It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: need help
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:36 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi,

I think I have already started a thread but then the phone rang and I lost it. I am sorry if this is a repeat and I didnt finish my first post.

I am on 6mg of sub right now.. trying to wean off as soon as I can. I have found another treatment that I am willing to give a good try too but need to be off of the sub for about a month. Can I get some advice on how to get to a lower dose pretty quickly? Actually I plan to switch over to Morphine for a bit but just dont know if I can switch from the 6mg straight to morphine with out suffereing pretty bad. Any advice?

For instance... could I drop 2mg every three days till I get to 2 then jsut stop for a few days till I feel wd then start the morphine.. or can I take sub one day and then the morphine the next?

thanks for any imput. I will check back later to see if anyone answered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi birdie and welcome to the forum. Yes, you can go straight from sub to morphine without any problems. (It's the other way around that you can't do without going into precipitated withdrawals.) I am concerned, however, that that might be a very dangerous move. May I ask what is your reasoning for that? I know for me doing something like that would get out of control very badly very fast. Of course that's me and it's not my place to assume that you're the same.

If you decide to wean off the sub alone, then yes, you are going to have withdrawals. Even if you taper from 6 mg, dropping by 2 mg every day or so, you'll still experience lots of discomfort.

I hope this answers your questions. Good luck with whatever plan you have in mind. And please, do be careful.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Re: need help
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:39 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

birdie wrote:
Hi,

I think I have already started a thread but then the phone rang and I lost it. I am sorry if this is a repeat and I didnt finish my first post.

I am on 6mg of sub right now.. trying to wean off as soon as I can. I have found another treatment that I am willing to give a good try too but need to be off of the sub for about a month. Can I get some advice on how to get to a lower dose pretty quickly? Actually I plan to switch over to Morphine for a bit but just dont know if I can switch from the 6mg straight to morphine with out suffereing pretty bad. Any advice?

For instance... could I drop 2mg every three days till I get to 2 then jsut stop for a few days till I feel wd then start the morphine.. or can I take sub one day and then the morphine the next?

thanks for any imput. I will check back later to see if anyone answered.

You can start opiates any time after taking Suboxone. The problem is, with the blockade effect of the Naloxone you probably won't feel the morphine/other opiates at first. Usually you want to wait 24-36 hours after your last dose of Suboxone to start taking any opiates if you want them to have any effect.

However, do NOT take Suboxone shortly after you've taken an opiate- this will lead to immediate, horrible precipitated withdrawals.

Hope that helps. I know I'm not a moderator but I'm speaking from personal experience. Opiates shortly after Suboxone is ok, but Suboxone shortly after opiates will be HORRIBLE. ;)

..my $ .02

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:56 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you guys so much. Your for sure were right. I flipped from the sub to Morphine without a problem at all. No sickness or anything. In fact I feel pretty good all in all.

I don't really feel the morphine but I was told that I wouldn't since the amt of sub I was one was much stronger then the dose of morphine I am on. I was also told that after a week or so that the dose I am on may not keep me out of wd? Do you'll think that is true? I can handle some wd symptoms. I just need to be able to function at work and in life. I will have to take about two weeks off of work to recover from the detox mode I have chosen so I cant afford to miss time now due to wd.

I want to thank you all for the information. I heard the same from others but it sure help me to hear it from you guys who are on sub yourselves.

My plan and my Md's plan is to stay at the dose I am on now... 15 mg of long acting morphine 2x daily for the next two weeks. My Md says we will play it by ear if we need to increase the dose then. I hope not since I can function well not, not high at at all. I do have some sweating that comes and goes but had that with sub too. So no difference really. It only been since the 15th that I flipped over. time will tell I am sure.

Again, thanks for the information.

Let me say... by no means am I saying anyone else should do this. If I did not have a date set for a total detox I would of never taken this chance. I feel pretty confident that I wont abuse the morphine. I have given them to a trusted friend that will dole them out to me every other day. He gives me 3 pills every other day and I see him again when its time for my other doses. I feel pretty lucky this guy is willing to help me. He is from a AA meeting I have been going to for about a yr. We meet at noon meetings.

