It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:11 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

This is my second time on Suboxone. I was on it for 4 years before and now I have been on it for a little more than a year.

I first went to this doctor who was fine at keeping me at 16mg but he didn't really care too much about me as a patient. He would be in and out in 5-10 mins. I have gone to a new doctor and he is very adamant about taking me down a quarter every time I see him. I practically have to get into with him and tell him I'm just not ready to come down.

I am now prescribed 12mg but I haven't been able to come down to that. I am still buying extra Subs off the street to keep at 14-16mg. I can't seem to come down lower to what he wants me at and I am seriously considering going back to my old doctor who prescribed me the 16mg. I don't know why I can't taper down it's just so difficult for me. After I get done with my GED I do plan on going into rehab to get off this stuff like I did before.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:41 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Sounds like you need a different doctor. I am on for the second time and I regret it every day. I hate being in chains and the pain... Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:06 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hunny, I really hope you get some more replies... the title of your post alone is crying out for help (literally!) and I feel for you. I really do.
I, too, have been on 16mg of Subs for almost 4 years and had a doctor whom every time I went to see would badger me about beginning to taper down. If you KNOW with 100% certainty that you are NOT ready- then who is to tell you you're wrong? I am a firm believer in being our own personal physician, b/c there isn't a human being alive who could possibly understand what WE are going through (in our head, and in our body).
Your doctor may be pressuring you for the wrong reasons. For example, this is a fairly new medication and IT IS EXTREMLY controversial (did you know all an MD doc has to do to become certified to prescribe Suboxone is attend a TWO day seminar about the medication?!). And in my experience (reminder: 4 long yrs taking this, and several different doctors), 70-80% of Suboxone physicians "believe" that its use should be specifically for detox purposes. However, there are those of us who take it, that have found Suboxone to be a miracle drug, and a literal life saver. I'm still on the fence about how long I am going to take it (at one point I even considered being a "Suboxone lifer") but point is: at the end of the day, it is YOUR LIFE. And nobody has to wake up every day and live inside your mind, and walk around in YOUR body.
I say: Screw all those judgemental close minded individuals out there who want to shove their uneducated opinions down our throats! And if you need to go back to that 1st doctor, the one who left the decision making up to you, I say do it! Make sure though that you're not staying on Suboxone to avoid reality, or to abuse it in anyway. If you're taking Suboxone improves the quality of your life, then its really a no brainer!
Best of luck to you hunny, and please keep us posted!!! :D

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:28 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi there.

Can I ask, in all the years you've been on suboxone have you undergone therapy? I believe you can't come down because of addictive behavior. Most people (I know not all) don't experience Ny physical effects of tapering until they reach 4,2 even 1 mg. the ceiling effect seems to be well below 16mg (for most people). If you haven't already, you really need to undergo extensive therapy. Or become active in NA. You can't expect suboxone to cure your addictive behaviors. It simply curbs your cravings while you do other work to ensure you've worked through your addictive behaviors.

"the only way out is through"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for the advice. I ended up returning to the 1st doctor who is letting me taper at a speed that is comfortable to me and isn't forcing me down, which leads to sever anxiety. I am also now back on Klonopin like I was before but I am slowly tapering off of it (in 30 day increments rather than stopping at 3 weeks) and it seems to be working fairly well and now I'm able to focus on everything else except the speedy Sub taper.

I'm no longer abusing it by ignoring the doctor's orders and am having no problem taking the prescribed 16mg, sometimes I even am able to take less than that just knowing it's there if I need it. I have been working on getting into therapy every week but at the moment it's usually every other week.

I have also still been looking into rehabs and unfortunately there aren't many that tailor to people trying to detox off of Suboxone without the use of a rushed Suboxone taper and weeks of a hellish existence. But I will keep looking for a little bit until I am sure there is no other option.

Even with the little amount of replies know that you all have helped me greatly and I really appreciate that and will keep posted of how everything goes before and after rehab.

Best of luck to you all.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:23 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

good to see you are doing things at your own speed. Your first post about the dr cutting you back and you buying off the street to make up the difference would have caught up with you so you have made the right move. most people say the celling of this drug is 4-6mg so I think when you are ready you will have less trouble. Its all mind set and yes there is some distress with it too, but like you stated before i think its all about when your ready and you will make the right move. I have never been on the high of a dose so I really don't have much room to talk. just keep posting and reading and you will find it helps you. DB