It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello all!! I'm new here with the exception of lurking for the last couple months.

Background:

I was perscribed vicodin for about a year then upgraded to percocets via drs. I have multiple herniations in my lumbar and cervical spine, along with spinal canal stenosis. So yeah, i have alot of back pain. I became tolerant to both meds very quickly and with no help from my drs regarding tolerance i started to self medicate and eventually started taking 30mgs of oxycodone hydrochloride (roxys) that i was buying off the streets.

I tried to quit a couple times with no success. Withdrawls suck heinously!! I did my research and found suboxone to be too scary to try due to it's extremely addicting nature. So, in my mind suboxone was not an option. I tried weaning myself off of percs and vics which didn't pan out well because my body enjoyed the high i got when taking them.

Anyways, i went to my pain management dr and asked for her help getting me off opioids. And she sent me to another pain management dr specializing in suboxone treatment. After informing this new dr of my situation and telling him that i didn't want to be perscribed suboxone because i was DONE with opioids. He still perscribed them anyways.

To my surprise the subs worked great with the withdrawls and boy am i greatful for that. But what i dont appreciate is my dr wanting me to be on these for 6 months. Trading one addiction for another was never in my plan to get off of those horrible pills. So a little under a week on 16 mgs of suboxone i started to taper. I started my taper on a thursday and by the following wed i had stopped taking suboxone altogether i jumped at 1 mg. I was on suboxone for about 8 days total.

The first 3 days off suboxone were easy-peasy, mild withdrawls-hot & cold sweats, yawning, diahrea, teary eyes, sneezing and lethargy, oh and i was always streatching like you do when u wake in the morning. All bearable compared to cold-turkeying the pills. Today i experienced severe abdominal cramping/pain which advil took care of. Last couple days i've been having issues sleeping.

I've not taken a strip of suboxone in 6 days. I am here to ask for help with the lethargy as the topic states. How long will i be this lazy and tired? I hate this lack of motivation. Is there anything i can do to get my motivation back?

I have a daughter, 3 highly active dogs, a house to maintain, i bowl 2-3 times a week and am a very active and social person. Except lately, not so social or active. I just spent the last 5 days away from home on a mini vacation where i didnt want to do anything but lay in bed and be lazy all day. I need that laziness to end and end now.

What did ya'll do to combat the lethargy? What worked best for you? Are there any vitamins i can take to get my motivation back until it comes back natually?

Thank you all in advance for your time and help. And good luck to all of you on your sobriety. May the force be with you!

Globie :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi,

You can take B-12 for energy, try to eat well etc and im sure others have suggestions for energy but in my opinion, really the only thing that will help is time. Your receptors need to learn how to work properly again and while thy do that, you will feel a little tired or worse. At least you didn't have to go thru full blown withdrawal! I hope it works out and you get your mojo back soon! You WILL get better if you stick to it, remember that.

Good luck,

Glen b

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:11 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Glen b,

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your response. Per your wonderful suggestion I'll be picking up some B-12 tomorrow.

Thank you again, gentle soul.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Globie and welcome to the forum. I'm glad you found us and hope you stick around.

Please keep in mind that suboxone is not trading one addiction for another. I respect your decision to use it for short term detox only, but that's only one way to use it and maintenance is a legitimate use for it (many of us here are on long term maintenance). We are dependent on it, not addicted. There is a very big difference.

You didn't say how long you were on regular opiates (not suboxone), but that's what you're suffering withdrawals from. You used suboxone to taper off your DOC and weren't on sub long enough for it to stack in your system, so you're likely experiencing what's left of acute withdrawals and/or post-acute withdrawals from your prior use of your DOC.

PAWS comes from the combined years of use of ALL the opiates we used. Remember that. You're not going to suffer horrible withdrawals (acute or PAWS) from 8 days of suboxone use.

I just wanted to clarify that - or my opinion of that.

One thing that will make you feel better is EXERCISE. It releases your natural endorphins and that's exactly what you need. And stay as busy and active as you can. The more you are inactive, the worse you'll feel.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you're feeling. :)

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ahhh, gottcha Hatmaker!! Thanks for clarifying. And thanks for the education. The more you know...

I dunno why i left my length of use out of the story (sorry about that) but i was on them for about 2 yrs after it stopped becoming an 'as needed' medication to 'i can't get out of bed without first taking my meds" routine. Before then i used them off and on (when the pain called for it) for well under a year.

Another question for the forum that i have is; since it's been 2 weeks since i last took a painkiller am i over the hump? Or is this just the beginning?