Again... Ty all. And for those still struggling to get clean, my prayers are with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:07 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I just thought I would update everyone. I also would like to thank you for answering my questions. It saved me time and I will be able to get the treatment sooner. I just sent my EKG to the person who is offering my treatment and now only waiting for my Liver function test results. As far as my EKG ... it passed. My Md said it looked good but I was told that the Md's don't know what they are looking for. But yhorayyy... it meets the standards.

I am worried about my liver though. I have read that sub can be hard on the liver and my sub doctor never checked any blood work since I have been on it.

It was also suggested by the person who will be doing my treatment that in-patient rehab would be a good idea also. I am checking now if my insurance will pay for in-house. I want this to be my last rodeo at this crap. I am sick and tired of it. I am tired of being dependent on drugs to function.

Any how.... If anyone is interested in how my experience goes I am willing to post it here. I am not looking for a cure for my addiction but a way to manage it without depending on a drug.

Are we allowed to post a You tube thing here? If so I would like to post a guy who has been involved wih AA for over twenty years .... I didn't see it in the rules but I may have over looked it. Anyone know?

Post subject: one more question
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:21 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Does anyone ever use the chat section of this forum? I have check there several times and no one is ever there. Is there a time a chat is set up.

I also forgot to say how I am doing on the morphine. This morning is the first time I actually feel it. I am a early riser and take it with my coffee. I might have to increase my dose but going to give it a few more days to see how I am doing. I dont want to be high and going to work, but not in wd either. Fine line I am trying to work here. I am not suppose to be drinking coffee according to my MD. I began having panic attacks recently. I never had them before. My pvt Md thinks they are due to the sub. Something about how it attaches to the OR1. The or1 is what regulates whatever chemical needed or not needed for anxiety. It all went over my head a bit but my doctor took so much time to try and explain to me how the sub works that I hated to say "I dont understand a word your saying" lol. A great guy though.

I see him again next week.. ( or his NP) for my lab work. He has been great in helping me get off suboxone. He almost gave me ativan untill I told him I was on suboxone. Then he shook his head and said that I will just have to learn how to get thru it. DId suggest kava to help with the anxiety. If that didnt work he was willing to give me neurotin for the anxiety. He is all for me getting the ibogaine treatment to help with my addiction problem. He said he cant really say too much since it is illegal here in the states but he has done everything I needed for the screening that was ask of me. Cant beat that with a stick. He is our family MD and I have been seeing him for over 15yrs. Of course I never told him of my addiction. I wish I did now. He know more then I gave him credit for. I was just so ashame of what I did to myself.

Blessing to all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes, you can post You Tube videos here. As for the chat room, it's unfortunate that it's not used more often. Sometimes I go in there and just hang out to see if anyone comes in, but to be honest I haven't done that in awhile. I'll try to go back to doing that again.

About suboxone and your liver - it's isn't harmful to your liver. When it comes to opiates and the liver, what's harmful is the tylenol that's often in those pills. Suboxone is a pretty safe medication. I've also never heard of it causing anxiety. I've been on it for over two years (over 16 mg a day) and had terrible anxiety before I started it. I don't take benzos anymore and now use only meditation to control it. I no longer have any anxiety issues other than everyday stress.

Hope this helps. Thanks for the update.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My Suboxone Dr. and my General Practitioner BOTH told me that Suboxone can indeed be harmful to the liver. My sub doctor had me go twice a year for 'liver tests.' Then, just before I quit suboxone, I went for a full physical with my GP and told him I was quitting sub....he didn't know much about sub so between that appointment and my next appointment with him he had read up on sub and he too told me that it was 'potentially' bad for the liver too.

I know sub caused me some kind of weird anxiety....I was very[sup]2[/sup] apprehensive about going to work in the morning, but since I quit sub that irrational fear has disappeared. It may not be a common side effect, but a few of us have experienced some kind of anxiety while on sub.