep is still the biggest problem, I'm dealing with it as best I can.

The other w/d have come and gone without too much trouble. I walked a mile everyday just to keep myself moving. That helped a lot. The RLS and stomach issues are gone, so are the aches and pains and general blah feeling. I slept 2 hours last night and it was a struggle to fall asleep. I tried the zanaflex instead of the clonodine last night, but it didn't work at all. I wasn't able to sleep until I took some Zzzquil. Once my sleep gets back on track, I think I'll be good to go.

If you think tapering would work better for you, I'd jump down to 1mg or 1.5 and see how it goes after 2 or three days. If you need to go back up to 1.75, you still have the option. The slow taper seems to work best for some people, I just don't think it would have worked for me.

Hang in there and good luck with everything. I'll keep you posted on my progress!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sure is nice to see you doing so well cstby. I think everyone needs to hear the success stories of others like yourself that are trying so hard to get off the Suboxone and bupe in general. I know I do for sure!

I tried jumping several times from 2mg and had to get right back on it. The symptoms were horrible. I can actually deal and handle with quite a bit of misery, but these symptoms were just too much. I felt totally defeated each time I jumped and had to reesume taking the sub again.

I had no choice but to try and taper lower. Made my very first dose reduction this morning reducing by .063mg from the 2mg. So far it's been ok. A few small symptoms, but I really think this is such a mental thing and can be overcome with lots of positive thinking. That's my game plan for now anyway.....tapering by .063mg every 4-7 days and see what happens.

So happy I found this site. Looks like lots of members here with so much knowledge and experience all willing to help such as yourself. I know that lack of sleep can really wreck havoc with your lifestyle and start each day off struggling. My friend suggested to me to take some Melatonin and some Sleepy Time Tea together about half an hour before bedtime. Both are natural supplements and it really did work quite well. I take 2 of the 3mg Melatonin tablets along with the tea and I was able to get 4-6 hours of uninterrupted sleep each night which is actually quite a bit. I could always get to sleep fast, but would wake up every 2 hours all through the night. The Melatonin and Tea made the difference. Might be worth checking out if you are so inclined?

Awesome job getting to day 6 cstby. Keep right on adding up the days. I hope you continue to post your progress. I will keep looking for you to post from now on. You are certainly an inspiration to me. I wish you the very best!

Karen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey cstby,

Glad to hear you're feeling so much better already, that's awesome. Be patient with yourself and your sleep. Sleep is usually one of the last things to return to normal after wd.

Hi Brown Eyed Girl, if you're still have trouble with your taper, you might want to try tapering with a daily schedule like this. 2mg, 1.75mg, 1.75mg, 2mg, 1.75mg, 1.75mg, 1.75mg, 1.75mg.

Then when you're ready, 1.75mg, 1.5mg, 1.5mg, 1.75mg, 1.5mg, 1.5mg, 1.5mg.

A lot of people have found success tapering this way.

cstby gave you some good advice about staying busy during your wd. Sitting around doing nothing is the worst thing you can do during wd, try to keep your mind and body busy, it does help.

Post subject: Day 8
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Definitely staying busy has been the best way to power through it and keep myself motivated. I get out as much as I can and walk, ride a bike, or hang out with friends just to get my mind off it. I've also been extremely busy with work and preparing for the move, so I haven't had the time to really even think about it.

The ONLY issue that has been consistent is the sleep thing. But as Romeo said, it will get back to normal after some time. I did go to the doctor and was prescribed Trazodone to help with falling and staying asleep, and last night I was able to get 8 hours. I plan to use it for the next week or so and then try to sleep without it and see where I am. Last thing I need is a pill to fall asleep with all the time.

It's day 8 and I'm feeling good. Hope things continue to get better every day!

Post subject: Day 9
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I honestly can't believe it's already been 9 days since my last dose. It feels like just yesterday I was talking about skipping a day to see how it would go.. well it's been great! My mind is clear, I have a ton of energy, and I'm being way more active than I ever was when I was on my 2mg dose of Suboxone. Today, I'm flushing my remaining 20 strips down the toilet and canceling my next follow up.

As for the sleep, it's getting way better every night. Hopefully it continues in that direction. I didn't take anything last night and I was able to sleep just under 7 hours. My stomach is still a bit off, but I'm not too concerned about it. I'm sure that will continue to get better everyday as well.

Thank you to everyone that has followed my progress. I'll continue to update.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Completely AWESOME post cstby!!! Congratulations on 9 days clean!!! WOW....how cool is that!!! I love reading these POSITIVE posts and you are such an inspiration to me!!! I'm so proud of you and you should be extremely proud of yourself!!!

You put in all the hard work and now it's paying off for you. Gives me something to look forward to and keeps me motivated to follow in your tracks. I will continue to taper, but I can't hardly even imagine saying I have 9 days clean.

I know it will be hard to flush those remaining strips, but bet it's exciting at the same time!!! Wooo Hoooo!!!!!

Thanks for that update. I hope you continue to provide us with more positive posts like this one.

Karen
xoxo