Thanks for your help and responses!!!

Oh and another question I have is that if i take just a teeny tiny bit of suboxone (like say .25 mg) to help with whatever withdrawl i have, will it negate the progress i've made being completely off opiates these past 7 days?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

People will respond differently to your question. Personally, I think if you take the absolute lowest dose of sub possible, like a tiny sliver only, it will make you feel better and won't really set you back. You could do that every so often if you get too bad. Consider it finishing off your taper if you'd like.

If you choose to do it once only, I don't think it would set you back. But I wouldn't take as much as .25, you would probably feel better on much lower than that.

As to whether you're over the hump, you're the best person to determine that. How bad are your withdrawals? Did you pass the worst of them? You know what your worst symptoms are (we are each unique in that way) and if they've subsided. You might want to look up PAWS - post-acute withdrawals syndrome. You could be easing your way into that already, or just ending your acute stage.

Do you have access to a doctor who might be able to prescribe you some clonidine? It's a BP med that's often used to treat opiate withdrawals. It's not addictive and should make you feel much better. Just a thought.

You're quite welcome for the info. My pleasure. :)

Feel better soon. I think you're doing great.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Alrighty, the worst of it so far is the abdominal cramping. For most of the morning yesterday i was in fetal position groaning in pain. But 800mgs of advil/ibuprophin took care of the pain for a while. Second worst is the lack of sleep which is something I'm all too familiar with, thanks to the opiates...so, is it rly a problem?... Yes and no. Yes cuz i'm obviously lethargic (thus the op) but caffene is helping motivate me to do things, very limited things, but atleast it gets me off my bed/couch. When the advil stops working, the abdominal cramps bring me to my knees. I'm about to head to the store and pick up some Imodium, maybe even some fiber and def multivitamins.

I just took a nice long bath and if you took away the abdominal pain and mild cold sweats and lack of energy (which i'm not experiencing at this moment, thank you red bull) i'd feel fairly fine/bordering on normal. Should things get way worse i'll not hesitate to take a tiny strip of sub. I dont want to take it, cuz i've come this far and knowing me, just that teensy tiny bit might make me yearn for more just to avoid going thru these symptoms all over again. That is something i'm trying to avoid completely. I don't want to depend on any pills/meds of any sort ever again until i'm atleast 70 yrs old.

Whats strange was the difference in sneezes. Yesterday and the day before my sneezing fits lasted for 4 sneezes. Normally 1 sneeze and i'm good. Today, i'm down to two sneezes at a time. Not sure if that makes any sense at all or if that's jibber-jabber. Yawning seemed to have calmed down.

I'm not sure about the withdrawals, these aren't even remotely close to what i experienced when I tried cold turkey. But now that i'm on a long acting opiate, i'm not sure where i'm supposed to be at in withdrawal severity. I even afraid my back pain will be just as bad as it used to be when cold turkeying off opioids. Debilitating!!!

With all the addiction problems i'm in, i'm too afraid to ask my dr for any perscriptions other than what has already been perscribed to me.

Your response was and is greatly appreciated beyond words. I truly dont have anyone else to go to for advice as the one person i was supposed to be detoxing with fell off the wagon within a week of quitting. Thank you!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Okay, i'm officially into day 7 and about an hour or so, the bath earlier helped immensely. The goosebumps haven't reared its head as much as it used to. The yawning has toned down, sweating is lessening. Advil killed any abdominal cramping.

I just ran to the pharmacy to pick up multivitamins (which includes b-12), fiber, imodium, and melatonin and felt almost normal, almost. This gives me hope that I am past the hard part. I dunno if it's the caffene or what but I almost feel like my motivation is coming back.

Lower back pain is minimal, still there, but i got my lidocaine patch on. It should start working within the hr.

Thank you for your patience, compassion and advice. I think i had a moment of weakness and all i needed was a shoulder to lean on.

I remember a time in my life that the worst pill i ingested was 800mgs of ibuprophin, i'm going back to that. Opiates didnt ruin my life but i was on a downward spiral and i was going down faster than the titanic. (too soon?)

I know my detox dr wont appreciate me veering from his course of action, but i cant wait to see the pissed off look on his face when i tell him that i dont want, nay NEED, any more suboxone. He may not have taken me seriously when i told him that i was finished with my addiction. But here i am, i think i'm over hump day.

Only worry now is that i need to get all 4 wisdom teeth removed in the near future. I'll ask my dr for some ibuprophin when it comes down to that.

Thank you again for all your support in my time of weakness. I truly honestly appreciate it.

Globie :D