It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:22 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

I have smoked too long and it has caught up with me. I have an infection or posssible tumor in the middle lobe of my left lung. I am going to have to have a bronchoscope done. They will have to put me out to do this.

I am presently on 12 mg. subutex. I just wondered if anyone knew if the anesthesia would work on me? They probably give the same thing as they do when one has a scope of the colon which is more commonly done. Maybe some of you have had this? I suppose they give versed?sp or something of that order. I have been out of Nursing so long --they have all these new drugs since I nursed in the late 60's and early 70's. If anyone has had anything like this done while on suboxone or subutex would you please tell me something? I am scared and I know I cannot go through this without the anesthesia working. My pulmonologist seemed to know about subutex and said they would work it out but he is from another country and I can hardly understand what he says. I have the printout from Dr.Junig to take to the anesthesoligist.sp!

Please help if you can...I am a nervous wreck about having a tube stuck down my throat into my lungs! I am worried about getting this all worked out if you know what I mean...Thanks to anyone who has any info on this. ......Judy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Suboxone doesn't effect general anesthesia and I know it's never affected me when they've given me versed for procedures. Just this year I had an upper GI endoscopy and they gave me versed along with fentanyl (I have no idea why - it wouldn't have done shit for/to me) and I was just fine. I do know it's not uncommon for them to add fentanyl to it though.

Anyway, you should be just fine, no matter what dose of sub you are on. I don't know anything about that procedure, but will there be any post-op pain or need any meds afterward, do you know? If it's just a scope-type of procedure you may not. It may be similar to an endoscopy in that you'll wake up and go home feeling fine. But I have no idea - I'm just guessing on that part.

I hope this helps.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: reply to hatmker510
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:49 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

hatmaker510 wrote:
Suboxone doesn't effect general anesthesia and I know it's never affected me when they've given me versed for procedures. Just this year I had an upper GI endoscopy and they gave me versed along with fentanyl (I have no idea why - it wouldn't have done shit for/to me) and I was just fine. I do know it's not uncommon for them to add fentanyl to it though.

Anyway, you should be just fine, no matter what dose of sub you are on. I don't know anything about that procedure, but will there be any post-op pain or need any meds afterward, do you know? If it's just a scope-type of procedure you may not. It may be similar to an endoscopy in that you'll wake up and go home feeling fine. But I have no idea - I'm just guessing on that part.

I hope this helps.

[s][s]THANK YOU hat and it does help! my procedure is probably equal to an endoscopy....and besides a real sore throat, I shouldn't have any post -op pain that cannot be treated with advil. 'Thank you so much for this information...this is just what i did not know ..if it affected general anesthesia. Thank you so much for answering so quickly..I was soooo worried.

Judy
[/s][/s]

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:52 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

slipper wrote:
hatmaker510 wrote:

I hope this helps.

[s][s]THANK YOU hat and it does help! my procedure is probably equal to an endoscopy....and besides a real sore throat, I shouldn't have any post -op pain that cannot be treated with advil. 'Thank you so much for this information...this is just what i did not know ..if it affected general anesthesia. Thank you so much for answering so quickly..I was soooo worried.

Judy
[/s][/s]

Dear Hat...I'm sorry i cannot type!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I know they also use propophol (sp?) a lot for these types of procedures as well and it is not affected by sub either. I think you will be fine, my grandma had a couple of these done and just had some minor soreness. I hope it's just an infection and that you breeze thru the procedure!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:36 pm 

They are now calling it "Jackson Juice"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes, you should be fine!! I had a c-section on Sub, and I was concerned about both the spinal and the possibility of having to be knocked out if something went wrong. The doc made it very clear to me that the Sub would have NO EFFECT on general anesthesia. It certainly had no effect on the spinal....

As for the after pain, I think you are right that you will be fine. My mom has chronic lung disease and she has to get bronchoscopies (sp.?) on a regular basis. She just gets very sleepy for a while afterward and has a sore throat. No severe pain.

You'll be fine!!
laddertipper

Post subject: UPDATE FROM SLIPPER
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:51 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

laddertipper wrote:
Yes, you should be fine!! I had a c-section on Sub, and I was concerned about both the spinal and the possibility of having to be knocked out if something went wrong. The doc made it very clear to me that the Sub would have NO EFFECT on general anesthesia. It certainly had no effect on the spinal....

As for the after pain, I think you are right that you will be fine. My mom has chronic lung disease and she has to get bronchoscopies (sp.?) on a regular basis. She just gets very sleepy for a while afterward and has a sore throat. No severe pain.

You'll be fine!!
laddertipper

Thank you all SO MUCH! I feel as if you guys are my best friends and I don't even know you. I live in a small town where everybody knows me and I cannot or do not have anyone I can talk to like I can you guys on this forum. Thank you so much for the replies and encouragement.

I went back to the doctor Friday and he had checked the xrays and other tests they had done that day and said he did not see any cancer or tumors! He thinks I might have an infection in my lung and that's why he wants to do the ct scan and the bronchoscope. Of course there could be something be I feel much better because he doesn't feel like it is a tumor.

Thank you all for your prayers and concern...I don't know what I would do without this forum. I can't sleep at night and I find myself on the computer reading all the posts.
RULE--- didn't you have something done recently? ...and how did that turn out??....I remember you saying you were in a lot of pain post-op....I sure hope everything is ok with you.