It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi gang, I'm new to the site (please see introduction). I was hoping for some recommendations or success stories. I have run out of my prescription, while my doctor is on vacation. The doctor who is filling in for him this week was good enough to write me my prescription, but we later learned (he didn't know either) that he isn't cleared to prescribe Suboxone. I am now working feverishly to find a way to get a small 5-day prescription to keep me straight until my doctor returns on Monday and I can get my regular refill.

I have plenty of past empty bottles to demonstrate that I am indeed a legit subxone patient AND I can get the prescription sheet from the doctor filling in for my PCP.

Where would you go to get a small, emergency prescription? I am leery of going into one of the drug clinics here in the city because I'm on a proper program already. Worst case, I suppose I could try an ER. As we all know, this will definitely be an emergency in another 24-48hrs.

Thx for any/all advice.

-R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Mayfair,

I honestly don't know if you can go anywhere and get a sub script right away. This is what I would suggest you do. Any doctor can write a prescription for suboxone for PAIN without having the special waiver. I would call the doctor who is stepping in and ask him to write it for pain. Unless you already took the script in to the pharmacy and they were the ones who told you he couldn't write it? That might be a complication, if the pharmacy wants to get pissy. But I can't think of any other way to get your meds without interruption.

Any other ideas, guys? Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Thanks for the help!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thx HM, that was a great idea. Unfortunately for me, when I called the doc's office this afternoon to request this small, emergency Rx, I learned that even the fill-in doc had left for vacation. Quite literally, there were no doctors in the office today! At first, I was pretty crushed. My wife and I had spent all morning calling out-patient clinics and various doctors off of Suboxone-dot-com, with no luck. Docs were all out for the weekend and clinics wanted to go through the whole program intake process. I ONLY NEED 3 PILLS!!!

By afternoon, I was downright desperate, even calling old friends to see if they knew where I might be able to find a pill on the street. I would have gladly paid $100 for a single 8mg pill to get me through the weekend. HOWEVER, in my desperation and having the mentality of a drug addict, I went back to the pharmacy that refused to fill the Rx and asked for the slip of paper back. I told them that I needed it to show the drug clinic my current dosage. They gave it back to me and, luckily, they hadn't written VOID on the slip of paper, or even tried to process it in their computer. I took the slip of paper to one of my old pharmacies downtown and they filled the Rx, no questions asked. I am an atheist, but this did not stop me from expressing a brief moment of agnostic thanks to God, the Universe, Zeus, or whomever/whatever allowed this miracle to take place. Haha!

All kidding aside, in my years of Suboxone treatment I've noticed this a lot. Some pharmacies are sticklers for the special DEA code that denotes the right to prescribe Suboxone for drug-dependence, while other pharmacies (usually mom-n-pops) treat it like any other Sched-III drug. If you have a valid Rx, you get your medicine.

It will never cease to amaze and INFURIATE me how our country makes it twice as hard to get substance-abuse treatment medications than the potentially life-damaging drugs that they are meant to help us kick! I am not a conspiracy theorist, so I chalk this up to the blind, political and beaurocratic inanity of a government that is near-incapable of logical thinking.

HM, thank you so much for your help and your concern. Sorry for the novel. As you get to know me, you'll discover I am sadly NOT a man of few words. :-D

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oh I'm so glad you got your script filled! You're right about us people on suboxone - IN RECOVERY - being given a harder time than those who are still going to several doctors and filling full agonist pain meds. They just keep on filling those, but given the opportunity, so many of them will treat us like shit in a heartbeat. Now of course there are exceptions. So far my pharmacy has been great - no problems with my scripts and they've always treated me with respect.

Oh, and I don't mind your long posts at all. I find them to be well-written and quite interesting. I hope you stick around and post often.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow - what a great ending to your story! I'm so glad things worked out for you & you didn't have to get your Sub off the "street".

You might want to talk to your doctor when he gets back and ask him if he would write your next prescription for an extra pill or two that you could stash in the case of an emergency. Of course, you know your doctor and I don't, so you'll know if he'd even be open to something like that. In any case, you should let him know what happened so next time he doesn't leave you high & dry like he did this time. He could have left orders for the nurse or PA at his office to call in your scrip for you, for example.

-Jack Kornfield