It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Need help with pharmacy
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:15 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Not sure if this is the best place to post this so excuse me if it's not. I recently switched from suboxone to Zubsolv due to insurance. The zubsolv is not working for me I think I sound crazy but truly feel like I am loosing it. Constant headache, tummy issues, restless legs I feel like I am withdrawing which can't be right maybe it's in my head. I tried taking more I tried taking less it just doesn't help. I took so much I will run out early I could try and split what I have left until I think I can fill again but am struggling so much I just want to be back on suboxone. I was doing really well and was thinking I could taper and feel like this month just screwed everything. Regardless I'm seeing my dr tomorrow I'm a week early and I think my dr will switch me back to suboxone but am scared I won't be able to fill at the ph. Does anyone know if you switch meds can you fill early?

Thank you for your thoughts.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Luvmythree,
Great name! Welcome here. Sorry this is happening to you. I'm not a pharm but in my experience, unless the script is an INCREASE above the prior one, Its unlikely to be filled early. An increase could maybe justify a change in fill date, IDK. We don't have many here yet on Zubzolv. AMY, a mod here is on it bc of her insurance as are a few others. Zubzolv and Bunavail are working hard to be the option of choice at large insurance companies so we're starting to see more here on them. What is your dose/day? can you make it till next regular fill date? Best tonight, P

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If you explain to the doctor what has happened with the Zubsolv, then he can call the pharmacy and authorize early fill.
What'll probably need to happen is this: Doc calls pharmacy, tell them to modify the daily dosing of the Zubsolv prescription to be like 4/daily or so, that will make it so that the daily amount is less than a month. Then you can bring in the new prescription of Suboxone and fill it.

But only a doctor can modify the script you're currently "under"..or supposed to be taking right now.
Technically you should still have Zubsolv to take for another week...depending on the dosage.
If the doctor writes you a prescription of Zubsolv at 1 film twice a day...giving you 60 total a month, then he can call them up and say modify that script to be 1 film 4 times a day...which would make it where you only have 15 day supply versus the original 30 day supply.
Then, you bring in the new Suboxone script that has whatever dosage.

It is possible to do it, specifically for insurance purposes. In my travels, I have been in this spot, except not changing meds. Just took too much and had to have mine filled early.

By law, you can refill a prescription 2-3 days early when it's controlled ...
But it all depends on the pharmacy. The last time I used a big "chain" pharmacy, I was leaving on vacation and my Suboxone fill date fell on the day I would be already out of town.
So my option were to either a)transfer the script to some pharmacy once I got to another state -- which may or may not work from what I've been told. They don't have to transfer across states...in-state it can be done 1 time if you have refills. After 1st transfer it can't be transferred again...
Or b)request my prescription 3 days early so that I wouldn't be on vacation and run out of meds.
We would've been gone for 10 days. So they wouldn't fill my meds 3 days early ..and I wouldn't have enough to last until I got back home...and if I transferred and it was successful, then I would still have a refill left but it would've been stuck in Louisiana...which meant I would have to travel to LA to get the last refill...or call the doctor and cancel that script altogether.
OR...the last resort...change pharmacies. That's what I did and I have been with the pharmacy for like 4 years now.
If I have an issue like this ...they don't have a problem filling it for me. It's only happened once since I changed...2 years later I was on vacation when my meds were due to be filled. Not even a word when I said "i'm leaving so I need to get my Sub before I leave town"..

CVS never has been my favorite anyway. What sucks is that our insurance on pharmacy is through Caremark, which is CVS...
But I can use any pharmacy I want...

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 1:16 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for the feedback. I wanted to share an update just in case anyone else finds themselves in a similar situation.

I went to my dr he happily switched me back to suboxone said everyone is different so it's not me being crazy. Went to the pharmacy prepared to have them call my dr,etc but they just filled it. The gal there did ask if I switched meds I told her yes the zubsolv wasn't working and she said ok.

Not sure if it is a fluke or what but it worked for me just happy I can go back to the med I know works instantly I felt relief and my anxiety was lessened.

Not sure if this matters but I do go to a local independent pharmacy they are the best and treat people like people not numbers.

Have a blessed holiday and thank you again for the support and replies.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I appreciate you sharing 'the rest of the story', and hope you stick around and help others.

Laws about refills differ from one state to another. Someone recently emailed me and said his state requires schedule II and III meds to be filled at 30 days or more. In Wisconsin, patients on medicaid face a number of restrictions. They are not allowed to take buprenorphine, for example, unless pregnant. The state will not pay for plain buprenorphine, and pharmacies are not allowed to dispense it for cash payments by people with medicaid. Also, every six months patients on Medicaid must have a 'PA' or prior authorization to get Suboxone Film or any other buprenorphine/naloxone med. The patient is allowed exactly 6 months of medication every 6 months-- period. So if a person fills one day early each month, he/she will have to wait 6 days, with no medication, before the state will allow another refill-- and again, pharmacies are not allowed to sell a day or two of medication for cash.

I try to tell all new patients about this rule, but it still happens now and then. I had a pregnany patient who filled 3 days early each month; she had to wait 21 days with no medication! I made many calls to the state, and also begged pharmacists to help-- but nobody would risk getting in trouble.

The original poster wrote that maybe the symptoms from Zubsolv were psychological... I love to read that, as it suggests that you are keeping an open mind. Too often people hold on to beliefs even when the beliefs clearly cannot be supported by sciece. I don't know what happened in this case; it may hve been a different pattern of absorption with Zubsolv, or maybe a reaction to the filler. After all, once in your body buprenorphine is buprenorphine, and your brain has no idea how it got there!

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I guess it proves that even with the intricacies of pharmacology ...there is still a certain amount of 'just common sense' that has to be used to balance it out.
It does make sense that the brain can't say "oh, this particular dose of buprenorphine is named Suboxone film and was taken sublingually"....

I remember when I was taking the Suboxone 8mg/2mg pill form, I am convinced that psychologically I was able to convince myself I was actually having symptoms of w/d after only a few hours. Back when I wasn't all to serious about taking it correctly, and before I learned exactly what it does and how it works.. I had a period where our jobs were impacted by the economy, so we had nothing coming in except WARN and unemployment.. and it was extremely hard to purchase my meds. I was forced to buy my Sub in 1-2-3 day increments. Some days I would by 5..other days I would buy 10...
But if I took my last Sub early in the morning, by that evening I had convinced myself that I felt bad...and that would continue until I got to the pharmacy and got more.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:03 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I had a problem trying to switch you zubsolv myself. It's like it threw my brain chemistry out of whack. I was doing well with film, almost suicidal oon zubsolv. Most would say it was in my head, it definitely was not.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:32 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Luvmythree, I don’t think they will allow early refill. Your situation if fully understood by doctor, there are chances he may authorize the fills. Hope you find help...

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

raun cesar wrote:
Hi Luvmythree, I don’t think they will allow early refill. Your situation if fully understood by doctor, there are chances he may authorize the fills. Hope you find help...

The replies include one from the original poster which says this:

Quote:
Went to the pharmacy prepared to have them call my dr,etc but they just filled it. The gal there did ask if I switched meds I told her yes the zubsolv wasn't working and she said ok.

So, problem solved.