It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: In need of help
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:48 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello, this is my first time posting and really need some help. Here is a short version of my story. In 2006 I ended up getting shingles and was put on pain medicine for 3 months. I was off for about 2 weeks and then had surgery and was put back on for another month. Again I was off for about two weeks and was in a major car crash. I was in the ICU for 2 weeks being pumped with morphine around the clock. when I was released a RX for ex vics. Well Two weeks later I was still in bad pain so I went back to the Dr and that is when they found 4 broken ribs that they did not find while I was int he hospital. I was give more pain med for another month. When those ran out I noticed that I still had pain through out my body, but did not think I could have a problem. SO this running back to the dr for 3 more years I finally admitted to my self and everyone in my life that I had a problem and I needed help cause I cannot fight it on my own.
On Sept 7 2010 is when I started suboxone. I was on 12mg for about a month and that is when I lowered it to 8mg, It was great, except I noticed I was just replacing one drug for another. That is when I asked my Dr if we could start getting me off of it. She was against it. She said she wanted me on it for a year before we started that. I did not want to keep living my life this way, so when I got my last RX in Feb I started lowering myself. I went from 8mg to 4mg that first week and I was fine. Then in 2 weeks I went to 2mg and again I was fine. I stayed there for 1 week and went to 1mg. Again I was fine. A week later I went to .5mg and still was fine. I stayed at .5 until three days ago when I ran out of my RX. I did not go back to my Dr and she sent me a letter that I was kicked from the program awhile back for not coming, which I understand. Right know I have the worst withdraw I have ever had. I do not know what to do. There is a huge wait to get back in the program. It took me over a month to get in in the first place, plus I really do not want to keep taking these drugs. I want my life back. I just do not know what to do. I am in college and finals are this week. Can anyone help me with anything I can do to ease this withdraw. I will not use a pain pill because that is what got he here in the first place. How long should this last Just any info will help. Thank you for taking the time to read this and respond.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Okay.

Ibuprofen for muscle aches. That's generally enough to take the edge off. I wouldn't suggest codeine preparations as people can abuse them.
OTC sleeping aids can help.
Imodium can help with the diarrhea, but also strangely can help take the edge off other symptoms.

Prescription meds? See your GP.
A strict doloxene regime tapering over 8 days.
Valium is great for relaxing the muscle aches and removing the anxiety. I consider this the ultimate detox med.
Clonidine can help with the teary eyes, nose and sweating.

Warm showers. Lots of warm showers.
Keep warm when it's cold.
Plenty of rest.
Jacuzzi (if it's available) offers really nice relief.
People have told me that Tonic Water helps with the cramps (cos of the Quinine). Unsure if this is a myth, but some swear by it.

Other tips?
Cut out all caffeine for now - this can magnify your WD's.
Take it a day at a time. Don't count the days. Forget what day it is. Forget how long you've been "hanging out" Just keep on keepin on.
Don't listen to people who say it'll last X number of days. Suboxone is so variable it's impossible to know. Just work through it and forget what day it is.
You won't die, you'll just be uncomfortable.
Do the occasional muscle stretch, especially the legs. They love it.
Milk the snake before you sleep else you'll wake up with wet linen.
Give yourself a break.
Find a box set of your favourite HBO series and burn through it.
Whenever you feel you can stomach it, eat something healthy and light. If you're not eating much, take a multi-vite each day.
Keep hydrated. Water is your friend.
The moment you feel the symptoms are easing off, get back to work as soon as possible.

Nothing feels better than when your withdrawals begin to ease. When you finally feel you're "in the clear" you'll feel like you're floating. You'll have a new appreciation for freedom.

If you have an understanding GP they may give you a med certificate saying you've got a nasty bug.

Honestly man, given that your dance with addiction was over a brief period and related to pain management, and you haven't resorted to finding drugs illicitly and dabbled with that nasty culture, I'd say your chances at staying on the path are quite good.

Stay strong.

Post subject: great response
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:12 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

I think what tearje3ker wrote was great.
If you are not interested in going back on Sub to do a longer taper then do what he says plus, although he said this but I want to underline it, drink LOTS of water. Flush your kidneys....and ask your PCP for Clonodine like tearj3ker said.
Clonodine will lower your blood pressure, make you feel less agitated and also help you sleep. If you are not working you could also take it during the day when you are feeling crap and then you can sleep some of the first few days when w/d are the worst.

Try try try to walk, work out some. it does help. It's hard and I've never been able to do it when in w/d except just before getting on Sub.
Steam room. I did that when detoxing off of vicodin and its great. Take B6 and B12 vitamins for energy and somewhere on the forum is a detox diet that includes vitamins that I've read from other sources is helpful. Detox baths are also helpful and if you google them you might get some ideas.

Like he said, give yourself a break.....try not to obsess about every feeling and symptom. If your pcp would be up for it getting some ativan or some other benzo for just a few days would help and since you got on meds due to pain I agree that you will probably have a good outcome and do well. I'm not a fan of recovering addicts using benzos but sometimes they are needed and in your case I think it'd be ok.

Good luck...know you have people here pulling for you....write about how you are feeling on the forum as a way to pass time, let us know how you are doing, and as a way to get it all out of your head.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Thanks for the help
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:34 am 
New Poster
New Poster

My biggest this is not being able to sleep. In the last two days I have not been able to get ANY sleep. The reason for that is my body will get so got I feel like I am on fire. I have not found a way to help that at all. Plus my stomach feels like its in knots and its rumbling and its loud and very uncomfortable. Oh yeah lets not forget about the restless legs. But the biggest thing is the feeling for being on fire cause that makes my anxiety go through the roof. I have been trying to study because I have finals all week but that is not going so well. Today is my first day asking why did I get myself fall this far. It was hard enough to admit to everyone that I love that I had a problem, but is even harder to admit that now I am sick from it. They do not understand how I am feeling right know. I just hope this is a fast process because its very hard to deal with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:17 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

magnesium for the RLS.... sleep, some like trazadone since it is not addictive and many have no problems with rebound when its stopped.

I wish I could say this will be over in a week but I doubt it. Its a very strong opiate and due to the partial agonist affect I think it takes longer for your natural chemicals to come back on line.

Hang in there... good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The sleep thing is a difficult one if you can't see a Doc.

Valium. Just be careful because if you take it for a coupla weeks expect bounce-back anxiety when you come off it. This edginess can lead to a desire to self medicate with . . . .

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:26 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I just wanted to update everyone. Well for some reason I feel great today. I am a little on the tired side but that is about it. I still do have the restless leg thing when I go to lay down but that is it. I had three bad days and I think I am at the end of this. At least I hope. I will keep you updated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 12:55 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That's fantastic man.

Sub is such an unpredictable beast. Sometimes the detox can be short, other time painful and prolonged.

It feels great when you come out the other side :) Now you just gotta keep busy.